Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Twitter labels Trump tweet misleading

spartan max2

I'm sure the tweet was misleading, but I really don't like these big tech companies having so much power in modern society. 

Will these rules be administered consistently I wonder :innocent:.

Washington(CNN Business)For the first time, Twitter has labeled a tweet from President Donald Trump as misleading.

On Tuesday, the social media company highlighted two of Trump's tweets that falsely claimed mail-in ballots would lead to widespread voter fraud.

"Get the facts about mail-in ballots," read a message beneath each tweet. It linked to a fact-check page the platform had created filled with further links and summaries of news articles debunking the assertion.

https://amp-cnn-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/05/26/tech/twitter-trump-fact-check/index.html?amp_js_v=a3&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA%3D#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2F2020%2F05%2F26%2Ftech%2Ftwitter-trump-fact-check%2Findex.html

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

This is actually a good thing. Trump is being treated like a disinformant, because he spreads disinformation. He's not above being subject to scrutiny online. Only in the government.

Just shows that big tech companies have more power then a democratically elected president. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

5 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

Actually not. He uses their platform. They only have power in that single narrow place.

It's not their fault that he, as the only world leader ever, chose to communicate there. Is it?

Social media and the internet has taken on the same function in society that T.V did when it came around. Times change.

Every politican communicates with Twitter now. It was inevitable, Trump was just ahead of the curve with that.

Edit: and when I said big tech I mean Google, Facebook, Twitter, these industries have significant power and influence in modern times. 

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Social media and the internet has taken on the same function in society that T.V did when it came around. Times change.

Every politican communicates with Twitter now. It's was inevitable, Trump was just ahead of the curve with that.

I think you're a little ahead of reality. It is still the most appropriate and normal way, for a politician to communicate, via interviews and press conferences.

Trump is the exception.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

6 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Every politican communicates with Twitter now. It was inevitable, Trump was just ahead of the curve with that.

Edit: and when I said big tech I mean Google, Facebook, Twitter, these industries have significant power and influence in modern times. 

Don't they all have terms and conditions?  You have to choose to agree to them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

4 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

I think you're a little ahead of reality. It is still the most appropriate and normal way, for a politician to communicate, via interviews and press conferences.

Trump is the exception.

AOC, Sanders, and Biden don't all use their Twitter politically?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

Don't they all have terms and conditions?  You have to choose to agree to them.

Yep,

But social media has grown into a pillar of society. Just like how T.V did.

Something like the FCC will probably be created eventually. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Yep,

But social media has grown into a pillar of society. Just like how T.V did.

Something like the FCC will probably be created eventually. 

Yep and a fact-check link was associated with Trump's tweet.  That happens lust like on TV.

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

I hope they have the power to continue to control commentary that is unclear and in some cases misleading like his comments were. Our President has been using Tweeter far too long to confuse subjects or to attack people, it's like he has a bad dream and wakes up into the middle of the night, and strikes out at others do too nothing but his perception of his own dream. Now I also hope that these rules are administered fairly and consistently only time will tell us for certain. But, even with that said many of the Presidents ardent supporters will still attack this by using their favorite saying " Tweeter is just a Trumping hating organization, hell I suspect the President himself will very soon try to rally his base by also making similar comments himself " :yes::( Now that is very Sad!!!!!!:whistle:

Peace Max, this a good thread thanks for starting it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

Yep and a fact-check link was associated with Trump's tweet.  That happens lust like on TV.

The FCC dosen't have squares in the corner labeling a station as "misleading".

Obivously right now Twitter isnt blatantly censoring anything. But I'm sure people would be defending Twitter if they outright banned Trump or removed his post as well.

The FCC is barred by law from trying to prevent the broadcast of any point of view. The Communications Act prohibits the FCC from censoring broadcast material, in most cases, and from making any regulation that would interfere with freedom of speech. Expressions of views that do not involve a "clear and present danger of serious, substantive evil" come under the protection of the Constitution, which guarantees freedom of speech and freedom of the press and prevents suppression of these expressions by the FCC. 

https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/fcc-and-freedom-speech

4 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

Peace Max, this a good thread thanks for starting it

Thanks, social media, misinformation, and free speech related things have been a hot button philosophical debate in the last few years and will probably continue to be.

I figured UM would get into it lol.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

The FCC dosen't have squares in the corner labeling a station as "misleading".

Obivously right now Twitter isnt blatantly censoring anything. But I'm sure people would be defending Twitter if they outright banned Trump or removed his post as well.

https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/fcc-and-freedom-speech

What does the FCC have to do with it?  This is Twitter - it's their content on the platform, right?

I'm sure you have similar programs to Media Watch, don't you?  The media keeping calling itself out is a form of self regulation.

Any action by a regulatory authority is usually the result of a, formal, complaint.

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, 19_Kilo said:

You bet they will.

Well, at least they will when a conservative Republican is the tweeter.

Twitter is embarking on a slippery slope here. It can be argued that tagging a tweet they don't like with a link that refutes the tweet's claim is indeed a form of censorship. And that's never a good thing for an organization which wants to be seen as an objective, all-inclusive, platform of social media and free information exchange.

If this keeps up, look for another, new, Twitter-like app to appear which overtly leans right and then denigrates lefty messages.

Soon, that industry will become as polarized as some of our TV media outlets, i.e. Fox vs MSNBC.

No it is not a form of censorship, it does however, create an equal playing field and it gives the readers the ability to fact check the comments made, which few ever do, otherwise. I think that if this done equally with other Politicians  whos words hold weight like the Presidents do, it is fair an a very good development and it should it also be adopted by other major media outlets, like Google, Facebook and YouTube. There is far to much inaccurate information that is being broadcast and the public is certainly confused, which is dangerous especially when it come to medical facts concerning the Pandemic.

