Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Trump - Narcissistic personality disorder

Grim Reaper 6

Does it appear that President Trump suffers from Narcissistic personality disorder   

25 members have voted

1. 1. Does President Trump or does he not suffer from Narcissistic personality disorder

• Do you think that President Trump suffers from Narcissistic personality disorder
    • Do you think that there is really no chance he suffers from Narcissistic personality disorder
    • Do you think that he does maybe have some traits described by Narcissistic personality disorder
    • Do you think he is both has Narcissistic personality disorder and that he also has psychopathic tendnacies.
    • Do you think that he is actually just a psychopath

1 minute ago, DieChecker said:

Probably most Federal Level politicians then....

I honestly think to be successful at politics you need to be a little narcassistic and psychopathic. Probably why those genes have survived in the gene pool.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

I honestly think to be successful at politics you need to be a little narcassistic and psychopathic. Probably why those genes have survived in the gene pool.

Possible. To be a Federal Politician, you first have to believe you deserve to be representing millions of people. Believe that you are just THAT good. So good that people are stupid not to vote for you......

Well, probably not all politicians, but a great number if them probably fit the mold.

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

I voted "Maybe", because he definately displays many if the symptoms, but I dont know to what degree it requires to be a diagnosed, or if there has to be all, or just one, of the symptoms. Just about everyone I know would qualify for one of the symptoms to some degree.

It appears that to fit the description you must meet a number of the personality traits, and when I read the information that describes the condition he is the fist person that enters my mind. The traits described within these links eerily describe the Presidents behavior, he lacks empathy, he always must be right, he is the most intelligent person in any room according to him, and he must always be the center of attention in the room.  So you know how I voted, but we are each entitled to our beliefs and opinions.

Peace

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

You can't really diagnose someone unless you know them personally.

But if you are curious,

https://www.medscape.com/answers/1519417-101764/what-are-the-dsm-5-diagnostic-criteria-for-narcissistic-personality-disorder-npd

Your description certainly is accurate, and it also fits all the traits the President shows every day in his public behavior, and in his tweets. So yes it is possible to diagnose someone who exhibits the symptoms of this disorder to the degree he does.  Why could you not do so, do you think he acts differently in private?

Peace 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

Possible. To be a Federal Politician, you first have to believe you deserve to be representing millions of people. Believe that you are just THAT good. So good that people are stupid not to vote for you......

Well, probably not all politicians, but a great number if them probably fit the mold.

While agree you must feel that you are worthy and that you going to be a benefit to any public office you would run for is a completely normal behavior. But President Trumps behavior go way way beyond that, I know that in a way you do support him, and that is fine, but you are also an honest person at least according to your actions here on this forum. So I know that you can see the same traits he has that I do whether you choose to admit it or not. Either way I will still respect your opinion, and I know you also give those who disagree with you the same respect.

Peace

• Like 1

Though there are certain professions that select for sociopathic traits. Amongst corporate executives (where many politicians originate) it is conservatively estimated at 4 times the frequency of the general population.

• Like 5

Another point is to what extent such traits could be seen as beneficial in a leader, under the right circumstances? The hope is that the rest of the time, the checks and balances of a democracy keep such leaders in check. Some very famous leaders throughout history have obviously been way at the far end of the scale.

• Like 2

I certainly agree that this is a trait many leaders certainly exhibit, and in some cases it's may be good trait to have. However, in most cases like you stated the Democratic side of the Governments do act as a balance that keeps these people in check. However, we have all seen cases where that for what ever reason did not occur, and during the last 2 to 3 hundred years Nazi German and Adolf Hitler standout as the Worst example of what can occur if a Narcissistic, Psychopathic, and Psychotic leader is allowed to exercise their authority over other people. The question is does President Trump fit the description as outlined in the OP of this thread, and would he be a danger to the Country and the World if he were allowed to go unchecked.

Now, I don't claim to know for certain what he would do, but I do believe he certainly has all the tendencies that would not allow a good out come for America and possible the entire world in my humble opinion, so I do believe he is dangerous.

