Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Breatharian yogi Prahlad Jani dies, aged 90

UM-Bot

12 minutes ago, stereologist said:

That's not true. Please try to connect to reality.

Error 404 Reality.Exe not found.:lol:

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Jaded1 said:

I'm not being funny but if you think those experiments were "scientifically controlled" in any way, shape or form you're more gullible than I thought you were.

Not gullible, but serious. We live in a universe where current science only understands the surface. 

9 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Not gullible, but serious. We live in a universe where current science only understands the surface. 

And laughable stories are all you pretend to have. So far we see nothing at all to backup your tall tales.

Ever going to deliver one of those strong cases you pretend exists?

We live in a universe where breatherians are just another of a long list of frauds.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Here is what this scam is all about.

https://skepchick.org/2017/07/breatharians-claim-to-live-without-food/

Their classes cost more than $1,700 for a weeklong course in San Francisco, where I assume students are taught how to sneak handfuls of almonds when no one is looking and which fast food restaurants are open late at night when everyone else is in bed.

There was a breatharian site going into 2012 that would teach you how to live off of prana. The class cost a million dollars but that was because it was a private class.

• Thanks 2

They took down the million dollar class but this is what is now on the website.

http://www.breatharian.com/5-magic-words-and-wiley-s-diet/

It is OK to drink from the cups when eating at McDonald.  I highly recommend that you eat at McDonalds when ever possible.  All McDonalds are constructed on properties that are protected by 5th Dimensional high energy/spiritual portals.  As you continue to use this meditation/diet program you will start to feel the difference in the atmosphere when eating inside of a McDonalds and outside. 

If you are in Europe:  substitute the HAMBURGER ROYAL WITH CHEESE for the double-quarter with cheese and COCA COLA LIGHT for the diet coke.  (DRINK ONLY THE COCA COLA LITE).

It is also acceptable to combine 2 quarter-pounders with cheese burgers to make one double-quarter pounder, if you can't get the double-quarter-pounder with cheese where you live. 

IMPORTANT NOTE:  DO NOT DRINK WATER OF ANY KIND OR FROM ANY SOURCE AND, MOST IMPORTANTLY,DO NOT EAT ANY FRUITS OR VEGETABLES DOING THIS REGIME!!!

I couldn't stop laughing while reading this.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I'm in the wrong business.

Yeah. If I was a piece of excrement I'd be a millionaire by fleecing the gullible people of the world.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, onlookerofmayhem said:

Yeah. If I was a piece of excrement I'd be a millionaire by fleecing the gullible people of the world.

That whole 'self-respect' thing gets in my way. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

We live in a universe where current science only understands the surface. 

The early races could absorb food from nature, trees, and animals. Even the aircraft of the ancients were moved using the energy of sprouted plants.In the movie Eragon, the boy asks to take his energy, but the dragon refuses then he himself transfers and falls exhausted but does not die.

There may be remote assimilation of food:

Spoiler

Once, when she was especially tired, she told me: "You should see how I regain my strength."

She was picking fruit in her garden ... It was not even a garden, but rather a huge park with many centuries-old olive and fig trees; I have never seen such a miracle. Starting in the valley, he stretched along the slope almost to the middle of the mountain. In the garden there were many lemon, orange and grapefruit trees. Grapefruit flowers smelled even nicer than the flowers of orange trees. The flowers were large, and Madame Theon knew how to get the essence out of them, once she gave me a bottle. So, she plucked a grapefruit, so huge, big and ripe, then lay on the bed and laid it on her stomach, right on the solar plexus and held it with both hands. She lay down and relaxed, but did not fall asleep, but simply lay calmly.

“Come back in an hour,” she told me.

I returned in an hour ... and I see: the grapefruit has become flat as a pancake. This is because the vital power of Madame Theon was so powerful that she was able to absorb the whole life of the fruit, so it became empty and flat. I saw it myself.

There is energy even in space, therefore our food or the sun as an energy source is just the condensed energy of space but man has lost the ability to absorb food directly from space. In future races, people's internal organs will be replaced by energy centers of energy absorption so that people will not have a stomach and lungs , the genitals will also disappear, since the process of the appearance of man on earth will not be a biological process, but a mental one.

how a person lost the opportunity to grab food in other ways:
Spoiler

This food, that was created, turned back and attempted to run away. He tried to take it up with speech. He did not succeed in taking it up through speech. If He had succeeded in taking it up with the speech, then one would have become contented merely by talking of food.

He tied to grasp that food with the sense of smell. He did not succeed in grasping it by smelling. If He had succeeded in grasping it by smelling, then everyone should have become contented merely by smelling food.

