Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Boy praised for calmness when stalked by bear

Still Waters

A 12-year-old boy had an extremely close encounter with a large bear while hiking with his family in Italy recently, in a moment that was captured on camera.

The young boy, Alessandro, was walking with his family in Malga Nuova, in the Trentino region, when the bear started stalking him yesterday afternoon, May 24.

Alessandro – who can be seen standing just metres away from the animal in a now-viral video – has since been praised for his actions, which ultimately resulted in the bear wandering away without harming him.

https://www.unilad.co.uk/animals/italian-boy-12-does-exactly-what-you-should-do-when-being-stalked-by-bear/

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Yes the boy did exactly the right thing.   If he had run the bear would have seen him as prey and run after him.   

• Like 4

The boy was even telling his mum to keep calm, the bear was never going to attack him... it saw he was dressed as Spiderman and knew it didn't have a chance.

Well done kid, you are one brave cookie. I would have done and and filmed you from the safety of the car. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

If the boy would've been by himself I believe the story would've ended differently. Good on him though for staying calm.

• Like 1

The bear was just curious. Had it wanted to go after the boy, it wouldn't matter who was there. Had it been a mother with cubs nearby, the boy would have been attacked, no doubt. However, being aggressive is a far more effective tactic in this case. A mother wouldn't have wasted time. She'd have been on him in a second. Not standing up and down craning it's neck. So, raise hands over head and yell at the bear. The boy wasn't running, but he was moving almost fast enough to trigger an attack. This is why I say, the bear had no intention of going after him.

I've had run in's with bears, most often trying to get into my shed. I had no trash pick up, so I'd store garbage inside the shed and take it to the dump once every two weeks. Tried to mask the smell and the shed was locked, but the bears would come down and actually bend the corrugated metal trying to get in. I would hear them and come running out the door yelling at them. They'd take off running just far enough into the night so I couldn't see them. Then they'd wait until everything was quiet and come back. One night I had to run them off three times. Had a mother with two cubs passing from one mountain to another thru our valley. Kids started to harass them, so I had to go and get them away. She would have killed at least one of them had they not left. She was only about 250 lbs (black bear). Probably a first time mother. Had she been older, she probably would have attacked one of the kids right away. Black bears are very dangerous and unpredictable.

• Like 1