Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Palestinian Authority Cancels all agreements

RoofGardener

I don't know what to make of this ? 

Mahmoud Abbas has stated that the Palestinian Authority is cancelling all agreements with Israel. And with America, for that matter. This includes the Oslo accords. 

I don't know what to make of this ? The P.A. and Israel have a large number of agreements; everything from security, to supply of electricity and water, and revenue collection of duty on goods imported into the Palestine Authority areas. Israel hands over MILLIONS each month to the P.A. If all agreements are null, then this will presumably stop ? 

Similarly, Israel issues work permits to tens - possibly hundreds - of thousands of Arab Palestinians to work in Israel. If that stops... well... Israel can always bring in workers from Thailand and India, but where will the Palestinians get jobs from ? 

It seems like the PA are bent on self destruction ?

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/world/the-times/palestinians-end-security-deal-with-israel-as-netanyahu-pushes-for-annexation/news-story/92ef39f37e6e6e08c69d8096bcfb2e69

Edited by RoofGardener
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Let it burn. Let it all burn. :lol:

and when everyone in the Middle East kills each other off. Let them build a Super size Disney World on top of the rubble. :yes:

• Haha 3

The article is pay walled for me.

But yeah this seems a recipe for disaster.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It’s all so they can cry to the UN about how cruel Israel is for not just giving them money, and the UN to tell Israel how naughty it Is for not just giving Palestine Money.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

I think Abbas realizes he doesn't have the support from his brotherly Arab neighbors that he has always relied on in the past and he is lashing out at Israel and the U.S. over the "peace initiative" that he refused to negotiate.  By making this move he assumes the international community will come down on Israel if the Palestinians lack any of their needs since they are "occupied".  I find that kind of amusing since Israel feeds them and supplies water and power most of the time without being reimbursed.

Same old, same old.  The difference Abbas should consider is that his life is protected by Israel from his brothers in the area.  The Hamas will gut him like a trout the first opportunity that arises.

20 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

Well, Abbas is, anyway.  He can't survive without Israel's protection.  OTOH, if Netanyahu proceeds with an official annexation of Judea and Samaria in July, all hell is apt to break loose anyway.  Erdog is yapping about how he won't "allow it" to happen.  His military struggled with the Kurds.  I don't think he really wants any part of the IDF on his ass.

There's a bit more here..... 

https://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/originals/2020/05/palestinian-abbas-end-agreements-israel-us-annexation-plans.html

If the OSLO accords have been rescinded, then - strictly speaking - the Palestinian Authority doesn't exist any more ????? 

• Like 1

On 5/27/2020 at 8:17 AM, RoofGardener said:

I don't know what to make of this ? 

Mahmoud Abbas has stated that the Palestinian Authority is cancelling all agreements with Israel. And with America, for that matter. This includes the Oslo accords. 

I don't know what to make of this ? The P.A. and Israel have a large number of agreements; everything from security, to supply of electricity and water, and revenue collection of duty on goods imported into the Palestine Authority areas. Israel hands over MILLIONS each month to the P.A. If all agreements are null, then this will presumably stop ? 

Similarly, Israel issues work permits to tens - possibly hundreds - of thousands of Arab Palestinians to work in Israel. If that stops... well... Israel can always bring in workers from Thailand and India, but where will the Palestinians get jobs from ? 

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/world/the-times/palestinians-end-security-deal-with-israel-as-netanyahu-pushes-for-annexation/news-story/92ef39f37e6e6e08c69d8096bcfb2e69

Nobody out there follow the rules issued fully... don't know if it will change something ?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

There's a bit more here..... 

https://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/originals/2020/05/palestinian-abbas-end-agreements-israel-us-annexation-plans.html

If the OSLO accords have been rescinded, then - strictly speaking - the Palestinian Authority doesn't exist any more ????? 

I don't think that the US or Israel was viewing the Palestinian Authority has legit anyway... and where working all the time against it...don't know if it will change something ?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Jon the frog said:

I don't think that the US or Israel was viewing the Palestinian Authority has legit anyway... and where working all the time against it...don't know if it will change something ?