He wanted to take up the food with the eye. He did not succeed in taking it up with the eye. If He had taken it up with the eye, then one would have become satisfied by merely seeing food.

He wanted to take up the food with the ear. He did not succeed in taking it up with the ear. If He had taken it up with the ear, then one would have become satisfied by merely by hearing of food.

He wanted to take it up with the sense of touch. He did not succeed in taking it up with the sense of touch. If He had taken it up with touch, then one would have become been satisfied merely by touching food.

He wanted to take it up with the mind. He did not succeed in taking it up with the mind. If He had taken it up with the mind, then one would have become satisfied by merely thinking of food.

He wanted to take it up with the procreative organ. He did not succeed in taking it up with the procreative organ. If He had taken it up with the procreative organ, then one would have become satisfied by merely ejecting food.

He wanted to take it up with Apana. He caught it. This is the devourer of food. That vital energy which is well known as dependent of food for its subsistence is this vital energy (called Apana).

https://web.archive.org/web/20170701185530/http://www.celextel.org/upanishads/rig_veda/aitareya.html

(apana vayu - lower abdomen. Descending energy responsible for excretory processes;kidneys, anus, genitals, colon and rectum refers to apana)

Edited by Coil
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Coil said:

The early races could absorb food from nature, trees, and animals.

We still do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

Nutrition carries its germ of death, decay. Because the eater assimilates the dead creature and becomes mortal himself. And of course, the food must be replaced by something.

The psychic is immortal, and through it immortality can manifest itself on earth.

To be ready for immortality, the consciousness of the body must first be identified with the Eternal Consciousness.

1 hour ago, Coil said:

The early races could absorb food from nature, trees, and animals. Even the aircraft of the ancients were moved using the energy of sprouted plants.In the movie Eragon, the boy asks to take his energy, but the dragon refuses then he himself transfers and falls exhausted but does not die.

There may be remote assimilation of food:

Hide contents

Once, when she was especially tired, she told me: "You should see how I regain my strength."

She was picking fruit in her garden ... It was not even a garden, but rather a huge park with many centuries-old olive and fig trees; I have never seen such a miracle. Starting in the valley, he stretched along the slope almost to the middle of the mountain. In the garden there were many lemon, orange and grapefruit trees. Grapefruit flowers smelled even nicer than the flowers of orange trees. The flowers were large, and Madame Theon knew how to get the essence out of them, once she gave me a bottle. So, she plucked a grapefruit, so huge, big and ripe, then lay on the bed and laid it on her stomach, right on the solar plexus and held it with both hands. She lay down and relaxed, but did not fall asleep, but simply lay calmly.

“Come back in an hour,” she told me.

I returned in an hour ... and I see: the grapefruit has become flat as a pancake. This is because the vital power of Madame Theon was so powerful that she was able to absorb the whole life of the fruit, so it became empty and flat. I saw it myself.

There is energy even in space, therefore our food or the sun as an energy source is just the condensed energy of space but man has lost the ability to absorb food directly from space. In future races, people's internal organs will be replaced by energy centers of energy absorption so that people will not have a stomach and lungs , the genitals will also disappear, since the process of the appearance of man on earth will not be a biological process, but a mental one.

how a person lost the opportunity to grab food in other ways:
  Hide contents

This food, that was created, turned back and attempted to run away. He tried to take it up with speech. He did not succeed in taking it up through speech. If He had succeeded in taking it up with the speech, then one would have become contented merely by talking of food.

He tied to grasp that food with the sense of smell. He did not succeed in grasping it by smelling. If He had succeeded in grasping it by smelling, then everyone should have become contented merely by smelling food.

He wanted to take up the food with the eye. He did not succeed in taking it up with the eye. If He had taken it up with the eye, then one would have become satisfied by merely seeing food.

He wanted to take up the food with the ear. He did not succeed in taking it up with the ear. If He had taken it up with the ear, then one would have become satisfied by merely by hearing of food.

He wanted to take it up with the sense of touch. He did not succeed in taking it up with the sense of touch. If He had taken it up with touch, then one would have become been satisfied merely by touching food.

He wanted to take it up with the mind. He did not succeed in taking it up with the mind. If He had taken it up with the mind, then one would have become satisfied by merely thinking of food.

He wanted to take it up with the procreative organ. He did not succeed in taking it up with the procreative organ. If He had taken it up with the procreative organ, then one would have become satisfied by merely ejecting food.

