Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
zep73

SnapChat no longer promoting Trump

Recommended Posts

zep73
Posted (edited)

A boomerang is a toy, or a weapon, that comes back to you, when you throw it at something. If you're unprepared it might hit and hurt you.

That's exactly what is happening with Trump and social medias these days. Trump's wish to apply liability to them, is hitting him in the face.

Latest development is Snap, the company behind SnapChat, pulling Trump's content from their Discover feed, due to it being considered "promoting violence".

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/03/technology/snapchat-trump.html

Edited by sci-nerd
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
OverSword

meh.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bison

Good for them! Freedom of Speech is not absolute. The traditional example, about it being both wrong and illegal to shout 'Fire!' in a crowded  theatre, when there isn't one, sees especially apt in this instance.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
aztek

what is snapchat?

  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
zep73
1 minute ago, aztek said:

what is snapchat?

Something the kids love, and dinosaurs, like us, needs to google.

  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spartan max2

Never knew they did political ads.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spartan max2
Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, bison said:

Good for them! Freedom of Speech is not absolute. The traditional example, about it being both wrong and illegal to shout 'Fire!' in a crowded  theatre, when there isn't one, sees especially apt in this instance.

Political ads is the same as shouting fire in a theatre?

Edited by spartan max2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spartan max2
Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, aztek said:

what is snapchat?

It's a app where you send a picture to someone, but the picture dissapears forever after a few seconds. 

And like with everything else you can have stories and filters and junk.

Edited by spartan max2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
zep73
3 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Never knew they did political ads.

Snapchat is a multimedia messaging app developed by Snap Inc., originally Snapchat Inc. One of the principal features of Snapchat is that pictures and messages are usually only available for a short time before they become inaccessible to their recipients. The app has evolved from originally focusing on person-to-person photo sharing to presently featuring users' "Stories" of 24 hours of chronological content, along with "Discover," letting brands show ad-supported short-form content.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snapchat

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bison
15 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Political ads is the same as shouting fire in a theatre?

What SnapChat reportedly found objectionable in Mr. Trump's posts were instances where he misstated matters  of fact, and where he urged others to do violence.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
zep73
20 minutes ago, bison said:

What SnapChat reportedly found objectionable in Mr. Trump's posts were instances where he misstated matters  of fact, and where he urged others to do violence.  

One of the things Trump said was: (about the military being instated) "When the looting starts, the shooting starts" - in a - they'll get what's coming to them - kinda way.
So what he did was glorify a violent response to looting. (not that looting can be defended....)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bison

Yes, looting is theft and is categorically wrong. But as far as I'm aware, looting is not a capital crime. We have begun to see what happens when the police use more than the minimal force needed to maintain order. People lose their lives, who shouldn't have.  

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
and then
5 hours ago, sci-nerd said:

A boomerang is a toy, or a weapon, that comes back to you, when you throw it at something. If you're unprepared it might hit and hurt you.

That's exactly what is happening with Trump and social medias these days. Trump's wish to apply liability to them, is hitting him in the face.

Latest development is Snap, the company behind SnapChat, pulling Trump's content from their Discover feed, due to it being considered "promoting violence".

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/03/technology/snapchat-trump.html

At worst, it will be mutually assured destruction for Twitter.  If Dorsey is willing to burn his own company to spite Trump then let him.  Twitter is a toxic cesspool anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
zep73
2 minutes ago, and then said:

At worst, it will be mutually assured destruction for Twitter.  If Dorsey is willing to burn his own company to spite Trump then let him.  Twitter is a toxic cesspool anyway.

Twitter is not involved in this. The only common denominator is Trump and social media.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
and then
3 hours ago, bison said:

Yes, looting is theft and is categorically wrong. But as far as I'm aware, looting is not a capital crime. We have begun to see what happens when the police use more than the minimal force needed to maintain order. People lose their lives, who shouldn't have.  

Mixed amongst that crowd of thieves are people who are destroying buildings and the infrastructure of an economy.  Increasingly, they are shooting cops.  If thieves have no problem with acting as shields for that kind of crime then they can just take their chances.  We aren't talking about snipers killing shoplifters on an average day.  The other option has been tried.  Pleading incessantly for understanding and patience while basically withholding force so as not to escalate.  I may have missed a location where that worked but I don't think so.  We are seeing a harvest from the Great Society and the trillion or so dollars America has spent to help black Americans whose ancestors suffered the horrors of slavery.  

