Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Looting in Minneapolis

acidhead

33 minutes ago, susieice said:

This was shown after the LA riots over the Rodney King verdict. Many of the looters actually returned what they stole. They lost not only their stores, but their homes. It was all burned down.

Their burned down their own homes? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

Yes. They burned down their neighborhoods. The fires just spread rampant. Many needed shelters and emergency housing. I hope Minneapolis realizes this. The people who do the rioting aren't supporting justice or that man's family in anyway. They are causing much more harm and drawing unnecessary battle lines that will hurt public opinion. People know there is no justifiable reason for George Floyd to be dead. The protesters are right but the rioters are not. They will cause much more damage to their community.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Here's a morning news report about the riots from Minneapolis.

This is a press conference from this morning with Minneapolis' Mayor. The report that airs after this is good also.

Edited by susieice

5 hours ago, aztek said:

the cop knew exactly what he was doing, same as a cop who held down eric gardner for 6 min in a position he could not breathe, this is murder 2 at very least. anyone with cpr training would know it, and cops do have such training, the rest of the cops saw him doing it, knew what he was doing it and did nothing, all 4 need to hang

Over the years this has been one area where we have tended to disagree.  I'm not quite as quick to condemn cops because I grew up with an uncle on the local force and he was one of the best guys I ever knew.  It's a dangerous, stressful job and I'm usually willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.  THIS barbarism cannot be excused.  If that cop didn't premeditate taking that guy's life, he might as well have done.  8 frickken minutes he compresses the guy's neck and listens to him BEG to be allowed to breathe.  That isn't an accident and it isn't poor training.  I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that the guy is a virulent racist without any other evidence but the facts are already enough to condemn the sadistic POS.  The ones who stood buy and listened to the man beg for his life yet did nothing to intercede are just as guilty.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, susieice said:

but there is film showing Floyd did not resist arrest.

This is just unbelievable.  These cops show up on a call out for a property crime, non violent, no weapons, no resistance and this guy winds up face down in the road with his neck under a cop's knee?  If those turn out to be facts then those cops might as well get ready for a long term of imprisonment, IF they can survive it.  In addition, I hope his surviving family members beggar Minneapolis in a lawsuit.  

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, susieice said:

It got a lot worse after I stopped watching last night. I just heard from my daughter-in-law. They live far enough away from where this is happening that they aren't in danger. She says she works about 10 blocks from here but has had no problems so far. She's an RN in a medical clinic. I still worry.

I hope she can stay clear for awhile.  I read a reference to some armed locals who were helping protect property and others who were armed as part of the riots.  Situations like this have the potential to get very bloody, very fast and if that happens it can spread to different cities like wildfire.  I understand, as best I'm able, not being black, how outrageous this act is seen to be but lashing out and stirring racial hatred against people who had no part in it will only make the situation much worse.  All of the anger and political discord that the media have been pushing creates a certain level of stress in the system and an event like this, if followed by looting and shooting of innocents, has the potential to turn into something very ugly.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, and then said:

I hope she can stay clear for awhile.  I read a reference to some armed locals who were helping protect property and others who were armed as part of the riots.  Situations like this have the potential to get very bloody, very fast and if that happens it can spread to different cities like wildfire.  I understand, as best I'm able, not being black, how outrageous this act is seen to be but lashing out and stirring racial hatred against people who had no part in it will only make the situation much worse.  All of the anger and political discord that the media have been pushing creates a certain level of stress in the system and an event like this, if followed by looting and shooting of innocents, has the potential to turn into something very ugly.  

They live in Blaine, which is a suburb of Minneapolis. My son has been working from home because of the pandemic ( he works for T-Mobile) but my daughter-in-law commutes to Minneapolis for work. I hope they are able to calm down the situation that happened last night. Community leaders have been called out to assist in insuring those protesting peacefully can do so safely.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, freetoroam said:

Many of the citizens in LA lost homes and businesses during that period of rioting.  As I recall, it went on for a couple of days before they settled down.  A black man named Rodney King was high on some drugs and resisted some LA cops who were trying to arrest him.  The takedown turned violent, the cops got out of control and began savagely beating this guy, even after he stopped resisting.  It was filmed and there was an assumption in the black community in LA that these cops were going to prison.  They just expected it to be a slam dunk prosecution.  It never occurred to them that juries can be completely unpredictable. 