He wanted to take it up with Apana. He caught it. This is the devourer of food. That vital energy which is well known as dependent of food for its subsistence is this vital energy (called Apana).

https://web.archive.org/web/20170701185530/http://www.celextel.org/upanishads/rig_veda/aitareya.html

(apana vayu - lower abdomen. Descending energy responsible for excretory processes;kidneys, anus, genitals, colon and rectum refers to apana)

Well, you are off to a whole new level there. I don't expect a friendly reception to those thoughts from the very materially grounded crowd here. But I'll give you a 'food for thought' credit (pun intended).

There are just some levels of stupid people shouldn't bring themselves down too, just saying.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

OK, but I say you have to listen to more than just professional skeptics to get the full story.  I consider the scientifically controlled experiments done on Jani too for example. 

Fair enough. But I'm pretty sure I remember reading an article by Edamaruku explaining the flaws in at least one "scientific" experiment which was being touted as proof...flaws along the lines of a lack of monitoring of the subject, meaning he could easily slip out to grab food when he felt like it.

In any case, this stuff is old. Here's a link to a radio show from 1997 which featured an interview of the Australian breatharian Jasmuheen. The interviewer, Paul Willis, is a professional scientist and science communicator*, and was able to point out easily testable claims that Jasmuheen was content to dodge: https://www.abc.net.au/science/correx/archives/jasmuheen.htm

* And a good one too. He went on to be a presenter on the ABC TV science shows "Quantum" and "Catalyst". I fondly remember him as the guy who used a barbecued chicken as a prop in a lecture (and slowly ate it in the process) to explain how we know birds are descended from dinosaurs. Anyone who can use the word "furcula" in a sentence is doing all right, as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

You strike me as the type of skeptic that will never call a successful experiment showing something you don't like 'scientific'. The rest of us judge for ourselves.

The problem with this is that Nayak and Edamaruku live in this world - the world of charlatan god-men - and they're aware of the various tricks these people engage in. Whether it's Sai Baba conjuring holy ash (for villagers) or Rollex watches (for politicians) using simple sleight of hand, or statues of Ganesh "drinking" milk, the Indian Skeptics have plenty of experience dealing with god-men whose business model is built around using mundane tricks.

I don't have a problem with people doing magic tricks. But I know it's just tricks even if I don't know how they're done. In the case of the Indian god-men, they also live off their magic but they tell their audiences that it really is magic they're doing. All this does is perpetuate superstition which leaves these people more vulnerable to exploitation. So it's not like it's a victimless crime.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Peter B said:

Fair enough. But I'm pretty sure I remember reading an article by Edamaruku explaining the flaws in at least one "scientific" experiment which was being touted as proof...flaws along the lines of a lack of monitoring of the subject, meaning he could easily slip out to grab food when he felt like it.

I read up a bit on these tests of Jani and don’t believe they were flawed. It is not that hard to monitor for food and eating. 

The professional skeptics must claim fraud and that is what they did. I read the doctor’s rebuttal of the charges of fraud and the charges don’t seem to hold. Judge for yourself. Again, this is not a difficult test to perform.

1 hour ago, papageorge1 said:

I read up a bit on these tests of Jani and don’t believe they were flawed. It is not that hard to monitor for food and eating. 

The professional skeptics must claim fraud and that is what they did. I read the doctor’s rebuttal of the charges of fraud and the charges don’t seem to hold. Judge for yourself. Again, this is not a difficult test to perform.

Well, this article by Sanal Edamaruku suggests that the monitoring wasn't constant:https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/belief/2010/may/18/prahlad-jani-india-sunshine

... I exposed some of those loopholes in a live programme on India TV: an official video clip revealed that Jani would sometimes move out of the CCTV camera's field of view; he was allowed to receive devotees and could even leave the sealed test room for a sun bath...

• Like 2

People die trying these stupid claims. Maybe they are just removing themselves from the gene pool. I don't know.

Regardless, anyone who supports these dangerous and downright stupid practises is a bad person. It's dangerous, idiotic and has killed people. People like Jani who propagate such self serving garbage should be in jail. 

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 5

Everyone had judged in this thread. 

You do not take the rational explanations into account, you use them to gauge how much support to throw behind ridiculous claims. You don't even keep a bet, it's hard to see you being completely honest about anything after that.

There is no good reason to consider Janis claims credible.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Peter B said:

Well, this article by Sanal Edamaruku suggests that the monitoring wasn't constant:https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/belief/2010/may/18/prahlad-jani-india-sunshine

Well without constant monitoring anyone would know the experiment would be useless. Let me explain the lead doctor's qualifications here from Wikipedia:

Sudhir V. Shah is an Indian neurologist, professor and the head of the department of neurology at Smt. NHL Municipal Medical College, Ahmedabad.[1] Holder of an MD in general medicine and a DM in neurology, he is associated with the Neurological Society of India, Indian Academy of Neurology and Association of Physicians of India as a member.