Peace 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

I certainly agree that this is a trait many leaders certainly exhibit, and in some cases it's may be good trait to have. However, in most cases like you stated the Democratic side of the Governments do act as a balance that keeps these people in check. However, we have all seen cases where that for what ever reason did not occur, and during the last 2 to 3 hundred years Nazi German and Adolf Hitler standout as the Worst example of what can occur if a Narcissistic, Psychopathic, and Psychotic leader is allowed to exercise their authority over other people. The question is does President Trump fit the description as outlined in the OP of this thread, and would he be a danger to the Country and the World if he were allowed to go unchecked.

Now, I don't claim to know for certain what he would do, but I do believe he certainly has all the tendencies that would not allow a good out come for America and possible the entire world in my humble opinion, so I do believe he is dangerous.

Peace 

Not to mention Stalin. When the system of government allows for people like this to have too much power, it rarely ends well.

Who really knows what Trump would be like though? One observation is that his more grandiose claims and schemes never amount to anything. It's highly likely they were never designed to do anything other than get a specific reaction. His current posturing against China seems obviously designed to divert from his performance. There are concerns that democracy in the west could soon be in decline though, with a rise of nationalism and (populist) autocratic styled leaders in general.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Horta said:

Not to mention Stalin. When the system of government allows for people like this to have too much power, it rarely ends well.

Who really knows what Trump would be like though? One observation is that his more grandiose claims and schemes never amount to anything. It's highly likely they were never designed to do anything other than get a specific reaction. His current posturing against China seems obviously designed to divert from his performance. There are concerns that democracy in the west could soon be in decline though, with a rise of nationalism and (populist) autocratic styled leaders in general.

I agree with that we do not know how he would react without the checks and balances in our constitution along with the other Political Parties that keep him in check. I am also afraid that democracy is on the decline, but that doesn't mean it is dead. I think some new leadership in our Government along with a popular and strong leader could rejuvenate democracy in America. It may be only wishful thinking on my part, but I will continue to hope until the death rattle can be heard around the globe. 

Peace

Sometimes I can't decide if it's genuinely mental illness like NPD or if it's simply the result of never being told 'no' your entire life. When you have practically unlimited resources and always have, it's more or less impossible to truly relate to many others. You live in a bubble where things always go your way, and even when they don't, you have a nice soft pillow to break your fall. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I don't know enough about psychology and psychiatry to make a diagnosis, but I see him as some sort of emotional cripple...Extremely Insecure, which he overcompensates for in numerous distasteful ways.   ?  He seems entirely Ruled by his EGO.    I'm also convinced the man is not all that bright.  :huh:   What is most interesting, to me, is how he seems to trigger  either disgust or near worship from others.  

Edited by lightly
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, lightly said:

I don't know enough about psychology and psychiatry to make a diagnosis, but I see him as some sort of emotional cripple...Extremely Insecure, which he overcompensates for in numerous distasteful ways.   ?  He seems entirely Ruled by his EGO.    I'm also convinced the man is not all that bright.  :huh:   What is most interesting, to me, is how he seems to trigger  either disgust or near worship from others.  

I certainly agree with your post. I also don't know what triggers the absolute Disgust or the Hero Worship that he receives. The fact is until you mentioned it I never really though of it that way, but you are right that is exactly what is going on. I am going to think about this a little more, hopeful you will also and if you come to a conclusion please add it here and mention me, I would  like to hear your thoughts on this matter. Now if your not comfortable posting them openly, please send me a PM.

Peace and thanks for your interesting thoughts on this subject they are a valuable insight into the different ways people view things:tu: 

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ROFL... great poll. Four answers that say that President Trump suffers from Narcissistic Personality Disorder, and the fifth answer that he is a psychopath. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

Trump is a Narcissist of the first order. He can not STAND being pointed out as in error. He claims to be smarter than everyone, including those who specialize in matters such as infectious diseases. 

Well you just described 99% of the posters on UM. :lol:

All humans are narcissistic.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2

13 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

ROFL... great poll. Four answers that say that President Trump suffers from Narcissistic Personality Disorder, and the fifth answer that he is a psychopath. 

