Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Woman behind Clap for Carers wants it to end

Still Waters

Clap for Carers should stop next week before its message becomes “negative”, the architect of the gesture has suggested.

Annemarie Plas, a Dutch national living in South London, said the weekly applause for front-line workers has “had its moment” and should end next Thursday after its 10th week.

The 36-year-old said the public “had shown our appreciation” but now it is up to ministers to “reward” key workers.

Ms Plas said: “I think it is good to have the last of the series next Thursday, because to have the most impact I think it is good to stop at its peak. Without getting too political, I share some of the opinions that some people have about it becoming politicised.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/05/22/clap-carers-should-stop-next-week-becomes-negative-says-founder/

I have to agree, in fact the whole clapping thing is becoming boring now but lets keep the beautiful rainbow. 

• Like 2

Tend to agree. Everyone appreciates and admires the health workers & nurses for what they do in this difficult time, but it is becoming a bit over the top & in truth it is the job they trained for. If there was another Gulf war should we pop outside every Thursday evening to clap our soldiers?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ever since we saw a wave of social media posts of nurses performing dance routines in the corridors my support has waned considerably.

They know we are grateful and its time to stop, even some doctors have said its become cringy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Passing through said:

Ever since we saw a wave of social media posts of nurses performing dance routines in the corridors my support has waned considerably.

They know we are grateful and its time to stop, even some doctors have said its become cringy.

Yes, and quite a few wearing full ppe gear.:P

Nooooo, how are we going to show the neighbours we love the NHS more than they do?

The best thing about the NHS Raindow, and children putting them in windows is they've taken it back from the Gays.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

Nooooo, how are we going to show the neighbours we love the NHS more than they do?

The best thing about the NHS Raindow, and children putting them in windows is they've taken it back from the Gays.

I thought that was a pink unicorn.:hmm:

3 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

I agree, it brightens my day seeing all the kids drawings, hanging in the windows or on doors. 

Some of the people living near me go mental, banging their pans with wooden spoons... I have to turn the volume up on Love Island so I can hear the beautiful people I worship speak... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ten years of Tory austerity, the NHS nurses required a pay rise years ago , very sad that it’s taken a pandemic to galvanise the public into agreeing this fact . Why are frontline UK nurses using food banks , because they can’t manage on the salary the job pays , the UK is listed as fifth / sixth richest country in the world !

I’ve never clapped , but have donated financially to the nurses , I understand that it may act as an emotional release for people to clap , each unto there own .

Ill take no lectures for not clapping however from anyone .

19 hours ago, SKINWALKER19 said:

Ten years of Tory austerity, the NHS nurses required a pay rise years ago , very sad that it’s taken a pandemic to galvanise the public into agreeing this fact . Why are frontline UK nurses using food banks , because they can’t manage on the salary the job pays , the UK is listed as fifth / sixth richest country in the world !

I’ve never clapped , but have donated financially to the nurses , I understand that it may act as an emotional release for people to clap , each unto there own .

Ill take no lectures for not clapping however from anyone .

A couple of points to think about.

Everybody that works in the public sector, nurses, police, council workers, civil servants, teachers etc. the people that essentially are paid through the tax raised from the private sector, are not the ones being furloughed with the prospect of losing their jobs if this goes on much longer. When all those people in the private sector go out of business or are made redundant, the revenue stream from them will dry up & there just won't any money pay their wages.

The people most likely to come off worse in all this is everybody that doesn't work in the public sector and pay tax i.e. small businesses, pubs, restaurants, garages, factories, shops etc.

You say about '10 years of Tory austerity' Where would we be now I wonder if instead of 'Tory austerity' we'd had ten years of 'Labour proligacy'  remember......"sorry, there is no money left" (they're one of the reasons we had ten years of austerity) I doubt we could afford a furlough scheme.

Edited by itsnotoutthere

33 minutes ago, itsnotoutthere said:

A couple of points to think about.

Everybody that works in the public sector, nurses, police, council workers, civil servants, teachers etc. the people that essentially are paid through the tax raised from the private sector, are not the ones being furloughed with the prospect of losing their jobs if this goes on much longer. When all those people in the private sector go out of business or are made redundant, the revenue stream from them will dry up & there just won't any money pay their wages.

Well this will come as a shock - I agree (more or less) with you!

I do think all key workers who have helped get the country through the crisis so far deserve some recognition. However, the financial situation means a pay rise is impractical for all. In my opinion, only the low paid public sector key workers (nurses and carers) should see a pay rise. For the rest, perhaps additional leave entitlement is a better reward.

What we should not see is a pay cut to public sector key workers to bail out private companies. Don't forget, many of these companies have continued rewarding shareholders while having tax payers (including those in the public sector) pay their employees salaries. That includes a pay freeze or a rise of less than inflation.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Setton said:

Well this will come as a shock - I agree (more or less) with you!

I do think all key workers who have helped get the country through the crisis so far deserve some recognition. However, the financial situation means a pay rise is impractical for all. In my opinion, only the low paid public sector key workers (nurses and carers) should see a pay rise. For the rest, perhaps additional leave entitlement is a better reward.

What we should not see is a pay cut to public sector key workers to bail out private companies. Don't forget, many of these companies have continued rewarding shareholders while having tax payers (including those in the public sector) pay their employees salaries. That includes a pay freeze or a rise of less than inflation.

I think there is going to be some in depth rethinking on taxation & wealth distribution when this is all over (hopefully).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, itsnotoutthere said:

I think there is going to be some in depth rethinking on taxation & wealth distribution when this is all over (hopefully).

I suppose the simple solution is tax all the companies still paying shareholders to cover the cost of a key worker pay reward (maybe one off rather than a pay rise).

Can't see a Tory government opting for that though...

The one worry that gives me sleepless nights about this virus situation is what happens when the money runs out, as it will if this goes on for any length.

As far as I can see, we'll either die from the virus or die from starvation.

2 hours ago, itsnotoutthere said:

The one worry that gives me sleepless nights about this virus situation is what happens when the money runs out, as it will if this goes on for any length.

As far as I can see, we'll either die from the virus or die from starvation.

The economy will recover with time. My greater concern is how much of our leading industry is snapped up by other countries in the meantime.

What we should not see is a pay cut to public sector key workers to bail out private companies.

Yes, Yes, Yes com on Tories, make my day.

Can't call the public sector the public sector, the whole thing is funded by theft. Tax is theft after all.

2 hours ago, ethereal_scout said:

Yes, Yes, Yes com on Tories, make my day.

Can't call the public sector the public sector, the whole thing is funded by theft. Tax is theft after all.

Well, I don’t know about that.  The public pay their taxes so in effect it is a sector financed by the public, ergo public sector! :whistle: