Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

3 boys get spider bites to become Spider-Man

Still Waters

Three Bolivian brothers were left in hospital after provoking a black widow spider into biting them.

The boys, aged 12, 10, and 8, were hoping that the bite would leave them with superpowers like Spider-Man, Telemundo first reported.

Instead, they were transferred to a children's hospital after suffering fevers, tremors, and muscle pains and were discharged a full week after getting bitten.

Ministry of Health official Virgilio Pietro shared the story during a coronavirus briefing as a warning to parents, saying: "For children, everything is real, movies are real."

https://news.yahoo.com/3-young-boys-bolivia-let-105500403.html

https://www.telemundoyakimatricities.com/hermanitos-se-dejan-picar-por-venenosa-arana-para-convertirse-en-spider-man/

• Haha 1
  • Sad 6

Instructive parents. I knew *No! Bad!* at 6. :hmm:

Black widows are so non-aggressive you have to be trying really hard to get bit......

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

They are learning the hard way about nature.

Lets home they do not get to watch the Hulk and have sons when they get older.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

They'll probably end up as doc octopus sooner than later... 

~

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Don't the spiders need to be radioactive to work properly?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Piney said:

Instructive parents. I knew *No! Bad!* at 6. :hmm:

Black widows are so non-aggressive you have to be trying really hard to get bit......

Red Backs? Unless their Web get disturbed they do bite  and Sometimes without injecting the venom however they are not to be toyed with. They can even be found in Sweden now During the summer usually in imported cars. 

Edited by 'Walt' E. Kurtz
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, 'Walt' E. Kurtz said:

Red Backs?

No, they're from Australia.....Or somewhere thereabouts....

Black widows have been brought to Europe and the U.K. in American cars though. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Piney said:

No, they're from Australia.....Or somewhere thereabouts....

Black widows have been brought to Europe and the U.K. in American cars though. 

I ment the black widow can be found in Sweden :-) and The Black widow is related to the red back in Oz :-) 

Edited by 'Walt' E. Kurtz
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, 'Walt' E. Kurtz said:

The Black widow is related to the red back in Oz :-) 

Same clade. 

• Like 1

On 5/28/2020 at 7:40 AM, Still Waters said:

The boys, aged 12, 10, and 8, were hoping that the bite would leave them with superpowers like Spider-Man

I'm going to be brutally honest for a second on 2 things.

1. When I grew up my grandmother kept me & my 2 cousins. I was the oldest with a year between me & the middle cousin & a year between him and our younger cousin. If we had decided to do this, once the 1st kid got bit, the other 2 wouldn't get within an inch of the spider that bit one of us & he started crying. It just was NOT going to happen. The 1st tears that came out & the other 2 learned from the 1st one's mistake.

2. Yeah, I would probably have been dumb enough to do this at 8, but by 12, I'd hope I was a little smarter. LOL Either way, kids gonna be kids. Just glad they survived the ordeal because those spider bites are bad.

• Like 1

This is why my daughter and I sat down and discussed reality vs fantasy.  At 5 she came back from a visit from her dad's and was having nightmares.  Through lots of talking, she finally admitted she thought a vampire was going to eat her.  He let her watch Underworld.  So many people don't take the time to spend with their children to educate them. 

I read a study a while back that says kids couldn't differentiate between cartoon characters and real people.  Now we have such amazing CGI, we really need to be talking AND interacting with our children.  That is our jobs as parents.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, glorybebe said:

Now we have such amazing CGI, we really need to be talking AND interacting with our children.  That is our jobs as parents.

110% agree! My youngest is about to turn 13 & he loves scary stuff now, but 5 Nights at Freddy's scared the crap outta him when he was younger. LOL Wish I'd have known that before we took him to Chuck E Cheese for his cousins' combined birthday parties. It was bad enough when the animatronics started moving. When that oversized mouse came walking out, he freaked!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jowasmus said:

110% agree! My youngest is about to turn 13 & he loves scary stuff now, but 5 Nights at Freddy's scared the crap outta him when he was younger. LOL Wish I'd have known that before we took him to Chuck E Cheese for his cousins' combined birthday parties. It was bad enough when the animatronics started moving. When that oversized mouse came walking out, he freaked!