I don't know how old you are, but apparently your having difficulty reading.:D  The second question in the poll clearly says " Do you think that there is really no chance he suffers from Narcissistic personality disorder"  I actually put that one in there for you, It wasn't suppose to be a trick question!!!!!!! ;)

Peace

8 hours ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

Such as wearing a mask in public? Or when he down played the seriousness of the virus?

Please, educate me

You can't educate hate or irrationality out of people.  The mask? You take a single example and build a case for him "ignoring health professionals"?  Enjoy wallowing in it.  I am SOOOO going to enjoy his victory in November  :w00t:

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

Your description certainly is accurate, and it also fits all the traits the President shows every day in his public behavior, and in his tweets. So yes it is possible to diagnose someone who exhibits the symptoms of this disorder to the degree he does.  Why could you not do so, do you think he acts differently in private?

Peace 

Ummmm, maybe I shouldn't say "not possible". More it's just ethically dubious and generally frowned upon to diagnose someone from a distance. 

Since from a distance you don't know their personal thoughts, feeling, and interpretations around things. History, memoreis, etc. People can act pretty different in different settings.

And I'm talking about professionals. People can obviously do whatever they want.

Some interesting things, the APA (American Psychological Association) and AMA (American Medical Association) members aren't allowed to do it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldwater_rule

Edit: for the record, I did vote narcassistic. I felt that way since he first started running. 

Edited by spartan max2
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

I don't know how old you are, but apparently your having difficulty reading.:D  The second question in the poll clearly says " Do you think that there is really no chance he suffers from Narcissistic personality disorder"  I actually put that one in there for you, It wasn't suppose to be a trick question!!!!!!! ;)

Peace

Oh yes... so it does. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

Well you just described 99% of the posters on UM. :lol:

All humans are narcissistic.

Except.... many of us can and do admit when we are wrong. Speaking for myself, I can honestly say that if I am corrected on a false statement I've made, I haven't turned around and claimed I never said it.  Something that Mr. Trump does on the regular.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, and then said:

You can't educate hate or irrationality out of people.  The mask? You take a single example and build a case for him "ignoring health professionals"?  Enjoy wallowing in it.  I am SOOOO going to enjoy his victory in November  :w00t:

I never realized what a coward you are. Rather than provide proof for your position, you fall back on insults and deflection. 

Someone recently pointed out that Mr. Trump elicits one of two responses from people: either abject repugnance, or total devotion.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Manwon, and others in all due respects to the threads topic tweetys rather lack luster, epic failure of a response to covid19 is another great example of his various mental disorders,

Of course other whole threads are devoted to tweetys poor response to covid19 being it was so bad and cost so many more lives.

And jodie

1 hour ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

I never realized what a coward you are. Rather than provide proof for your position, you fall back on insults and deflection

Is a trade mark of tweety and his worshippers.

• Like 5

Sincere question: Does it matter if President Trump is egotistical or narcissistic? 

Whatever his personality is, I’m sure we’ll live through it. His political actions are constrained by the Constitution, so there’s nothing to worry about there. I voted for him because I knew a businessman would have a better grasp of the economy than a politician. He hasn’t certainly hasn’t disappointed me in that regard. 

Edited by simplybill
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, simplybill said:

Sincere question: Does it matter if President Trump is egotistical or narcissistic? 

Whatever his personality is, I’m sure we’ll live through it. His political actions are constrained by the Constitution, so there’s nothing to worry about there. I voted for him because I knew a businessman would have a better grasp of the economy than a politician. He hasn’t certainly hasn’t disappointed me in that regard. 

Sincere answer:  a normal amount of those traits usually aren't a problem... but the levels of those and other personality disorders he constantly exhibits are so severe ,and disabling, that he is essentially Disfunctional.  

as for the 'improved' economy....it has been recovering ever since the Cheney/Rumsfeld administration left it teetering on total collapse due to the price of Oil/Gasoline.   EVERYTHING moves by petro.  Most ENERGY is petro produced.  Things like heating and cooling..  It got so bad that the cost of doing business was nearly exceeding revenues.  It has taken this long for the economy to recover from that petro price induced Recession.    IMO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• The topic was locked