Oh I dunno @Jon the frog; I thought Israel and the US where highly supportive of the Oslo accords, even though the PLO where dishonest from the start. (they never amended their constitution to remove the bits about not recognising Israel as a nation, as required by the agreement ... http://www.israelnationalnews.com/Articles/Article.aspx/11719 ). Nevertheless, Israel (and America) creatively overlooked this, and went ahead in creating the Three Zones, and the other structures of the Palestinian Authority. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RoofGardener said:

Oh I dunno @Jon the frog; I thought Israel and the US where highly supportive of the Oslo accords, even though the PLO where dishonest from the start. (they never amended their constitution to remove the bits about not recognising Israel as a nation, as required by the agreement ... http://www.israelnationalnews.com/Articles/Article.aspx/11719 ). Nevertheless, Israel (and America) creatively overlooked this, and went ahead in creating the Three Zones, and the other structures of the Palestinian Authority. 

Well if a country that claim you soil for colonization, in collaboration with a country that finance it , push an accord that they don't respect any part down your throat and demand that you follow any directive they put on you without any consent from your population... do you think that you will be incline to follow it ? 

In the future I think it Israel and Palestine will become one state.

The younger generation of Israelis and Palestinians see the pointlessness of it all and are more likely to come together. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spartan max2 said:

In the future I think it Israel and Palestine will become one state.

The younger generation of Israelis and Palestinians see the pointlessness of it all and are more likely to come together. 

That would be a great solution for all where both would be equal. I know it is more si-fi but I like your thought. I do see that the younger generation on both sides is more willing for inclusion and peace. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, odas said:

That would be a great solution for all where both would be equal. I know it is more si-fi but I like your thought. I do see that the younger generation on both sides is more willing for inclusion and peace. 

It could just be wishful thinking on my part. But I thought a year or so ago I saw a survey on Palestinian and Israeli youth views suggesting it. I might see if I can find the poll again later. 

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

It could just be wishful thinking on my part. But I thought a year or so ago I saw a survey on Palestinian and Israeli youth views suggesting it. I might see if I can find the poll again later. 

There are quiet a few you tube videos where the young generation talks about a life together. Still, unfortunately, the bad videos prevail but I saw a pattern where the interviewing people look like hardcore from both sides. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jon the frog said:

Well if a country that claim you soil for colonization, in collaboration with a country that finance it , push an accord that they don't respect any part down your throat and demand that you follow any directive they put on you without any consent from your population... do you think that you will be incline to follow it ? 

Well, we will never know about "...any consent from your population", because the PLO never ASK their population. Their last national election was - I believe - 2006, and the last presidential election 2005 ? 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, odas said:

I do see that the younger generation on both sides is more willing for inclusion and peace. 

If there is ever any hope for change it will have to come from the youth but only after the leadership that profits off the misery of the Palestinians is changed or removed.  Those guys are exactly like the race baiters here in the U.S.  They profit from the conflict and grow rich off the dead.

4 hours ago, and then said:

If there is ever any hope for change it will have to come from the youth but only after the leadership that profits off the misery of the Palestinians is changed or removed.  Those guys are exactly like the race baiters here in the U.S.  They profit from the conflict and grow rich off the dead.

Please don't go there AT. 

21 hours ago, odas said:

Please don't go there AT. 

No problem.  I have no desire to make anyone angry, just gave an opinion. 

Abbas has announced the same thing like dozen times over years and has done it already - with no effect. Zero effect.

But situation now is very different than before because of Trump administration. They were giving concessions which they have no power over. Like Jerusalem, support for annexation of both Palestinian and Syrian territory and as an icing on the cake Kushner revealed the so called ''deal of the century'' by which Palestinians would effectively seal their fate to be oppressed people without power over any territory.

