Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Twitter labels Trump tweet misleading

spartan max2

15 minutes ago, Big Jim said:

Yea, I know, "he's the President".  But he's either just another user or he's not.

Hes not "just" not while he is potus, we have to hope the highest officer in the land aspires to the highest standard or truth and honesty and facts, in their "tweets" but when he doesnt ( which is often ) there isnt a hell of a lot we can do about it, 

And very sadly i would trust the credibility of gagas or perrys tweets way before prez tweetys afterall their track record is better than his,

So now twitter has decided to fact check, if don wasnt notorious for spewing wrong, misinformation twitter wouldnt be doing this, i do not blame worshippers at the alter of tRump to be concerned that the same vigor wont be dished out on joey, i wonder whats the most tweets joey has sent?

Anyway never fear because trump said as president he will not allow twitter to do this to him, it must be grand to be in a position where if someone calls out your epic incompetence and bs that you can just fall back on "i wont allow this"

Perhaps twitter will fact check that threat and tell don,

20190403_134408.jpg.094d7efe4398da660229ea3e81ec62ad.jpg

2 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

But... I mean, who can trust Congress?

The people that bought and paid for them.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Big Jim said:

According to Twitter's own policy in the link you provided, the new rules apply only to misleading information about COVID-19.  Yet the topic of this thread is about it being applied to Trump's opinion about mail-in voting.  So they've already abused their own policy.  I guess it's just coincidence that their target for this aberation was President Trump.

Perhaps twitter didnt update that just yet, with a pitus who tweets dozens a day it takes time to fact check all that dribble. as i recall there was a blunder with pence and masks where they tried to hurry up and change what was posted online to try to keep pence from looking ridiculous, it didnt work.

And another time jaded krusher politics answer to slenderman made some foot in mouth huge jackass blunder about covid supplies belonged to them not U.S. citizens, and they got way busy rewritting posted rules so he didnt look honorific, and again didnt work,

So lets give twitter that same chance to go edit their rules to keep trump from looking worse, oops, too late.

9 minutes ago, 19_Kilo said:

Mark this: within one year Twitter will delete or ban users they deem unduly contrary to their corporate ethos

And its their right to do so, just like i can refuse to allow a person into one of my shows or cletus can refuse to sell bubba any yellowtail wigglers from his bait, tackle, lotto and liquor store.

5 minutes ago, 19_Kilo said:

Exactly. And what I've been trying to explain here, but have not done clearly, I guess,  given the replies I received from those who took umbrage and accused me of being political. I was trying to paint the Big Picture on potential future consequences of Twitter intervening in tweets. Thanks for stating that hypothetical dynamic. As a combat vet, I'm totally in favor or free speech and am in turn forever wary of censorship in any form. And make no mistake, tagging tweets with opposing links can easily be the first step in deleting them altogether.

Mark this: within one year Twitter will delete or ban users they deem unduly contrary to their corporate ethos.

Good job!

My concern is the same as yours, that censorship grows over time.  I believe this is why Free Speech is in amendment #1 in the Bill of Rights.  It is the key to all other freedoms and rights.  I can see Twitter instituting a point system leading up to termination, to make it seem fair.  After so many fact checks your account is cancelled.  But they control who gets fact checked and who doesn't.  They decide what is a forgivable error and what is deliberate misinformation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, acidhead said:

LOL 

If mail in ballots are so great why haven't the USA and every single country on earth been doing it before the China virus?

I mean, what could go wrong? 

It's perfect

Umm..... we DO do mail in ballots here in Oz. 
Done it myself a couple of times. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Big Jim said:

According to Twitter's own policy in the link you provided, the new rules apply only to misleading information about COVID-19.  Yet the topic of this thread is about it being applied to Trump's opinion about mail-in voting.  So they've already abused their own policy.  I guess it's just coincidence that their target for this aberation was President Trump.

In a statement to TechCrunch, a Twitter spokesperson said the pair of tweets from the president “contain potentially misleading information about voting processes and have been labeled to provide additional context around mail-in ballots.”

“This decision is in line with the approach we shared earlier this month,” the spokesperson said, linking to the company’s recent blog post on its misinformation policies.

https://techcrunch.com/2020/05/26/twitter-trump-labels-fact-checking-tweet/

I'm guessing the spokesperson is referring to the bolded part in the following:

In March, we broadened our policy guidance to address content that goes directly against guidance on COVID-19 from authoritative sources of global and local public health information. Moving forward, we may use these labels and warning messages to provide additional explanations or clarifications in situations where the risks of harm associated with a Tweet are less severe but where people may still be confused or misled by the content. This will make it easier to find facts and make informed decisions about what people see on Twitter. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Big Jim said:

My concern is the same as yours, that censorship grows over time.  I believe this is why Free Speech is in amendment #1 in the Bill of Rights.  It is the key to all other freedoms and rights.  I can see Twitter instituting a point system leading up to termination, to make it seem fair.  After so many fact checks your account is cancelled.  But they control who gets fact checked and who doesn't.  They decide what is a forgivable error and what is deliberate misinformation.

