Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Still Waters

Alligator in Moscow Zoo dies aged 84

Still Waters

An alligator who survived World War Two in Berlin and was rumoured - wrongly - to have belonged to Nazi leader Adolf Hitler has died in Moscow Zoo.

"Yesterday morning, our Mississippi alligator Saturn died of old age. He was about 84 years old - an extremely respectable age," the zoo said.

Saturn was gifted to Berlin Zoo in 1936 soon after he was born in the US. He escaped the zoo being bombed in 1943.

British soldiers found him three years later and gave him to the Soviet Union.

How he spent the intervening years always remained a mystery, but since July 1946 the alligator has been a hit with visitors in Moscow.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52784240

• Like 3

Cookie Monster
Posted (edited)

I can imagine Hitler in his mansion having important prisoners brought to him.

He then decides if he likes or hates them. If he hates someone Hitler then feeds them to his alligator with maniacal laughing.

Maybe this is where James Bond films get their narrative from for their henchmen.

Edited by Cookie Monster

OpenMindedSceptic

After a couple of months of lockdown, I'm finished with zoos. Can't imagine a wild animal. Locked up like that. 

Seti42
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, OpenMindedSceptic said:

After a couple of months of lockdown, I'm finished with zoos. Can't imagine a wild animal. Locked up like that. 

For me, it depends on the zoo. Some do great work in conservation, science, veterinary medicine, and education. Others...not so much. Also, some animals seem fine with comfortable captivity, others...Again, not so much.

Edited by Seti42
  • Thanks 2

OpenMindedSceptic
5 hours ago, Seti42 said:

For me, it depends on the zoo. Some do great work in conservation, science, veterinary medicine, and education. Others...not so much. Also, some animals seem fine with comfortable captivity, others...Again, not so much.

An alligator? I can't see it being happy.