Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
19_Kilo

1 in 5 English adults claim Covid a hoax

151 posts in this topic

19_Kilo
Posted (edited)

One in five adults in England believe the current Covid19 pandemic is either a complete hoax or at least is being grossly exaggerated.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/05/22/860947708/1-in-5-in-england-think-the-coronavirus-is-a-hoax

Edited by 19_Kilo
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 7

third_eye

Somebody better do something about them in laws... 

~

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Piney
16 minutes ago, third_eye said:

Somebody better do something about them in laws... 

Bad Chinee!  Bad, bad, bad Chinee !!! :angry:

*smack, smack smack*  

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Manwon Lender
2 hours ago, 19_Kilo said:

One in five adults in England believe the current Covid19 pandemic is either a complete hoax or at least is being grossly exaggerated.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/05/22/860947708/1-in-5-in-england-think-the-coronavirus-is-a-hoax

I know that you believe that this Pandemic is a grossly exaggerated medical situation, you have said this on many other occasions while posting in other thread. But what I don't understand and what you didn't supply in the OP is what is you point here?

I understand it is your belief but normally when someone starts a thread the general concept is to show others why you have your beliefs and what backs them up, and the link you provided does neither. So I am confused about your motivation and I really don't know how to respond to this?

Please make your intentions clear, and think about this the next time you start a thread, it's an easy mistake, that I have also made many many times in the past when I started threads.

Peace

bee
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, 19_Kilo said:

thanks for that .... and it doesn't surprise me at all... in fact I think the numbers in reality could be higher - that's the general impression I get from the haphazard chats I have with people and neighbours - 

also from that link...

quote - In addition, researchers found nearly 3 out of 5 adults in England believe the government is misleading them to some extent about the cause of the virus,

yeah the impression I get is that the majority of people aren't buying the simple  'it came from bats' explanation...  

quote- and nearly 1 in 10 strongly agree that China developed the coronavirus to destroy the West — which is utterly false.

interesting.. and it is noted that the author of the article felt the need to add.... 'which is utterly false'

how does he know it's '''utterly false'''.?....... the answer to that is he doesn't..

That possibility cannot be ruled at at this stage... also... it can't be ruled out that China in collusion with treacherous elements in the West may be behind it in some way..... 

and / or there may be a level of collusion with the World Health Organization ... under the leadership of Tedros..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The British have been firmly behind the Lockdown to Protect the NHS from collapse... but the longer this all goes on the less support it will sustain especially as the pressure on hospitals isn't what was anticipated... there are many empty beds and the people who need operations for other things are being pushed back because of the Covid 19 panic... and they are suffering physically and mentally because of that.. take a friend of mine who has bowel cancer... she was due to have an operation to relieve problems, improve standard of life and extend life.... in April...but it was cancelled and no date has been for it to go ahead... I'm not going to go into details but what she goes through because of this.... no one would want to go through.... 

Edited by bee
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

Setton
5 hours ago, 19_Kilo said:

And about 20% of people don't hold Level 1 qualifications or above.

What a coincidence.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

freetoroam
1 hour ago, bee said:

The British have been firmly behind the Lockdown to Protect the NHS from collapse.

True, because it was in trouble before the virus hit us. I have always paid my NI and taxes until end of March when I lost my job, the NHS is paid for by the people of this country, so ofcourse we do no want to see our 'investment' drained, but we have been seeing it drained for years.

When the government told people to protect the NHS, it was from collapse, but it looked better to say protect the staff. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

freetoroam

The research was based on surveys of 2,500 adults earlier this month and published in the journal

What age?  what religion? How were the questions set out, eg: were choices limited? 

• Like 3

Horta
1 hour ago, bee said:

quote- and nearly 1 in 10 strongly agree that China developed the coronavirus to destroy the West — which is utterly false.

interesting.. and it is noted that the author of the article felt the need to add.... 'which is utterly false'

how does he know it's '''utterly false'''.?....... the answer to that is he doesn't..

Because, unlike some of our anti scientific leaders, this is the overwhelming consensus amongst the relevant scientists who have looked at the genome.

it can't be ruled out that China in collusion with treacherous elements in the West may be behind it in some way..... 

and / or there may be a level of collusion with the World Health Organization ... under the leadership of Tedros..