The verdict came back with the cops being acquitted and once word got out, the neighborhoods around where the beating happened had all hell break loose.  The event I remember most vividly was a scene filmed from a police helicopter that showed a group of guys drag a white truck driver out of his vehicle, beat him unconscious and then use a cinder block to try to crush his skull.  All because he was white and he showed up in the wrong place.  His name was Reginald Denny and once he got out of the hospital he actually made a statement that he forgave those who beat him.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, and then said:

Hopefully the looters will all get coronavirus.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, susieice said:

They live in Blaine, which is a suburb of Minneapolis. My son has been working from home because of the pandemic ( he works for T-Mobile) but my daughter-in-law commutes to Minneapolis for work. I hope they are able to calm down the situation that happened last night. Community leaders have been called out to assist in insuring those protesting peacefully can do so safely.

I'd heard the Mayor had requested the National Guard be mobilized to help restore order.  Do you know if that is going to happen?  It's a rare step to take but in a situation where every cop is seen as the enemy, it might be the only way to restore the peace.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cookie Monster said:

Well, they certainly aren't social distancing, are they? ;)   

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

Strangely, if you look at the videos, many of the protesters are wearing masks and are spread out, not bunched together. Looters no but protesters, yes.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, and then said:

I'd heard the Mayor had requested the National Guard be mobilized to help restore order.  Do you know if that is going to happen?  It's a rare step to take but in a situation where every cop is seen as the enemy, it might be the only way to restore the peace.

They are still requesting National Guard assistance. I don't know if the Guard is already present or not. They may have already been somewhat there helping with the pandemic. Minneapolis had somewhere around 600 cases of Covid. My daughter-in-law didn't mention seeing them. I'm anxiously awaiting to see how things go tonight.

I found this article saying the military was sent to the 3rd Precinct police department to assist last night.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/05/hundreds-protest-police-death-of-george-floyd-in-minneapolis.html

Mayor Jacob Frey called on the Minnesota National Guard Wednesday night to help the Minneapolis Police manage the protests. The Star Tribunereports that the military “was ordered to the 3rd Precinct police station to relieve Minneapolis police officers, as demonstrators encircled the precinct.” The protests were concentrated around the precinct, where “virtually” every business within a two block radius was damaged in some way, according to CBS Minnesota.

Here's the Star Tribune report.

https://www.startribune.com/shooting-death-near-minneapolis-protest-george-floyd-calls-for-ex-officer-s-arrest/570804062/?refresh=true

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, and then said:

I'm reasonably sure he will be very soon.  

Probably, correct.  Which, is why I think nothing should have been done until the criminal process had run it's course. 

When it comes to sentencing the judge can take adverse affects into account.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, susieice said:

Minneapolis had somewhere around 600 cases of Covid.

I could be wrong here. Hennepin County had over 7600 cases with 565 deaths. By far, the highest in the state. Maybe the number I came across was the number of deaths in the area.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1

My daughter-in-law just messaged me. Her workplace is still blocks away from where the rioting is happening, but they have 3 other clinics that are very close and the situation is being monitered. She didn't realize earlier just how bad it got overnight after they went to bed. I'm just praying for everyone's safety.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just saw this making the rounds. It fits in with the reports that came out last night about Officer Derek Chauvin. Why was he even still on the police force?

No photo description available.

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, and then said:

The Governor has now activated the National Guard.

https://www.fox29.com/news/minnesota-governor-activates-national-guard-to-restore-calm-amid-escalating-unrest-over-george-floyd-death?fbclid=IwAR0Vhoz8Cbe2C89r_xj-Ns-Vls1Ezt2H5TWamFWmJ2azKAEwcfNkzSPFO2g

• Like 1

1 hour ago, susieice said:

Why was he even still on the police force?

I expect Mr Floyd's family attorney will get the answers to that question while a jury is hammering the city of Minneapolis.  How can officers with that kind of history still be in uniform?

• Like 1

This video is from inside the Target Store that was looted.

15 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

Where are the US police in all of that?

They need to go charging in giving their war cries while cracking some skulls.

Guess they are still cleaning up their uniforms from spits of the Trumpists.

• Confused 2

14 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

If they protested by attacking a police station, or even government/state buildings, then I could understand that. But looting a shop ? 

They had the police station surrounded. They threw bricks through the windows.