Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UK PM offers refuge to 3 million East Asians

Eldorado

"Today, about 350,000 of the territory’s people hold British National (Overseas) passports and another 2.5 million would be eligible to apply for them. At present, these passports allow visa-free access to the United Kingdom for up to six months.

"If China imposes its national security law, the British government will change our immigration rules and allow any holder of these passports from Hong Kong to come to the UK for a renewable period of 12 months and be given further immigration rights, including the right to work, which could place them on a route to citizenship.

"This would amount to one of the biggest changes in our visa system in history. If it proves necessary, the British government will take this step and take it willingly."

Full script at UK Gov: https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/pm-boris-johnson-article-on-hong-kong-3-june-2020

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

We have not got the space and we have not got the jobs.

It would be madness.

People will not be happy, many have lost their jobs due to the covid pandemic, the last thing this country needs is an influx of people from Asia, or anywhere for that matter.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, freetoroam said:

It would be madness.

Hostage Ransom payment ... 

~

• Thanks 1

surprise surprise China breaking its treaty agreement it signed with the UK and backed under international law.

It now seems that 5G Huawei is likely to be cancelled as the UK seeks partnership with S.Korea or Japanese company to supply 5G.

Also, UK once again prepared to do the right thing, as we're prepared to sacrifice any free trade deal with China.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

François-Philippe Champagne

French Canadian, is he?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eldorado said:

"Today, about 350,000 of the territory’s people hold British National (Overseas) passports and another 2.5 million would be eligible to apply for them. At present, these passports allow visa-free access to the United Kingdom for up to six months.

"If China imposes its national security law, the British government will change our immigration rules and allow any holder of these passports from Hong Kong to come to the UK for a renewable period of 12 months and be given further immigration rights, including the right to work, which could place them on a route to citizenship.

"This would amount to one of the biggest changes in our visa system in history. If it proves necessary, the British government will take this step and take it willingly."

Full script at UK Gov: https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/pm-boris-johnson-article-on-hong-kong-3-june-2020

Too many for us, put them in Singapore as the first safe port of entry.

• Sad 1

Good old King Boris; he'll protect them from living under a dictatorship by inviting them here so they can live under his 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

You're concerned about Hong Kong's autonomy and freedoms, Dominic Raab you stinking old hypocrite? What about our own?

• Like 4

It's fine everyone, he's told the Aussies they have to take them.

• Thanks 2

If we take in 3 million immigrants I will resign my Tory membership.

I want anti-immigration polices, no more than 50,000 year, not open the floodgates.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Dunno... three million IS a lot. But here's the thing; we've accepted 3,000,000+ Pakistanis and Bangladeshis, who have made limited contributions to our society, and - for the most part - have not integrated terribly well. 

3,000,000 Hong Kong Chinese would be a different ball game ! 

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

I cannot see all 3 million wanting to come and I doubt those who do decide to relocate would all turn up in the next few months.

Those who will consider moving are likely to be those that are more economically mobile, ie relatively wealthy, educated and experienced. They will be the top tier of the productive class in Honk Kong, responsible for a disproportionately large percentage of the wealth generated in the region.

This is why China is so upset about the offer by the UK.

For the UK it would be a once in a generation chance to steal a high quality, wealthy and productive set of individuals and plug them into the UK economy. 

• Like 7

This is great.

I wish we would do this in the U.S.

Canada did something similar during the first handoff.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, third_eye said:

Hostage Ransom payment ... 

~

People being allowed to leave the holy mother land of China is evil to you apparently :innocent:.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, spartan max2 said:

People being allowed to leave the holy mother land of China is evil to apparently :innocent:.

Sorry to burst your bubble but these front line "refugees" are fleeing the law fugitives and corrupt officials. 

Just wait till they figure out that they won't be welcomed with open arms when they show up without their ill-gotten wealth and expects their new land of freedom to fund their lives...

