Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
zep73

World's first

Recommended Posts

zep73
Posted (edited)

Something I've always found fascinating is the first or oldest item of any kind. It really puts things in perspective, when we compare such a thing to modern standards, and sometimes they're older than expected, giving us a history lesson, that our ancestors were smarter than some of us think, when it came to inventions.

Oldest photograph - 1826

interesting-photography-facts-first-phot

 

Oldest moving picture - 1888

 

ENIAC - The First Computer - 1945

sddefault.jpg

 

As you can see, technology is something I find particularly interesting. But don't be limited by that, if you want to contribute with items to this thread!

Anything goes!

Edited by sci-nerd
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Noteverythingisaconspiracy
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, sci-nerd said:

Something I've always found fascinating is the first or oldest item of any kind. It really puts things in perspective, when we compare such a thing to modern standards, and sometimes they're older than expected, giving us a history lesson, that our ancestors were smarter than some of us think, when it came to inventions.

Oldest photograph - 1826

interesting-photography-facts-first-phot

 

Speaking of the first photograph, this is the oldest known photo of people. In the lower left there is a man getting his shoes polished. The long exposure is the reason why only those two relatively stationary people are visible.

Boulevard du Temple, Paris, 1838.

Daguerreotype

 

Edited by Noteverythingisaconspiracy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
zep73

Oldest known melody - ca. 1,400 BC

 

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
zep73

First music video (as we know them) - Bessie Smith - 1929

 

 

  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jethrofloyd

First telephone (Alexander Graham Bell)

alexander_graham_bell_500px.jpg 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Desertrat56

There was a mechanical computer before ENIAC.  Charles Babbage called it the difference engine.

https://www.computerhistory.org/babbage/

 

H3WPK0.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hetrodoxly
16 hours ago, sci-nerd said:

Something I've always found fascinating is the first or oldest item of any kind. It really puts things in perspective, when we compare such a thing to modern standards, and sometimes they're older than expected, giving us a history lesson, that our ancestors were smarter than some of us think, when it came to inventions.

Oldest photograph - 1826

interesting-photography-facts-first-phot

 

Oldest moving picture - 1888

 

ENIAC - The First Computer - 1945

sddefault.jpg

 

As you can see, technology is something I find particularly interesting. But don't be limited by that, if you want to contribute with items to this thread!

Anything goes!

I thought 'Colossus' built at Bletchley Park was the first electronic computer, 1944.

Colossus, the world's first large-scale programmable electronic computer, was constructed in London and installed at Bletchley in January 1944.
Inventor: Tommy Flowers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hetrodoxly

Stephensons Rocket.

The first steam locomotive. 

rocket.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hetrodoxly
1 hour ago, Desertrat56 said:

There was a mechanical computer before ENIAC.  Charles Babbage called it the difference engine.

https://www.computerhistory.org/babbage/

 

H3WPK0.jpg

Ada Lovelace has been called the world's first computer programmer. What she did was write the world's first machine algorithm for an early computing machine that existed only on paper. Of course, someone had to be the first, but Lovelace was a woman, and this was in the 1840s

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
zep73
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, hetrodoxly said:

I thought 'Colossus' built at Bletchley Park was the first electronic computer, 1944.

Colossus, the world's first large-scale programmable electronic computer, was constructed in London and installed at Bletchley in January 1944.
Inventor: Tommy Flowers

Colossus was an encryption breaker. There were also a couple of other encryption breakers, like "Bombe" around the same time period, and they could all technically be defined as computer prototypes.
The construction of ENIAC started in 1943, and it took two years to complete it. It was not easy to choose which one to credit as the first practical computer, but eventually I decided to choose ENIAC, because work on it began first, and it wasn't limited to narrow tasks, like the encryption breakers.

Edited by sci-nerd
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
jethrofloyd

First ever video game - Pong. October 1958.

hqdefault.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jaylemurph
3 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

There was a mechanical computer before ENIAC.  Charles Babbage called it the difference engine.

https://www.computerhistory.org/babbage/

 

H3WPK0.jpg

This is a re-creation. Babbage never actually built one.

—Jaylemurph 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hetrodoxly
1 hour ago, sci-nerd said:

Colossus was an encryption breaker. There were also a couple of other encryption breakers, like "Bombe" around the same time period, and they could all technically be defined as computer prototypes.
The construction of ENIAC started in 1943, and it took two years to complete it. It was not easy to choose which one to credit as the first practical computer, but eventually I decided to choose ENIAC, because work on it began first, and it wasn't limited to narrow tasks, like the encryption breakers.

Ok, there were 10 colossus computors, no1 was running in 1943.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jethrofloyd

First Reality TV - Candid Camera 1948 -  a show where unknowing people reacted to staged situations on camera was broadcast as the earliest form of reality TV.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Peter B

World's First boardgame: Royal Game of Ur (~2600BC)

image.png.b553c2b28ea5db24a7487f8e0adb7351.png

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hetrodoxly

Possible the most important discovery of the 20th century, Penicillin, Scottish scientist Alexander Fleming and a team at Oxford university.

330px-Alexander_Fleming.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Noteverythingisaconspiracy
On 6/6/2020 at 7:44 PM, hetrodoxly said:

Possible the most important discovery of the 20th century, Penicillin, Scottish scientist Alexander Fleming and a team at Oxford university.

330px-Alexander_Fleming.jpg

Probably the greatest accidental discovery. Of course it takes a great scientist to see the practical implications of said accident. :nw:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hetrodoxly
1 hour ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

Probably the greatest accidental discovery. Of course it takes a great scientist to see the practical implications of said accident. :nw:

Yes, he noticed mold on a petri dish had inhibited bacteria from multiplying but it took a team of scientists at Oxford many years to make usable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.