Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Executive order against social media

SKINWALKER19

The draft executive order being prepared by the Trump administration tests the boundaries of the White House's authority. In a long-shot legal bid, it seeks to curtail the power of large social media platforms by reinterpreting a critical 1996 law that shields websites and tech companies from lawsuits.

https://www.cbs58.com/news/trump-is-set-to-announce-an-executive-order-against-social-media-companies

This is interesting as obviously the main culprits will be very biased against the Donald in the lead up to the next presidential election , his legal team must believe they have grounds to contest !

Edited by Still Waters
Source link added
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

We got the link!

Edited by sci-nerd
  • Like 2

I agree with this statement 

A small handful of social media monopolies controls a vast portion of all public and private communications in the United States," he claimed. "They've had unchecked power to censor, restrict, edit, shape, hide, alter, virtually any form of communication between private citizens and large public audiences."

However I don't understand the point of the executive order.

I'm confused by the purpose of this.

So he wants to get social media catagorized as a "publisher" which means they can be held legally liable for what content people put on their site?

Wouldn't that just encourage social media to censor even more content?

What am I missing. 

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

What a whiny little sook he is, all because he got called on his b.s..

Just another one of his toddler trump tantrums.

Now maybe he will go back to his other b.s. conspiracy about "Obamagate", the crime of the century he can't name, that never happened.

What a petty insecure fool.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

This seems to be the case.  I can understand his desire to gain some equity of treatment for Conservative Americans who use these platforms. Conservative opinions tend to be disproportionately censored on these sites.  I think the issue should be taken up as a legal case with a whole class of plaintiffs.  Any remedy gained in that way should be more permanent.  If he manages to get the relief he wants by EO,  the issue just gets kicked down the road until the next president nullifies the EO.  

The idea that an entity of the size and scope of Facebook or Twitter can be insulated from regulation due to being private businesses is ridiculous, IMO.  I'm generally against government regulation of businesses but these platforms have become such an integral part of our culture that the case can be made that they are like utility companies.  

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Most media outlets, in order to AVOID being branded as partisan, have bent over backwards to allow conservative viewpoints to be expressed.

Oddly enough, it is the conservative outlets, like Fox and OANN that dig into the partisan trench and act as virulent as they claim other outlets are.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

37 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

I agree with this statement 

However I don't understand the point of the executive order.

I'm confused by the purpose of this.

So he wants to get social media catagorized as a "publisher" which means they can be held legally liable for what content people put on their site?

What am I missing. 

I red the "executive order" and this is what bothers me: radicalisation. We went thru this with young men being radicalized and hired for ISIS. The far right and left used social media and youtube for the same reason. Youtube did a good job removing most of the crapp. Now, seems like they will not be able to censor or remove. This is so stupid of a very stupid and evil person.

He is giving a free pass to al sorts of radicals, extremists, antisemits, xenophobes, homphobes....you name it. They will come crawling back from the dark places into the light.

Every action has a reaction and the reaction will put the center, step right step left, into harms way.

Stupid idiot. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, odas said:

He is giving a free pass to al sorts of radicals, extremists, antisemits, xenophobes, homphobes....you name it. They will come crawling back from the dark places into the light.

As Donald has done from the start.

This individual thrives on separation, division, fear and hatred. All factors that his base thrive on.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

ANY public outlet should refrain from using a commercial media for direct public inquiry.

Either they should make their own, or use the ones they already possess.

This is too freakin stupid. The POTUS has nothing to do on a commercial platform! It's for the people, dumb@ss!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, odas said:

I red the "executive order" and this is what bothers me: radicalisation. We went thru this with young men being radicalized and hired for ISIS. The far right and left used social media and youtube for the same reason. Youtube did a good job removing most of the crapp. Now, seems like they will not be able to censor or remove. This is so stupid of a very stupid and evil person.

Every action has a reaction and the reaction will put the center, step right step left, into harms way.

Stupid idiot. 

I think it’s fair to say that Tweeter benefitted greatly with Trumps tweets for a long time. I can see why Trump is angry. He probably thought the symbiotic relationship would last longer. Twitter road trump hard and now months out from the election they’re cutting him off from getting his message out. No matter what you think of him (and I don’t think much of him) Trump has used Twitter effectively to get his deluded agenda to the masses. 

without Twitter or MSM outlets to carry his trash talk Trump is gonna find it hard to attack Biden like he did Hillary. Game changer.

Edited by Captain Risky
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

ANY public outlet should refrain from using a commercial media for direct public inquiry.

Either they should make their own, or use the ones they already possess.

This is too freakin stupid. The POTUS has nothing to do on a commercial platform! It's for the people, dumb@ss!

Trump in my opinion cheapened the presidency by using Twitter as his personal revenge tool. He used Twitter free speech and the legal protection and audience it provides to great effect. 

I think banning a president from Twitter is a personal matter more than a social responsibility.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

Twitter road trump hard and now months out from the election they’re cutting him off from getting his message out.

Explain.  

Did Twitter remove his post? Censor it? Please define how Twitter is "cutting him off from getting his message out."?

• Like 6

Now let's not be too hard on Trump. He was born that way

5alpBDRt_400x400.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

Explain.  

Did Twitter remove his post? Censor it? Please define how Twitter is "cutting him off from getting his message out."?

Zuckerberg even says private companies shouldn't be 'the arbiter of truth'.

I hope I don't have to explain that to you.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

I think it’s fair to say that Tweeter benefitted greatly with Trumps tweets for a long time. I can see why Trump is angry. He probably thought the symbiotic relationship would last longer. Twitter road trump hard and now months out from the election they’re cutting him off from getting his message out. No matter what you think of him (and I don’t think much of him) Trump has used Twitter effectively to get his deluded agenda to the masses. 

without Twitter or MSM outlets to carry his trash talk Trump is gonna find it hard to attack Biden like he did Hillary. Game changer.

This is very true Captain, and I think the reason this is occurring is because of the Hugh Death toll suffered by Americans. This death toll appears to be a game changer along with the Presidents lack of empathy for the suffering of the American people. Yesterday the Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnel spoke out against the Presidents policy of not wearing a Mask. He did this on National TV, and he stated that it is the responsibility of all Americans to wear a mask to protect their fellow Americans. Today Sean Hannity a Commentator on Fox News a known ardent Trump Supporter, has also spoken out, this morning he was begging the American people to wear masks in public. This is only the beginning, the Rats are jumping off Trumps ship, they can no longer in good conscience continue to support his mentally fueled mania and his political agenda concerning not wearing a masks.

Peace

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

Explain.  

No Twitter didn’t remove them but they did worse to the Trump narrative, they put a fact check label on his tarot card opinions and claims. He can’t lie and get away with it anymore without providing a source. 

Edited by Captain Risky
  • Like 6