Here is an excerpt from the case summary:

The strict monitoring to ascertain the genuinity of his claim (Not eating anything, not drinking anything, not passing urine and not passing stool) was done by the unbiased august body i.e. Association of Physicians of Ahmedabad, under precise protocol set by the Secretary of the Association, Dr. Urman Dhruv, along with executive committee of the association. The research panel of doctors was headed by Dr. Sudhir V. Shah (Consultant Neurophysician, Sterling Hospital/Associate professor of neurology at K. M. School of PGMR, Ahmedabad). During the project, Dr. Sudhir Shah was in touch with Professor Dr. Selvamurthy frequently who is the over all controller of Defence laboratories including DIPAS (Defence Institute of Physiology and Allied Sciences), New Delhi. He was kind enough to guide the protocol of monitoring as well as further tests for the project. During the study period Mr. Jani was completely monitored by doctors, staff members and security people all throughout the day. He was asked to make an affidavit to undergo the study with clear understanding that if his health or medical parameters deteriorate then panel of doctors will withdraw from the study. He was kept in ICU for 24 hours i.e. 13/11/03 (10:00 AM to 14/11/03 (10:00 AM) and then was kept in a room with glass door .The toilet door was sealed. CCTV camera was set in the room for the rest of the period of study i.e. from 14/11/03 to 22/11/03 (10:00 AM). Medical officers on duty were assigned the job to monitor him. Staff persons were deputed on round the clock duty for 9 days and nights continuously to stay with Mr. Jani in the same room to closely watch him and make sure that he does not eat, drink, pass urine or stool. The video tapes were reviewed for all 24 hours of all these days by committee. Mr. Jani was not allowed to go out of the room except for sonography of bladder and MRI testings, but even during that period, he was all the way accompanied by doctors.He agreed not to take bath or have body sponging for first seven days as decided by the panel.

My honest opinion is that so-called rationalists and skeptics are left with no option but to accuse fraud. I just don't find that attack very believable here.

Edited by papageorge1

2 minutes ago, stereologist said:

Shah is a fraud and a well known fraud in India. His claims to science are no better than the faux claims of papageorge1.

The fact is that Shah's studies are not science. He rejects independent verification of his supposed experiments.

The only fraud claiming to  be a breatherian not shown to be the despicable frauds they are was Jani because he refused to allow anyone but the fraud Shah to examine him.

Jani was allowed to gargle and to bath. His case was a limited time allowing Jani to get by with drinking water from his contacts with water.

Any claims such as you posted by Shah are extremely suspect since he has been shown to be dishonest claiming fake superhuman capabilities by people shown to be frauds.

Funny, just five minutes ago I replied to you on a completely different topic:

Yawn.....isn't that what you say about everyone that has different opinions than you in the paranormal/alien crypto discussion world. So, your condemnation is exactly what I would expect if the guy is on the right track. 

45 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Well without constant monitoring anyone would know the experiment would be useless. Let me explain the lead doctor's qualifications here from Wikipedia:

My honest opinion is that so-called rationalists and skeptics are left with no option but to accuse fraud. I just don't find that attack very believable here.

Your opinion does not factor the very fact that video evidence does not conform the report, it contradicts it. You are taking the word of a person who has expressed great interest and belief in the paranormal.

Quite clearly, that is your motivator, not evidence.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, psyche101 said:

Your opinion does not factor the very fact that video evidence does not conform the report, it contradicts it.

Of course that has to be the claim of the so-called rationalist/skeptics. I would think such a professional team can explain the facts that would clear up the accusations of hoaxing/incompetence. Claims of lying is always the last refuge of the closed-minded skeptic. How many times have we heard that now on how many threads?

Of course that has to be the claim of the so-called rationalist/skeptics. I would think such a professional team can explain the facts that would clear up the accusations of hoaxing/incompetence. Claims of lying is always the last refuge of the closed-minded skeptic. How many times have we heard that now on how many threads?

It is a lie. If people don't eat and drink they will die. It's as simple as that. Others who have been inspired by these predators have died. Their blood is in the hands of people like Jani. Your support of such a disgrace to the species is despicable. 

The video evidence indicated the testers lied about the surveillance. Not considering that is just being a closed minded believer. You cannot explain away the discrepancies. Attacking critical thinkers and welching on bets doesn't change that. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

• The topic was locked