Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Which country will be first to contact ET ?

Probably no country.

I think the question should have been "which was" not "which will be". 

And I think I have an answer for the first:  :whistle: walk like an Egyptian...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Jon the frog said:

Receiving is a good thing, contacting is searching for trouble...

What would we have to fear from a species that can farm the vastness of space for resources?

• Thanks 6

Any point in space will be visible to a number of radio telescopes, throughout the world, as the Earth spins. It's difficult to see how one nation could keep the signal to themselves, as the article suggests. China's new FAST radio telescope has some advantages of its own, but its ability to receive weak signals isn't really so different from that of Arecibo.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

What would we have to fear from a species that can farm the vastness of space for resources?

Maybe they will see us like ants that want to invade their picnic ? You know the end of this story...

Edited by Jon the frog
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, UM-Bot said:

Which country will be first to contact ET ?

Um.....

East Timor?

• Haha 2

It seems to me that we're quite a ways from being able to invade anyone's picnic!

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Jon the frog said:

Maybe they will see us like ants that want to invade their picnic ? You know the end of this story...

Don't really see how, considering how vast the galaxy is and how stuck we are on our planet. Plus again, the resources of the whole of space. There'd be little reason for competition until we reach a situation as portrayed in Star Trek or Star Wars (multiple, polities scrunched together in close proximity/galaxy spanning governments) which is very unlikely.

Edited by Orphalesion
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

Don't really see how, considering how vast the galaxy is and how stuck we are on our planet. Plus again, the resources of the whole of space. There'd be little reason for competition until we reach a situation as portrayed in Star Trek or Star Wars (multiple, polities scrunched together in close proximity/galaxy spanning governments) which is very unlikely.

Yep unlikely... a lot of stuff that happen are ''unlikely''. You want that we risk all to phone ET if we found him and see what it will do ?

• Haha 1

The general conditions in our galaxy have been suitable for the development of intelligent life for a couple of billion years, at least. Even at sub-light travel velocities, that's far more than enough time for civilizations to expand throughout the galaxy. We could be in a galactic reserve, inside a civilized and densely populated galaxy, without even knowing it. Does a bear in the woods know he's living in the United States? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Jon the frog said:

You want that we risk all to phone ET if we found him and see what it will do ?

Yes. Because I thinks it's preferable to cowering down on our planet for fear of what they might do.

Plus in the most likeliest case they are as little capable of getting to us, as we are able to get to them.

Edited by Orphalesion
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/25/2020 at 8:26 AM, bison said:

Any point in space will be visible to a number of radio telescopes, throughout the world, as the Earth spins. It's difficult to see how one nation could keep the signal to themselves, as the article suggests. China's new FAST radio telescope has some advantages of its own, but its ability to receive weak signals isn't really so different from that of Arecibo.

You can have the telescope, but you have to be looking as well.

• Haha 1

On 5/25/2020 at 8:53 AM, bison said:

Does a bear in the woods know he's living in the United States? 

Smokey does, but then he was a contactee.

• Haha 2

On 5/25/2020 at 12:00 PM, Orphalesion said:

Yes. Because I thinks it's preferable to cowering down on our planet for fear of what they might do.

Plus in the most likeliest case they are as little capable of getting to us, as we are able to get to them.

On 5/25/2020 at 11:14 AM, Orphalesion said:

Yep, if there is a race basically the same as us but oh say a few billion light years away, even a conversation within the lifetime of ours and their communications tech isnt gonna happen so a visit, forget about it,

And if a race is all sci fi movie advanced, why do they have to be like predators or mars attacks or independence day, they very well could be like ET or god forbid jarjar binks.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, the13bats said:

even a conversation within the lifetime of ours and their communications tech isnt gonna happen so a visit, forget about it,

I don't think you can make that call with any certainty.I don't think anyone on Earth can.:no:

• Sad 1

On 5/25/2020 at 5:53 PM, bison said:

The general conditions in our galaxy have been suitable for the development of intelligent life for a couple of billion years, at least. Even at sub-light travel velocities, that's far more than enough time for civilizations to expand throughout the galaxy. We could be in a galactic reserve, inside a civilized and densely populated galaxy, without even knowing it. Does a bear in the woods know he's living in the United States? 

Well bears and other wild animals are generally aware of humanity as a thing/source of food(trash)/source of danger as well as the noise and light pollution we create, so a bear in the woods might not be aware of living in the US, but he's most likely at least somewhat familiar with the naked apes prancing about. 

So if the galaxy was as full with intelligent life as in Star Trek/Wars/Gate, we'd likely notice *something*

Edited by Orphalesion
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

You can have the telescope, but you have to be looking as well.

And that someone looking through that fancy telescope must be "capable of seeing" as well.B)

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, the13bats said:

Yep, if there is a race basically the same as us but oh say a few billion light years away, even a conversation within the lifetime of ours and their communications tech isnt gonna happen so a visit, forget about it,

And if a race is all sci fi movie advanced, why do they have to be like predators or mars attacks or independence day, they very well could be like ET or god forbid jarjar binks.

I love ET :wub: I hope there's a parallel universe where there's both ET and Elliot.

Honestly I am so bored of people who claim to have seen greys OR reptilians OR  the Nordics all the time.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Orphalesion said:

Well bears and other wild animals are generally aware of humanity as a thing/source of food(trash)/source of danger as well as the noise and light pollution we create, so a bear in the woods might not be aware of living in the US, but he's most likely at least somewhat familiar with the naked apes prancing about. 

So if the galaxy was as full with intelligent life as in Star Trek/Wars/Gate, we'd likely notice *something*

I think we did and do notice but even today with the current level of CGI in the movies, noone would believe a proof like a audio or video recording.

If I was an alien, I wouldn't hide at all because still noone believes in aliens. Besides they can't prove that I exist if I have the technology to blend in.

And when someone would say "Oh I captured this footage", I would go, "I don't buy it anymore, check my Black Pyramid on the sun scam"

Oh it suddenyl felt sogood to be an alien among you humans :D As a matter of fact we all are aliens for another alien. I wish we were intelligent too.:w00t:

• Like 1

On 5/25/2020 at 3:13 PM, jethrofloyd said:

EThiopia? ;)

Not far from truth, they launched their satellite some time ago hehe