Nothing was deleted or censored.  Isn't the tag itself a form of free speech?

• Like 2

https://techcrunch.com/2020/05/26/twitter-trump-labels-fact-checking-tweet/

I'm guessing the spokesperson is referring to the bolded part in the following:

Moving forward, we may use these labels and warning messages to provide additional explanations or clarifications in situations where the risks of harm associated with a Tweet are less severe but where people may still be confused or misled by the content. This will make it easier to find facts and make informed decisions about what people see on Twitter. 

Thanks, but it still seems like they're referring only to tweets about COVID-19.  Applying this policy to tweets about voting is quite a stretch.  Since we've never conducted a national election by mail there are no facts to check, only opinions to counter.  To me, that's where this gets disconcerting, when opinions are declared to be wrong.  

3 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

Nothing was deleted or censored.  Isn't the tag itself a form of free speech?

Right.  In the post you quoted we were speculating that it could lead to censorship in the future.

Im i the only one who sees the epic joke here, no one has a right to p*** and moan about any twitter rule, if you dont like it dont use twitter,  they are a business and can run their business any way they want to, they dont have to support anyones take on free speech,

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Big Jim said:

Thanks, but it still seems like they're referring only to tweets about COVID-19.  Applying this policy to tweets about voting is quite a stretch.  Since we've never conducted a national election by mail there are no facts to check, only opinions to counter.  To me, that's where this gets disconcerting, when opinions are declared to be wrong.  

But there are reports from the USGAO and Senate Intelligence Committee.

In 2016, 41.3 percent of all ballots were cast before Election Day. Of the total turnout, 17.2 percent of ballots were cast using in-person early voting and 23.7 percent were cast using bymail absentee voting.[9]

https://www.eac.gov/sites/default/files/eac_assets/1/6/2016_EAVS_Comprehensive_Report.pdf

Is 23.7 per cent a large enough example to expect to see some of the behaviours described in the tweet?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

But there are reports from the USGAO and Senate Intelligence Committee.

https://www.eac.gov/sites/default/files/eac_assets/1/6/2016_EAVS_Comprehensive_Report.pdf

Is 23.7 per cent a large enough example to expect to see some of the behaviours described in the tweet?

Has that mail-in vote been examined for potential fraud?

A lot of this comes down to interpretation.  I see the tweet in question as the President expressing his opinion about mail in voting.  Opinions are not facts and I said somewhere else in this thread that free speech includes the right to be wrong.  He may be wrong about mail-in voting, but in re-reading the tweet, I believe he is wrong about his Free Speech being impaired.  The First Amendment only protects people from being censored by the government.  "Congress shall make no law....".  It's a common mistake to think that this means we can't stifle each other.  Yell out your window at 3:00 a.m. and your neighbors will be within their rights to silence you.  Our employers routinely have rules about what we can't say and what we must say.  So Twitter could pull the plug on Trump without it becoming a "Free Speech" issue as defined in the Constitution.

16 minutes ago, Big Jim said:

A lot of this comes down to interpretation.  I see the tweet in question as the President expressing his opinion about mail in voting.  Opinions are not facts and I said somewhere else in this thread that free speech includes the right to be wrong.  He may be wrong about mail-in voting, but in re-reading the tweet, I believe he is wrong about his Free Speech being impaired.  The First Amendment only protects people from being censored by the government.  "Congress shall make no law....".  It's a common mistake to think that this means we can't stifle each other.  Yell out your window at 3:00 a.m. and your neighbors will be within their rights to silence you.  Our employers routinely have rules about what we can't say and what we must say.  So Twitter could pull the plug on Trump without it becoming a "Free Speech" issue as defined in the Constitution.

You do realize that the town square has moved into twitter and facebook. Thus when these social media corporations have control over what is truth and who can speak, thus people are silenced cause it goes against their policy or ideology, that harms this nation as a whole. Yes it isn't against the constitution since they are not the government, but they are truly acting like one and trying to shape our nation by silencing one side while amplifying the voice of the other side which includes politicians. They prefer Democrats over Republicans, thus hindering and hampering elections on all levels of the government. There is also that little known fact that they are behold to outside interests of foreign nations.

Edited by Uncle Sam
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Big Jim said:

Isn't your first question motivation to go and check some facts?  Wikipedia has a link to the Senate Intelligence Committee report that finds vote-by-mail safer that electronic.

The link/flag from Twitter seems unnecessary anyway.  Just about every reply to Trump's tweet disagrees with him.