The Democrat Party owns this love fest and if you don't believe it, have a look at the cities involved.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
and then
2 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

Twitter is not involved in this. The only common denominator is Trump and social media.

Twitter isn't involved?  They were the impetus for the action against social media.  It was Dorsey's choice to begin censoring content, well, TRUMP content.  When he did that he outed himself and the protections that were made in law for sites that share public postings became arguably the same as publishers.  That means they will in fact be able to censor as they see fit but they'll also be open to lawsuits for damages to the reputations of those being slandered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
zep73
5 minutes ago, and then said:

Twitter isn't involved?  They were the impetus for the action against social media.  It was Dorsey's choice to begin censoring content, well, TRUMP content.  When he did that he outed himself and the protections that were made in law for sites that share public postings became arguably the same as publishers.  That means they will in fact be able to censor as they see fit but they'll also be open to lawsuits for damages to the reputations of those being slandered.

You are what we Danes call a "tastatur kriger" -  a keyboard warrior.
I like and respect you, but I must admit that you are a little bit funny, sometimes ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bison
1 hour ago, and then said:

Mixed amongst that crowd of thieves are people who are destroying buildings and the infrastructure of an economy.  Increasingly, they are shooting cops.  If thieves have no problem with acting as shields for that kind of crime then they can just take their chances.  We aren't talking about snipers killing shoplifters on an average day.  The other option has been tried.  Pleading incessantly for understanding and patience while basically withholding force so as not to escalate.  I may have missed a location where that worked but I don't think so.  We are seeing a harvest from the Great Society and the trillion or so dollars America has spent to help black Americans whose ancestors suffered the horrors of slavery.  

The Democrat Party owns this love fest and if you don't believe it, have a look at the cities involved.

Cities that have had, or are having demonstrations over the George Floyd killing, which also happen to have Republican administrations. I list only the largest of these to avoid an overly long list:

SanDiego CA, Fort Worth TX, Oklahoma City OK, Fresno CA, Colorado Springs CO, Miami FL, Tulsa OK, Bakersfield CA, Corpus Christi TX, Scottsdale AZ.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spartan max2
4 minutes ago, bison said:

Cities that have had, or are having demonstrations over the George Floyd killing, which also happen to have Republican administrations. I list only the largest of these to avoid an overly long list:

SanDiego CA, Fort Worth TX, Oklahoma City OK, Fresno CA, Colorado Springs CO, Miami FL, Tulsa OK, Bakersfield CA, Corpus Christi TX, Scottsdale AZ.

There is no way SanDiego is a republican administration lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bison
1 hour ago, and then said:

Mixed amongst that crowd of thieves are people who are destroying buildings and the infrastructure of an economy.  Increasingly, they are shooting cops.  If thieves have no problem with acting as shields for that kind of crime then they can just take their chances.  We aren't talking about snipers killing shoplifters on an average day.  The other option has been tried.  Pleading incessantly for understanding and patience while basically withholding force so as not to escalate.  I may have missed a location where that worked but I don't think so.  We are seeing a harvest from the Great Society and the trillion or so dollars America has spent to help black Americans whose ancestors suffered the horrors of slavery.  

The Democrat Party owns this love fest and if you don't believe it, have a look at the cities involved.

Cities that have had, or are having demonstrations over the George Floyd killing, which also happen to have Republican administrations. I list only the largest of these to avoid an overly long list:

SanDiego CA, Jacksonville FL, Fort Worth TX, Oklahoma City OK, Fresno CA, Colorado Springs CO, Omaha NE, Miami FL, Tulsa OK, Bakersfield CA, Corpus Christi TX, Scottsdale AZ.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bison
10 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

There is no way SanDiego is a republican administration lol.

The mayor of San Diego is Kevin L. Falconer. Please see the linked article below, which confirms that he is a Republican:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Faulconer

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spartan max2
2 minutes ago, bison said:

The mayor of San Diego is Kevin L. Falconer. Please see the linked article below, which confirms that he is a Republican:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Faulconer

I am shocked 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
zep73
20 minutes ago, 19_Kilo said:

Damn...It's hard work being right all the time. LOL. 

(To recap: during our Trump v Twitter thread last week, after the site tagged his tweets with refuting links, I claimed they were embarking on a slippery slope, because, hey, what's next? Banning users they don't like?)

So...yeah, it wasn't Twitter but another social media platform. But just wait and see what happens next.

Cheers!

You're too early claiming anything. Nobody's banned. Just "less promoted". The only one promising fight and consequence is the orange menace.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.