Peace Kilo 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Golden Duck said:

What does the FCC have to do with it?  This is Twitter - it's their content on the platform, right?

I'm sure you have similar programs to Media Watch, don't you?  The media keeping calling itself out is a form of self regulation.

Any action by a regulatory authority is usually the result of a, formal, complaint.

I was continuing with my progression of my point that in the future social media may need some regulating body like the FCC does for TV. 

There is fact check stuff you can go to of course. But it's different then Twitter labeling a post misleading.

The Twitter thing would be like if you turned MSNBC or CNN on and on the top bar of the screen it says "the FCC has labeled this broadcast misleading". 

It's not censoring anything yet but it has an effect.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

I was continuing with my progression of my point that in the future social media may need some regulating body like the FCC does for TV. 

There is fact check stuff you can go to of course. But it's different then Twitter labeling a post misleading.

The Twitter thing would be like if you turned MSNBC or CNN on and on the top bar of the screen it says "the FCC has labeled this broadcast misleading". 

The FCC doesn't provide the media platform.  It's not their content.  Your analogy is not apt.

Think more along the lines of letters to the editor, or callers to a radio/TV station.  After letter is publish or the callers hangs-up media entity is free to have the last word, and usually do.

Trump is really just another Twitter user.  Because of who he is he has more followers.

• Like 3

Cool, i think i can actually contribute, ( lord help us )

In 2016 i heard of twitter but thought it was where teen girls went to post stuff about some guy they liked,

Then much to my chagrin it becomes the pulpit of choice for our then new potus "President tweety" he earned that moniker,

Over 3 years later and im still trying to grasp im not in the twilight zone this is the commander and chiefs go to for spewing anything and everything that pops in his head.

I also quickly learned that if anyone said something that made tweety look bad, you know pointed out one of his seemingly never ending blunders his retort was childlike insults and a new term "fake news" and this fun little gem "lame stream media" clever, very clever. So we know that don is a firm believer in facts,

Now his favorite ave of expression is going to start usinga "fact checker" when i first heard about this knowing how tRump feels about false fake news i assumed he b****ed for it.

I do not know enough about the rules and laws of free speech to know where/if it would be censorship to correct misinformation,  i for one welcome the fact checker as far too many of the blind trump worshipping lemmings believe his every ridiculous statement at face value and im not saying that facts will clue in a trumper i cant hope for that much

But at least next time he blunders like wondering if putting disinfectant into ones body will cure covid19. There will be a healthy little warning, "please do not ingest household cleaners" it might just save a trumpettes life.

Edited by the13bats
ta ta typo
  • Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

@19_Kilo @spartan max2 It didn't really label his comments as much as it provided readers with the ability to make a decision on what they choose top believe. Lets face it with President Trump there must be a way to give people the choice to make decisions. There is much that Twitter hasn't done to correct terrible situations the President has tweeted and used as a personal vendetta to attack people with absolutely no real proof that is comments are warranted. Here are the comments in question:  

Trump has spread the pernicious lie about the death of Lori Klausutis as a means of attacking a television host, Joe Scarborough of MSNBC. With his wife, Mika Brzezinski, Scarborough frequently criticizes Trump on the Morning Joe program. The president has also attacked Brzezinski in brutally personal terms. Some far-left websites spread a smear at the time that Klausutis died from foul play and that Scarborough, who was 1,000 miles away in Washington at the time, was somehow involved. Those smears have been regularly debunked, including recently by the Washington Post Fact Checker, which gave the claim “Four Pinocchios”, a rating saved for the most egregious lies.

My question to everyone is do you think this right?

So for all of you who feel that Twitter is being unfair and shouldn't question the Presidents Tweets, you really have no ground to stand upon. Because Twitter  hasn't removed the above outrageous lie, even thought the grieving husband has been completely proven innocent in any wrong doing. 

People can keep their heads firmly buried in the sand, however sooner or late they must come up for air and face the facts they so readily denie. 

Peace

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

My question to everyone is do you think this right?

Can you clarify what you're asking ?

9 minutes ago, 19_Kilo said:

Uh...if that's a question I missed it. Looks more like your personal political opinion and an indictment on those who disagree. 

I took it like an ed op piece but open for discussion

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 19_Kilo said:

Uh...if that's a question I missed it. Looks more like your personal political opinion and an indictment on those who disagree. 

So you actually think the Presidents comments are warranted or is it that you are unware of the situation?

I really get tired of saying this, I am not like you Politics are not driving my comments. I have been an ardent Republican  my entire life and I have never voted any other way. I have been well aware of Donald Trump for more than 30 years, and I have never liked his actions or his polices, in fact I haven't ever had any respect for him. In the last election, I didn't vote for the first time in 60 years, because I refuse to vote for the better of two evils and both candidates were chit bags in my opinion. Please keep this in mind in the future before you unfairly use the words personal political opinion when you are referring to my comments. I have made myself clear and I don't think it is two much to ask of you, because I am not like you in that respect, politics don't rule my comments.

Peace Kilo

• Like 3

2 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

Just shows that big tech companies have more power then a democratically elected president. 

Twitter isn’t questioning Trumps presidency or his capacity to leed. He’s being called out for posting something that’s wrong. He’ll I’d go one step further and call fake news.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

Twitter isn’t questioning Trumps presidency or his capacity to leed. He’s being called out for posting something that’s wrong. He’ll I’d go one step further and call fake news.

257c6b63c49e3f0b8d4f0bd1a7905577.jpg.ea843da3f68b16b097e4eea172c0ec20.jpg

2CF9AE6300000578-0-image-a-10_1443713826605.jpg.9997448d43f801ffc0e8bb257c596a68.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2