Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How would mankind handle an alien invasion ?

On 2/18/2021 at 7:49 PM, Hyperionxvii said:

If they mean us harm, we'd all die, that's how. Does anyone think that if a civilization who is so much more technological advanced than us that they can traverse light years of interstellar space, decides to take our planet, that we could stop them? Real life is not a Hollywood film, folks, and Will Smith is not going to save us from beings thousands, or millions or years more technologically advanced than us. We'd stand as much chance as an anthill against the combined forces of the US military would. 

Only if they are willing to render the planet uninhabitable.  If not then they will just kill most of us before an intense gorilla war starts that we will probably win since we're already dug in and all xeno scum must die. 

9 hours ago, OverSword said:

Only if they are willing to render the planet uninhabitable.  If not then they will just kill most of us before an intense gorilla war starts that we will probably win since we're already dug in and all xeno scum must die. 

I don't think there would be any war. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

I don't think there would be any war. 

Me neither. I’ve read a few books by Walter Jon Williams (sci-fi) that show convincingly that the people that run the point of contact between two alien races, assuming both are somewhat advanced, will be hugely enriched and each become the dominant entity in their spheres of influence. I recommend Angel Station by Williams as a fun read on the subject. He’s definitely up there in my favorite authors in the genre 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, OverSword said:

Me neither. I’ve read a few books by Walter Jon Williams (sci-fi) that show convincingly that the people that run the point of contact between two alien races, assuming both are somewhat advanced, will be hugely enriched and each become the dominant entity in their spheres of influence. I recommend Angel Station by Williams as a fun read on the subject. He’s definitely up there in my favorite authors in the genre 

I'd agree that violence is unlikely as it would hamper a technological rise to begin with.

If there was a hostile visitor, it would happen from space. Drop a few  volatile substances or a pathogen from orbit and they can just wait until life is extinguished before actually setting foot on the planet. I can't see aliens in hand to hand combat. 

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 3

On 2/25/2021 at 3:20 AM, psyche101 said:

I can't see aliens in hand to hand combat. 

Neither can I--one would presume that any civilization technologically sophisticated enough to purge us would likely do so from space. It's a logical assumption, for sure.

That said, we could never truly know as we can only think based in the context of a human. What is a "logical thought" to us may not ever even occur to them, and vice-versa.

• Like 1

Given the age of our galaxy, and the stars in it, its been calculated that the average extraterrestrial civilization should be about a billion years our senior. That seems like a very long time, even at sublight travel velocities, during which they could have occupied, exploited, invaded or obliterated any planet that they wished.

We have no evidence that any of this has ever occurred on Earth. Perhaps these elder civilizations  long ago outgrew their taste for violence, and conquest. They may even have found that they didn't need our minerals, or water.

A really advanced, galaxy-wide civilization might be quite content to leave us to our own devices, at least until we looked to be about ready, in, say, a hundred or a few hundred years, to blunder onto them, in some nearby outpost of theirs. 

At that point, we might be due for some instructions on how to be good galactic citizens.   

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Nuclear Wessel said:

Neither can I--one would presume that any civilization technologically sophisticated enough to purge us would likely do so from space. It's a logical assumption, for sure.

That said, we could never truly know as we can only think based in the context of a human. What is a "logical thought" to us may not ever even occur to them, and vice-versa.

Hi Nuke

Neither can I, I would ply them with booze and women and hi-jack their ship to get the He double ll out of here.:lol:

jmccr8

• Like 1

On 6/1/2020 at 1:45 PM, mdbuilder said:

How would we handle an alien invasion? We'd offer them free housing, education and medical care and hope they play nice.

Depends if they are going to be doing the classic `anal probe` in which case mass resistance is needed lol.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2021 at 5:19 AM, glorybebe said:

We had the chance to pull together for covid and failed.  We had nurses travel to help with Ebola outbreaks and lie about exposure to come home and expose the public here and in England.  I don't have faith that humans would pull together if hostile aliens showed up.

While it's a good point there is one important aspect... Everyone would be forced to cooperate and fight for survival because of hungry aliens. That changes a lot.

As for Covid i do not see it as a failure of cooperation but rather as failure of individual systems. Many nations were totally unprepared and lacked a lot and in my opinion that also influenced each ability to offer help abroad, having enough troubles at home. These Covid problems all stem from those many holes in systems across almost every nation. It might serve as wake up call but price payed for mistakes of populists and money hungry profiteers is already too great...

• Like 1

It'd go well until the exact moment some greasy weirdo tries to **** one.