I monitor my daughter's (11) phone and TV. I don't allow her to watch horror movies, no social media, etc... To tell the truth, we didn't even want her having a phone for at least 2 more years, but when she's home by herself, I want her to be able to call us or 911, if needed. Thanks to our home network, I can see if she's recording something she shouldn't be watching, or if she's already watched something her mother and I don't approve of. We can't be on top of everything, but she knows what we approve of and is pretty good about it. She also needs my approval to download any app. I even have her phone set up to go into standby at bedtime and control it all from my phone. If she's breaking the rules, I get a notification. That said, we don't shelter her and try to be fair with things.

One thing that amazes me is,  we still have the majority who say media has no influence on people who do stupid stuff like this or commit crimes. Just watch the cable show 'Copycat Killers'. I don't care what anyone says, music/rap, movies, TV shows and games like GTA have an effect on people. Especially young people.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jbondo said:

I monitor my daughter's (11) phone and TV. I don't allow her to watch horror movies, no social media, etc... To tell the truth, we didn't even want her having a phone for at least 2 more years, but when she's home by herself, I want her to be able to call us or 911, if needed. Thanks to our home network, I can see if she's recording something she shouldn't be watching, or if she's already watched something her mother and I don't approve of. We can't be on top of everything, but she knows what we approve of and is pretty good about it. She also needs my approval to download any app. I even have her phone set up to go into standby at bedtime and control it all from my phone. If she's breaking the rules, I get a notification. That said, we don't shelter her and try to be fair with things.

One thing that amazes me is,  we still have the majority who say media has no influence on people who do stupid stuff like this or commit crimes. Just watch the cable show 'Copycat Killers'. I don't care what anyone says, music/rap, movies, TV shows and games like GTA have an effect on people. Especially young people.

Good for you. I used to be a computer tech. It amazed me what was on the desktop of people's computers when they came in. As for phones, it's a horror what's on some of them as well. People don't even try to hide things anymore. Then they get mad that their kids are doing the same things.

I have 2 kids. Good kids, but we monitor every thing they do because we know they are humans. LOL

On the influence of the media, I'm right there with you, but it's not just children. I can honestly say that I can be aggressive driving when I watch movies like The Fast & the Furious. I can get angry watching the news. I can blow my top reading articles on the internet. I also play games like Saints Row/GTA. I find that bad language enters my mind & I have to work harder not to speak what I'm thinking. I'm in my upper 40s. If those things can affect a "normal" adult then they can wreck havoc on a child, especially those who's parents designate the TV, internet, or video games as babysitters. I kid you not, I was in the local Gamestop and a mother came in with her 8 year old son. He wanted one of the GTA games. The guy at the counter asked if the game was for the child & the mother said yes. He straight up told her what was in the game & she pulled out her check book asking the price. The manager was walking through & made it clear that it was a mature game & why. The kid left with the game.

• Like 2

you sure you have their ages right.. 12,10,8... and not 6,4,2

• Like 1

On 5/28/2020 at 11:19 PM, freetoroam said:

They are learning the hard way about nature.

Lets home they do not get to watch the Hulk and have sons when they get older.

lol. "mum can we go to the nuclear power plant..." 

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/29/2020 at 10:13 AM, glorybebe said:

I read a study a while back that says kids couldn't differentiate between cartoon characters and real people.  Now we have such amazing CGI, we really need to be talking AND interacting with our children.  That is our jobs as parents.

Yup! I remember a story about a cosplayer dressed as "Raven" from the cartoon Teen Titans and a little girl got so excited and ran to talk to her,asking if she could "make her fly". The dad found it hilarious and encouraged her which isn't good in my opinion. :unsure2: I've also heard of a kid who was told online from fans of some show that he can "create steps that he can climb with his mind" long story short he tried and fell from a 10 story window. He didn't survive. There was also that Naruto incident where the little boy suffocated in sand :hmm: also that guy who wrote classmates names in a "Death Note" before he was planning on shooting up his school....

the article failed to say if it actually worked or not....(I will wait for further info before I try it)  :whistle:

• Haha 1

On 6/29/2020 at 3:46 PM, quillius said:

the article failed to say if it actually worked or not....(I will wait for further info before I try it)  :whistle:

I tried it and i'd be first to say i don't as yet have web producing facilities in my wrists

• Haha 2