Politically it is only logical and realistic for PA to disengage from any old and future dealings with all those who are responsible for constant tries of destruction of Palestinian statehood. So now this decision is necessary to be made in order to keep your head up and confront aggression with pride rather than to cooperate with those who want to deny you most basic freedoms. Largest threat to Israeli evil goals is Palestinian unity and this might move the nation towards it.

BTW Israel never respected Oslo because of what it was but because it left room for legal manipulation and all sorts of claims and interpretations. Palestinians had no reason to look at Oslo accords as anything else than transitional period and deal which was meant to be next step towards Palestinian state - and nationhood was never promised to Palestinians in Oslo deal, was never part of it.

By pro Israeli interpretation of Oslo deal - ''deal of the century'' is it's last stage.

But reality doesn't work that way, you can not paint it as you'd like - it's actually more alike to one large cup of conflicting interests mixed up together and will never be ''purified'' to meet Zionist liking. Maybe the uprising is the only solution - this decision by Abbas does hint at such possibility of new Intifada but i do hope that sane minds will, somehow, prevail or large blood spill is about to happen - one in which Israel will find it hard to defend it's policies and nature.

On 6/3/2020 at 9:10 AM, Sir Smoke aLot said:

this decision by Abbas does hint at such possibility of new Intifada but i do hope that sane minds will, somehow, prevail or large blood spill is about to happen - one in which Israel will find it hard to defend it's policies and nature.

You assume that Israel will even ATTEMPT to "justify" their actions.  That's what happens when, no matter what those actions are, a country receives universal condemnation.  After awhile, that condemnation is just noise.  Just like the political situation in the U.S. over Trump.

This is bizzarre. 

If I understand this correctly, Israel was withholding SOME of the VAT they collect for the PLO, on the grounds that it was being used to pay for terrorist prisoners. (the Martyrs Fund... a sort of "pension", sometimes called "Pay for Slay"). 

Mahmound Abbas responded by refusing ALL the the money. He has cut of his nose to spite his face. The PLO is seriously going to run out of money at this rate. It is only Europe that gives them any now. America has frozen all direct payments, and also hugely scaled back its payments to UNRWA. Australia, Norway, Belgium, the Netherlands, Switzerland and Germany have likewise frozen payments to UNRWA.  

(their neighbouring Arab brethren aren't contributing much. They are big on promises, but short on delivery, as they despise the Palestinians)

8 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

They are big on promises, but short on delivery, as they despise the Palestinians)

Yeah, not a lot of "brotherly Arab love" for the Palis.  When a people use victimhood as a shield and spend decades with their hand out, respect is hard to come by.  Let them choke on their hate until they decide to let it go and begin to create a life for their children instead of plotting the death of Jewish kids.  

On 6/9/2020 at 8:17 AM, and then said:

You assume that Israel will even ATTEMPT to "justify" their actions.  That's what happens when, no matter what those actions are, a country receives universal condemnation.  After awhile, that condemnation is just noise.  Just like the political situation in the U.S. over Trump.

There is no universal condonation - its just natural response to atrocities. Let's be serious now - Israel has committed many atrocities in its relatively short history.

I have to agree about condemnation becoming nothing more than noise, over time. Nazi horrors, genocides, criminal enterprises and many dark periods from history are twisted to suit political agendas of today. Many wrongs get saved by being shrouded in controversy. Result is usually resembling what would happen if for example one whitewash operation to justify genocide - was successful. Everyone, Israel included, should be held responsible for what it did wrong and must also be praised for what it did good, if anything in this case. Being good to ones self doesn't qualify.

On 6/20/2020 at 12:33 PM, Sir Smoke aLot said:

There is no universal condonation - its just natural response to atrocities. Let's be serious now - Israel has committed many atrocities in its relatively short history.

That's a bit harsh isn't it ? I grant you there where a couple of incidents during the 1948 Arab-Israeli war, Al-Dawayima and Deir Yassin spring to mind. However, I don't really think they have committed "Atrocities" since the end of the wars ? Well.. unless you count Dana International