The big question is why as POTUS can't he do more solve the concerns he raises?  Why can't he implement ways to make voting more accessible?

About time

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

Twitter isn’t questioning Trumps presidency or his capacity to leed. He’s being called out for posting something that’s wrong. He’ll I’d go one step further and call fake news.

What he said is probably right... and mail - in voting will be a way to try and rig the next election...

It is a system open to abuse... 

Maybe that's one of the dirty tricks connected to the Coronavirus Thing...  and why Democrats especially are trying to keep the Lockdown going for as long as possible... so people will be forced to use Mail In voting (called Postal Voting over here in the UK)...

• Haha 3
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, 19_Kilo said:

If you read my OP you'll see that I was trying to dismiss the political ramifications of the Twitter tags on Trump's tweets, and opine that their doing so begins a potential slippery slope, in that they may or may not continue to offer tags on all tweets from both sides of the aisle that they feel to be spurious. 

If they do indeed tag liberal tweets in the future, say from a Pelosi or a Sanders, then fine. But if they continue to cherry pick righty tweets that conflict with their own corporate ethos, well then they have summarily removed themselves from having any rightful claim to being an objective and unbiased communication platform.

IOW: time will tell where Twitter's true agenda lays.

Don't we already know.... it is there to control the narrative and remove those who are considered 'undesirable' from the Digital Public Square.. 

they are closing the net around and getting rid of anyone influential who is 'off message' ... not adhering to the Authoritarian Political Globalism message...

Edited by bee
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

I don't think it's morally good for Trump to make false comments, no. Trump says some pretty outrageous things, I get it.

But I'm pretty strict with freedom of speech. I trust people to make decisions and find the facts themselves. I think most times we start limiting what people can say it leads to bad things. 

I'm never really like the idea of giving tech corporations the power to be the arbiters of truth.

I'm aware that this probably sounds melodramatic to most people because as of right now it's only a label, not full on censorship or anything. And maybe Twitter will enforce the rules fairly and it not only be right wing targets. I guess time will tell. I just do not like going down that road.

It's a knotty problem for sure...

Big Tech in collusion with Big Media are behaving like Government without any checks or balances....

And they want controlled speech, ideas + opinion not free speech..

If the Internet was controlled by the actual government that could bring with it the same kind of problems ...

Maybe something (laws) to curb the monopoly that the Big Tech Giants like Facebook, Twitter and Google  have is the way to go..

???

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

ROFL... this is brilliant. 

Firstly, there is no issue of free speech. President Trump's tweets where not censored in any way, merely flagged as potentially inaccurate. Providing Joe Biden's tweets are similarly graded, then I really can't see a democratic problem with this. 

As for the mail-out ballots themselves; we call them Postal Votes here in Great Britain. They've been happening for slightly over 100 years. 

The only large-scale problems have arisen in some muslim communities, where the head of the household votes on behalf of the entire family. (illegally). But I think that tendency is dying out in more recent generations.

I actually find this amusing; President Trump relies on his twitter feed to get his controversial messages out without criticism. Well, that's been stopped :D 

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

45 minutes ago, bee said:

Big Tech in collusion with Big Media are behaving like Government without any checks or balances....

If the Internet was controlled by the actual government that could bring with it the same kind of problems ...

Maybe something (laws) to curb the monopoly that the Big Tech Giants like Facebook, Twitter and Google  have is the way to go..

???

You see here in America we have freedom of speech, so that isn't possible unless you are advocating the destruction of our constitution. 

Peace

• Like 2

Trumps getting scared now. He knows the end is near, and his tweets are showing it. Expect him to get more erratic, more, toxic,  and much, much more lies between now and November. His govt will fall apart with no one at the helm. The irony is, his biggest real enemy is himself.

EY-B7uqXgAAkzj8_compress71.jpg

Edited by Hankenhunter
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, bee said:

???

Warren keep advocating for new antitrust laws around big tech during the primaries. I generally agreed with her on it.

Social media and search engines like Google have become pillars of society.  The rise of T.V is not a direct comparison but it's the most similar comparison we have to how this new technology.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

Max I totally agree with your comments, and I also respect your opinion. Because you are the only Trump supporter who will openly admit when something he says is wrong, and I personally applaud your for it. I can only hope that others on both sides of this issue will follow suit. If they did much of the drama would be avoided, and reasonable conversations could be discussed with out all the other nonsense. 

Peace Max 

I'm not exactly a Trump support.  Just a center of the road moderate. 

Atleast that's how I see myself though others may disagree lol 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

I'm not exactly a Trump support.  Just a center of the road moderate. 

Atleast that's how I see myself though others may disagree lol 

I am sorry I made that comment, I would never intentionally put anyone in that position.:yes:

Peace max

• Thanks 1