Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cannabis used at ancient Israelite altar site

eight bits

Two limestone monoliths, interpreted as altars, were found in the Judahite shrine at Tel Arad. Unidentified dark material preserved on their upper surfaces was submitted for organic residue analysis at two unrelated laboratories that used similar established extraction methods. On the smaller altar, residues of cannabinoids such as Δ9-teterahydrocannabinol (THC), cannabidiol (CBD) and cannabinol (CBN) were detected, along with an assortment of terpenes and terpenoids, suggesting that cannabis inflorescences had been burnt on it. Organic residues attributed to animal dung were also found, suggesting that the cannabis resin had been mixed with dung to enable mild heating.

It's not as if other religions haven't found mind-altering substances enlightening.

The Beeb's version of the story is

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-52847175

The underlying paper is open access (free of charge). Its abstract (where the quote box material came from) is here:

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/03344355.2020.1732046

and you can click through for the whole article if you'd like.

Edited by eight bits
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I'm pretty sure most religions have used cannabis extensively. Various landrace strains growing in these drier regions were also quite, umm...potent. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, eight bits said:

It's not as if other religions haven't found mind-altering substances enlightening.

They did have specific laws against Eastern Iranian Nomad religious practices, but banning Soma wasn't one of them apparently. 

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, eight bits said:

The Beeb's version of the story is

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-52847175

The underlying paper is open access (free of charge). Its abstract (where the quote box material came from) is here:

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/03344355.2020.1732046

and you can click through for the whole article if you'd like.

Thanks for sharing this, it is an interesting article, and it is not surprising  at all. Don't forget either that at certain times in history Priests were also so healers, and it could also have been used for that also.

Peace

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, 19_Kilo said:

This comes as no surprise. I'm betting the early Christians also rocked the ganj on occasion.  I mean, really: have you ever read Revelations? Ol' John definitely twisted up a fattie before writing that stuff.

I say they all rocked on weed. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Piney said:

They did have specific laws against Eastern Iranian Nomad religious practices, but banning Soma wasn't one of them apparently. 

I thought soma was echinacea. Or was that homa?

—Jaylemurph 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, jaylemurph said:

I thought soma was echinacea. Or was that homa?

—Jaylemurph 

I think that was Homa. 

Soma was most likely brewed buds. Probably using honey as a "extractor" .

Then we have the atypical Scythian-Sarmatian "Depressorizing Smokehouse". 

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, 19_Kilo said:

This comes as no surprise. I'm betting the early Christians also rocked the ganj on occasion.  I mean, really: have you ever read Revelations? Ol' John definitely twisted up a fattie before writing that stuff.

I honestly think it was a Greek "parody" of a "Daniel Style"  prophetic vision to give the Emperor and Rome a nutshot.

In the Koine it reads like pure Greek sarcasm. 

• Like 4

I just rolled some in my holy papers and am going outside to become one with the cosmos.:lol:

jmccr8

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, jmccr8 said:

I just rolled some in my holy papers and am going outside to become one with the cosmos.:lol:

jmccr8

Wait for the munchies afterwards and you can realign your soul with Uber Eats. 

• Haha 3

19 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

Wait for the munchies afterwards and you can realign your soul with Uber Eats. 

:D

• Like 2