Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is the Loch Ness monster a mutated eel?

jethrofloyd

Is the Loch Ness monster a mutated eel? New documentary explores scientific discovery

https://metro.co.uk/2020/05/20/loch-ness-monster-mutated-eel-new-documentary-explores-new-scientific-discovery-12733814/

Brand new documentary series Mysteries Of The Deep With Jeremy Wade is set to find the answers behind the world’s most iconic and baffling underwater mysteries known to science – including the Loch Ness monster. The deep-sea remains a dangerous and mysterious frontier – a source of strange and unexplained anomalies – from ships that disappear without a trace to unidentifiable marine creatures surfacing in the waters.

Edited by jethrofloyd
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, jethrofloyd said:

Is the Loch Ness monster a mutated eel? New documentary explores scientific discovery

https://metro.co.uk/2020/05/20/loch-ness-monster-mutated-eel-new-documentary-explores-new-scientific-discovery-12733814/

Brand new documentary series Mysteries Of The Deep With Jeremy Wade is set to find the answers behind the world’s most iconic and baffling underwater mysteries known to science – including the Loch Ness monster. The deep-sea remains a dangerous and mysterious frontier – a source of strange and unexplained anomalies – from ships that disappear without a trace to unidentifiable marine creatures surfacing in the waters.

The idea of an eel is not new. The idea grew out of finding a large larval eel in the ocean. It turned out that the adult was not much bigger.

https://mysteriousuniverse.org/2011/05/deep-sea-gigantism-curious-cases-of-mystery-giant-eels/

One of my favorite stories dealing with the matter of giant eels occurred in 1930, where Danish sea scientist Anton Bruun managed to capture something strange-looking in a fishing net off the coast of South Africa. The creature had resembled a fish somewhat, but had a thin, translucent body about six feet in length. Bruun recognized the creature to be a leptocephalus, that is, the larva of some sort of eel. It isn’t uncommon for certain eels to grow to sizes larger than six feet in length; however, their larvae are proportionately much smaller, typically only one-thirtieth the size of the mature adult. If the specimen Bruun managed to capture was only the animal’s larval form, then how big would the adult have to be?

But that site only tells the start of the story.

Find a detailed history of the finds at this site.

https://karlshuker.blogspot.com/2014/12/the-curious-case-of-bottled-sea-serpent.html

Consequently, predictions that mature specimens of L. giganteus would measure over 100 ft were totally unfounded. Instead, when the unknown adult phase of this species was finally collected, it would be very little longer than the leptocephalus, i.e. a mere 6 ft or so.

• Like 2

Eels or other such creatures are the culprit when a loch nessie sighting isnt bs or something like a wave or shadow

10 hours ago, jethrofloyd said:

the world’s most iconic and baffling underwater mysteries known to science

science is not baffled by it -- sounds good though dont it;)

The idea of an oversized eel(not as big as reported) isn't out of the question.I've seen many species of animals and birds here in Oz that have grown way past the max size expected.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, openozy said:

The idea of an oversized eel(not as big as reported) isn't out of the question.I've seen many species of animals and birds here in Oz that have grown way past the max size expected.

Sure, like with humans animals have giantisum too,

I saw a show where some eels loose sex drive, must suck for that eel but all they do is eat and grow

Edited by the13bats
spelling
  • Like 1

I am quite sure that some Loch Ness monsters are eels.   

But some are boat wakes, waves, otters, deer, birds, maybe even the occasional seal.  And many are just bits of wood.

• Like 2

while i was pike fishing a few years back i hooked got to the landing net then lost an Eel that was way bigger than anything Eel my mate and i had ever seen if it was'nt for the fact we were fishing a river inland i would of said it was a conger but  could'nt have been as these only live in saltwater.............. or do they?As on the same token my mate caught a roach while  fishing off a pier That is about 10 miles from the nearest river 

On 5/24/2020 at 8:26 AM, Matt221 said:

while i was pike fishing a few years back i hooked got to the landing net then lost an Eel that was way bigger than anything Eel my mate and i had ever seen if it was'nt for the fact we were fishing a river inland i would of said it was a conger but  could'nt have been as these only live in saltwater.............. or do they?As on the same token my mate caught a roach while  fishing off a pier That is about 10 miles from the nearest river 

When it comes to some sea creatures you never know, sharks will go way up rivers that go from the sea to brakish to fresh,  seems eels that live in fresh go to the sea to mate

I was blown away the time a saw a gigantic manatee and calf off a saltwater pier in titusville fl, yep, real name of that town,

• Like 1

It's an optical delusion.:blink:

As others have pointed out, the Loch Ness "Monster" isn't really any one thing. It's a wake, it's a boat, it's a family of ducks, it's a branch, it's a hoax, it's a sturgeon, it's an eel, etc, etc, you get the idea. 

Same with Bigfoot, same with most things. Misidentifications, fabrications, etc. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

As I've said before on here, these theories are superficially enticing until you actually look at Loch Ness and the fact that it is well overlooked for almost all its length by settlements, businesses, farms, etc.  It is also a busy leisure destination with boats, waterskiers, etc, etc.  Given that it is notoriously low on biomass as well there is just no realistic way anything of size could hide or thrive there.

One of the problems with the eel idea is that before the surgeon's photo the monster was reported as a land creature. It's tracks for seen and described.

Here is a list of the sightings on land.

https://www.lochness.co.uk/sightl.html

It's walking on legs according to the descriptions.

• Thanks 1