C'mon bee, that's "out there". That has nothing to support it even as speculation, unless you are a politician trying to take the heat off your limp response to pandemic. At this stage, there's no reason even to consider it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Iilaa'mpuul'xem

Good on them, let them get the virus and when they are gasping for oxygen in need of medical assistance, remind them all its just a hoax. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 1

OpenMindedSceptic

Firstly I believe there is a virus, covid 19. 

But, the figures are so skewed. 

We only test for coronavirus (not covid 19 specifically). And then there is no testing for viral load. 

Most people have small amounts of coronavirus. But there's not half the population dying. Yet they would be told they are covid positive. A clear mismatch with the intent of the testing. 

The death figures from covid are likely to be relatively low. The response though has been pretty much out of whack completely. 

No wonder that not a single nightingale hospital had a patient and that all but 2 or 3 hospitals coped within their normal processes. 

And why so little coverage of the risk factors? Overweight, vitamin D deficient and underlying health problems, especially diabetes? You're in danger. Reasonable weight range, decent vitamin D levels, no underlying health conditions? You'll almost certainly be fine. 

No wonder the conspiracy theorists are rife, there's huge questions over the disproportionate (panicked) response. 

• Like 3

Br Cornelius

The lock down has kept fatalities low, how is that so difficult to understand.

Br Cornelius

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

DieChecker

That's a remarkable number, if true. I suspect this may be a result of the polling method, rather then a real representative number. Land line phone polls are just crap. So many people just hang up, or dont answer. So mainly the old, the mental, and the bored, answer these polls.

At least in my opinion.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

stereologist
5 hours ago, bee said:

The virus has been sequenced since January. That RNA genome is being tracked as it mutates. That is how we know LA was infected from Asia and New York from Europe. In fact a super spreader was identified in New Rochelle, NY as one of the main reasons the outbreak was so large so fast.

The genome shows that it is not manipulated. In fact it includes a protein spike that models suggest would not be effective. The models are wrong. If someone were to have made the spike protein, they would have skipped over the protein in the virus and used something other than the protein because the models suggest it would be a bad choice. Once again evolution found a great choice for the spike protein.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Cookie Monster
1 hour ago, Br Cornelius said:

Br Cornelius

The purpose of the lockdown is to manage hospital capacity.

It does so not by keeping deaths low, but by spreading them out until the time arises when herd immunity has been developed. A lot of people seem to struggle with this concept, its like they can only think about the present.

Its strange, like they lack forward vision or something.

• Like 1

stereologist
50 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

That's a remarkable number, if true. I suspect this may be a result of the polling method, rather then a real representative number. Land line phone polls are just crap. So many people just hang up, or dont answer. So mainly the old, the mental, and the bored, answer these polls.

At least in my opinion.

People that do polling know how to do polling. They would not fall for such mistakes.

The number of people required for a poll is based on modeling. The times to call. The pool of numbers. All of these factors and many more are considered in the design of the poll to get a good result.

• Thanks 1

stereologist
4 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

It does so not by keeping deaths low, but by spreading them out until the time arises when herd immunity has been developed. A lot of people seem to struggle with this concept, its like they can only think about the present.

It can also stop a disease. China claims it stopped the disease.

• Like 2

Br Cornelius
6 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

This shows a poor understanding of what can be achieved through a lockdown. Extra time allows more information which in turn allows for more effective treatments to develop.
The herd immunity idea is a particularly right wing Darwinian idea of survival of the fittest. It is not the basis of the scientific advice.

Br Cornelius

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Setton
1 hour ago, Br Cornelius said:

Br Cornelius

Because a significant chunk of the population are just plain stupid. 

Not that they don't understand specifics like preventative and curative research and hospital capacity, just outright thick.

Now for no reason at all, definitely not as an example, here's another post:

12 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

Cookie Monster
9 minutes ago, Br Cornelius said:

This shows a poor understanding of what can be achieved through a lockdown. Extra time allows more information which in turn allows for more effective treatments to develop.
The herd immunity idea is a particularly right wing Darwinian idea of survival of the fittest. It is not the basis of the scientific advice.

Br Cornelius

You seem to think the strategy is to keep death low while the planet waits for a vaccination.

