Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Eerie shadow figure captured on hotel CCTV

UM-Bot

Papameter Reading

66% Paranormal    34% Normal

Considerations: Multiple reports 

• Like 1

Why was he filming the monitor? If we get the reason why he was filming the monitor, we can better determine if it's CGI or not.
But it seems very convenient that he just happened to film an eventless monitor.

• Like 2

It looks like he was reviewing a recording and decided to film the anomaly. It doesn't look to me like he was filming it live. 

What brought him to check the tapes back for what was a fleeting second is the real question. Did he just happen to be watching the camera and saw it? Was he spying on the cleaning maid who's cart was there. The footage does show a "Motion" option in Yellow which suggests it is set up to capture any kind of movement but the "recording" is a green bar, not yellow, so was the motion sensors set off and he was reviewing the footage, and if so why was that period of time a green and not yellow bar?  

• Like 1

It's clearly a hoax.

19 minutes ago, 'Walt' E. Kurtz said:

It's clearly a hoax.

What gives it away, in your opinion?

Not that I disagree!

Without the full video I'm calling it a hoax. It is obviously a supply cart and whoever is working to clean that room might have just did a quick dash for something. 

• Like 3

@sci-nerd

It has a plastic look and feel to it like bad CGI sort of. 

• Like 3

That was fun footage :)

I'm not sure it's a hoax just yet. It could be though, considering some of the hotels reviews online and some of it's apparent history in the past of throwing an amusement haunt on the property.  I backtracked the vid a bit, and looks like the gal that originally posted the vid elsewhere has been asked why they were viewing that footage for the "capture".

I do find it curious that the cart is parked and unattended in front of an elevator. That's not a usual thing, more often carts are parked in front of rooms that are being serviced.  I did find it encouraging that it looked like an actual hotel cam pointed at elevators and stationary like it should be- and a couple photos on the internet showed that ugly carpet in the video is likely the actual hotel in question. 

That said- it would probably be easy enough to hoax up the video. And also, considering some reports of the place- I have to wonder if they have a squatter on the property sneaking stuff off carts and hiding somewhere on premises. 

For interest, here's a video someone took a few years back of the place- be warned, it was filmed upside down. 

I'm willing to bet it's the shadow of the cleaning person who's working in the room where the cleaning cart is parked. Notice how it's said that's an elevator. How do we really know that? I don't think it is, I think the cart is by a room. There's no elevator buttons on the wall, for one thing. Even if it is an elevator, they clean those too (I'd HOPE!).
Either that, or it's 3 baby chupacabras in a trench coat.

Edited by Seti42
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

what is the refresh rate of this camera ? if it's just a kid playing or just going out fast from the ''elevator'' and going back in. The shadow is just caused by the horrible quality of the camera that cannot take a clear image of a fast moving person...

I vote low end hoax

• Like 1

Looks to me like either someone manipulated the shadow of a cleaning worker, or manipulated the speed of the video just at the point where the thing us moving.

I vote video editing, on purpose.

Either that, or it's a goblin, not a ghost. Maybe a bogart.

I think it's a kid playing hide and seek with the one peeking around the wall in the back.

21 hours ago, ExoPaul said:

It looks like he was reviewing a recording and decided to film the anomaly. It doesn't look to me like he was filming it live. 

What brought him to check the tapes back for what was a fleeting second is the real question. Did he just happen to be watching the camera and saw it? Was he spying on the cleaning maid who's cart was there. The footage does show a "Motion" option in Yellow which suggests it is set up to capture any kind of movement but the "recording" is a green bar, not yellow, so was the motion sensors set off and he was reviewing the footage, and if so why was that period of time a green and not yellow bar?  

If it's not a hoax, I'd say spying on the janitor would be most likely. Maybe it's an attractive woman? Or, maybe he suspects slacking, or stealing? Suffice it to say, even if it isn't a hoax, it looks like an old or cheap CCTV system. If not, it's made that way to hide imperfections in the hoax. Many companies and hotels have systems that haven't been updated in 20 yrs. Artifacts, shadows, reflections, ect...often look "paranormal" with old CCTV. I'll bet dollars to donuts that there are places still using video cassettes in their CCTV systems. Old motels along the highway, run by webeyes....

