Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dolphins bring ashore 'gifts' from the sea

Still Waters

A pod of dolphins in Queensland has been bringing ashore gifts from the sea - apparently because they’re missing interaction with humans.

The humpback dolphins usually mingle with visitors at Barnacles Cafe & Dolphin Feeding at Tin Can Bay, north of the Sunshine Coast.

But it’s been weeks since visitors lined up to feed the animals due to coronavirus restrictions.

Among the treasures the marine creatures have provided are sea sponges, barnacle-encrusted bottles and pieces of coral.

https://7news.com.au/news/wildlife/dolphins-bring-gifts-from-sea-in-apparent-response-to-lack-of-human-interaction-c-1049565

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

It makes me think of the look in my dog’s eyes when she brings a toy and I just can’t play with her at that moment.  You feel such a heel.

• Like 5

Fascinating and highly intelligent.

Any chance of a treasure chest filled with gold? :whistle: yeah, I know! greedy human. :blush:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Some will  argue that the dolphins are merely acting on conditioning, because they have received food in exchange for their gifts, in the past. Helping behavior where no action-reward connection is apparent can not be readily explained in this manner, though. Dolphins are known to drive away sharks from human swimmers, and help struggling swimmers to stay afloat and reach shore. 

Edited by bison
  • Like 5

And we come bearing gifts of millions of tons of plastic to provide colour in their once pristine environment. :td:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, bison said:

Some will  argue that the dolphins are merely acting on conditioning, because they have received food in exchange for their gifts, in the past.

There was a young  girl in the news a couple of years ago from Seattle.  She achieved notoriety for feeding neighborhood crows.   The crows began leaving her gifts  at some point.  I think it was some time after the regular feedings.  Studies have shown that crows can recognize human faces.  They knew who she was.   Here is an article from the BBC, so got some wide coverage.

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-31604026

The girl who gets gifts from birds

• Thanks 2

18 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

There was a young  girl in the news a couple of years ago from Seattle.  She achieved notoriety for feeding neighborhood crows.   The crows began leaving her gifts  at some point.  I think it was some time after the regular feedings.  Studies have shown that crows can recognize human faces.  They knew who she was.   Here is an article from the BBC, so got some wide coverage.

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-31604026

The girl who gets gifts from birds

Crows are smartass !

• Like 1