When you look at the time is takes to develop a vaccine and produce it in sufficient enough quantities to have a meaningful impact then here in the UK our Government scientists have said it will be 18 months minimum. I note in the US Trump has thrown American industry behind developing one and seems to think it will be a matter of months. If someone believes him, then its their right to criticise the UK stance. Alternatively, if they go with the scientists then your view is wrong.

Our strategy in the UK is not to prevent death from coronavirus because thats impossible. Its to let the virus go through our population while the NHS capacity is managed to make sure anyone that needs intensive care gets it. In essence, instead of a massive number of deaths in a very short-term we are spreading the deaths out over a longer time-span. The end total deaths will be the same.

One criticism of media hysteria which some people are buying into is they are neglecting to look at the hospital capacity in their country. If they have a high hospital capacity then it means a higher death rate over a shorter time-span. But of course, such people arent actually interested in the science underpinning their countries approach. Particularly in the USA. They just want to hate on Trump and are deliberately closing down their minds playing the game of bias confirmation that Trump is a bad president.

You are one of those people, a known lefty snowflake who isn't interested in facts or science. Your want your particular world view to be true and are unable to engage in honest, open, unbiased, critical thinking. And your Darwinian racist slur just shows your distorted thinking where you want people who dont buy into the hysteria that you do, to be evil mean nasty people.

But, I dont take it to heart, you are just being you. And I will have the final laugh too when Trump gets re-elected LMAO.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Cookie Monster
28 minutes ago, stereologist said:

It can also stop a disease. China claims it stopped the disease.

How can China stop a disease which is firmly entrenched around the planet?

Unless it becomes a hermit kingdom the disease will continue to re-enter until they have herd immunity. Actually, lets be totally truthful, China has already had a second wave of infections and is now waiting for its third.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

stereologist
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

How can China stop a disease which is firmly entrenched around the planet?

Unless it becomes a hermit kingdom the disease will continue to re-enter until they have herd immunity. Actually, lets be totally truthful, China has already had a second wave of infections and is now waiting for its third.

It stopped SARS - no herd immunity involved. MERS was stopped without herd immunity. Ebola was stopped in earlier outbreaks without herd immunity or a vaccine. Before vaccines, diseases were stopped by lockdowns.  For example, port were blockaded to prevent cholera from entering a city.

China stopped COVID-19 in Wuhan. As you point out it is possible to reinfect an area. Historically diseases like smallpox, polio, plague, cholera were stopped without herd immunity or a vaccine. Some diseases cannot be stopped without herd immunity created through vaccines.

Is there evidence that we can develop herd immunity to COVID-19?

Edited by stereologist
spelling
  • Like 1

stereologist

I'm not surprised with that 1 in 5 people think that there is some sort of hoax happening. The internet is rife with all sorts of wacko conspiracies and cures and whatever. The conspiracy thread is at 191 items at this time.

It is so easy to bump into the anti-science baloney that is spread across the internet.

My question is why are people so uneducated about basic ideas that they even experiment on themselves with bizarre home made recipes. In the days of patent medicines people had all sorts of junk they could buy at a store. You took it home and mixed it up and swallowed it with the hopes that the witch's brew would do some good. If the victim made it through their ordeal people thought that their concoction worked. Right now with nothing that works available people are swallowing everything from camel urine to HCQ to bleach to mega-dosing vitamins. None of this is shown to work, but people are just putting it in themselves.

This 1 in 5 are the customers for all of the junk being sold. They are the people that keep the faux medicine in business.

Cookie Monster
29 minutes ago, stereologist said:

It stopped SARS - no herd immunity involved. MERS was stopped without herd immunity. Ebola was stopped in earlier outbreaks without herd immunity or a vaccine. Before vaccines, diseases were stopped by lockdowns.  For example, port were blockaded to prevent cholera from entering a city.

China stopped COVID-19 in Wuhan. As you point out it is possible to reinfect an area. Historically diseases like smallpox, polio, plague, cholera were stopped without herd immunity or a vaccine. Some diseases cannot be stopped without herd immunity created through vaccines.

Is there evidence that we can develop herd immunity to COVID-19?

With those viruses they didnt make it out around the world entrenching themselves in the global population.

As coronavirus is already out of the bag (so to speak), unless China is going to build a wall around itself then it isn't done yet. It wont be done until the world has developed global immunity leading to the natural decline of the virus.

• Like 1