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, sci-nerd said:

Why was he filming the monitor? If we get the reason why he was filming the monitor, we can better determine if it's CGI or not.
But it seems very convenient that he just happened to film an eventless monitor.

If you  notice, there are shadows coming from the room, so maybe it is a shadow of the cleaner doing her/his work.

• Like 3

If that is ligit footage, there is no way that is the cleaning persons shadow. 

• Confused 1

Easily achieved with Paint shop pro and Vdub.  Just record 10 seconds of footage.  Take the file and drag it into Vdub.  Save the file as a series of raw jpg files.  The video footage will be converted into about 300 jpg picture files.  Each one is numbered automatically and in ascending order.  Now you just need to edit about 3 seconds of the original footage, so take 90 jpgs and open them with Paint shop pro.  Edit each of those pictures with a dark shadowy figure and add very slight changes in movement in each one (just like a cartoon flip book) to make it appear the ghost is moving across the screen.  Save the edited jpgs.  Drag all of them back into Vdub and save it as an AVI file.  Open the file and present your newly created ghost video.  Easy as pie.

ghostshadow.png

Edited by Aaron2017
  • Like 2

On 6/1/2020 at 7:28 PM, Aaron2017 said:

Easily achieved with Paint shop pro and Vdub.  Just record 10 seconds of footage.  Take the file and drag it into Vdub.  Save the file as a series of raw jpg files.  The video footage will be converted into about 300 jpg picture files.  Each one is numbered automatically and in ascending order.  Now you just need to edit about 3 seconds of the original footage, so take 90 jpgs and open them with Paint shop pro.  Edit each of those pictures with a dark shadowy figure and add very slight changes in movement in each one (just like a cartoon flip book) to make it appear the ghost is moving across the screen.  Save the edited jpgs.  Drag all of them back into Vdub and save it as an AVI file.  Open the file and present your newly created ghost video.  Easy as pie.

ghostshadow.png

Your still photo does not look like an "easy as pie" video... and the shadow you put in the photo does not look like the OP video shadow either. Interesting explanation, but not at all executed as explained. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, rashore said:

Your still photo does not look like an "easy as pie" video... and the shadow you put in the photo does not look like the OP video shadow either. Interesting explanation, but not at all executed as explained. 

The still photo is just a quick example of how easy it is to edit still frames, patch them together and create the illusion that a shadowy figure is moving across the screen.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Aaron2017 said:

The still photo is just a quick example of how easy it is to edit still frames, patch them together and create the illusion that a shadowy figure is moving across the screen.

It's an example of putting something into one still frame... it's not an example of patching many of them together into a video. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rashore said:

It's an example of putting something into one still frame... it's not an example of patching many of them together into a video. 

It was an example to show how easy it is to edit still frames.  Just edit 60 of them and create the illusion of a ghostly figure e.g.

Qa6FpA.gif

Edited by Aaron2017
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Aaron2017 said:

It was an example to show how easy it is to edit still frames.  Just edit 60 of them and create the illusion of a ghostly figure e.g.

Qa6FpA.gif

Ok, at least that was a video that time. Make it match the OP and we might have a solid explanation for the OP video. Almost to an evidence or if you can replicate the effect well enough maybe a proof of the fudged video explanation. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, rashore said:

Ok, at least that was a video that time. Make it match the OP and we might have a solid explanation for the OP video. Almost to an evidence or if you can replicate the effect well enough maybe a proof of the fudged video explanation. 

You can do many effects with paint shop pro.  I did that little video above in about 10 minutes.  There are tools to blur, smear, and morph the pixels in an image to create that sweeping ghost effect.  I don't have the time to fashion together an exact representation but it would only take someone with a free afternoon to toy with the paint shop application and create any effect they wish, and instead of editing 10 or 20 frames per second, they could edit 30 or 60 frames per second and create that smooth effect e.g. 

Shadow People (With images) | Shadow people

Edited by Aaron2017
  • Like 2