~

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, third_eye said:

Sorry to burst your bubble but these front line "refugees" are fleeing the law fugitives and corrupt officials. 

Just wait till they figure out that they won't be welcomed with open arms when they show up without their ill-gotten wealth and expects their new land of freedom to fund their lives...

~

About what I expected you to say. All who question China is evil :innocent:.

Even those who simply want to leave to preserve their human rights. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, spartan max2 said:

About what I expected you to say. All who question China is evil :innocent:.

Even those who simply want to leave to preserve their human rights. 

Who do you think has those dodgy BNO documents and who do think can afford to get them? 

You really believe anybody in Hong Kong can just walk up to the British high commission and get one just because they want one?

Fact is, you might as well get in your Captain America of freedom costume and go rescue Bugs Bunny from Elmer there, cowboy... 

:lol:

Just giving you the facts... 

~

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, third_eye said:

Who do you think has those dodgy BNO documents and who do think can afford to get them? 

You really believe anybody in Hong Kong can just walk up to the British high commission and get one just because they want one?

Fact is, you might as well get in your Captain America of freedom costume and go rescue Bugs Bunny from Elmer there, cowboy... 

:lol:

Just giving you the facts... 

~

Did I say anything about how easy it is to immigrate from the other side of the world? Nope.

Just that the U.K is doing the right thing and that I don't blame any HongKongers for wanting to leave the control of the CCP.

You on the other hand think anyone that dissents from China is a criminal. 

It's pretty sad. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Did I say anything about how easy it is to immigrate from the other side of the world? Nope.

Then what's your point, sorry but not sorry? 

~

Just that the U.K is doing the right thing and that I don't blame any HongKongers for wanting to leave the control of the CCP.

Like I mentioned, that's not the reason, it's criminal fugitives fleeing from the law. 

~

You on the other hand think anyone that dissents from China is a criminal. 

Only when they are criminals... Tigers or flies... 

~

It's pretty sad. 

Crocodile tears... 

~

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Eldorado said:

Hey thats pretty cool, Hong Kong has always been a British territory until a few years back. That's great, but I can already can see the push back to that decision by the comments here on the form. At least the Leaders of the UK are much more human than the idiot we have in the White House.

Peace and Cheers

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

Hey thats pretty cool, Hong Kong has always been a British territory until a few years back. That's great, but I can already can see the push back to that decision by the comments here on the form. At least the Leaders of the UK are much more human than the idiot we have in the White House.

Peace and Cheers

Trump should a hundred percent follow suite. Since he signed off on the other Hong Kong bills it would only be right .

But sadly I don't know if he will. 

Also from my expierence UM is never very indicative of public opinion.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 3

The fact of the matter remains the same... 

While the announcements from the British authorities have given hope for a path to British citizenship, critics have said Britain’s offer is a political move without significant implications. Lau Siu-kai, vice-president of the Chinese Association of Hong Kong and Macau Studies, said since those with BN(O) status were born before 1997, Britain did not have plans to assist most of the younger generation who made up most of those involved in the protests.

“The intention of this statement is not to encourage people in Hong Kong to leave and relocate to the UK, but to reassure them that they are not alone and the UK is serious about its obligations to them under the Sino-British Joint Declaration,” he told the Post.

https://amp.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/politics/article/3087454/what-bno-passport-who-hong-kong-eligible-and-how-will

~

It's just another dog and pony show... but no dogs or Chinese allowed 

Anon1210651188-ChineseAndDogsAreNotAllow

~

Edited by third_eye
Accentuate
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, stevewinn said:

surprise surprise China breaking its treaty agreement it signed with the UK and backed under international law.

It now seems that 5G Huawei is likely to be cancelled as the UK seeks partnership with S.Korea or Japanese company to supply 5G.

Also, UK once again prepared to do the right thing, as we're prepared to sacrifice any free trade deal with China.

Below is about the most foolish comment I have heard all day, but let me help you out here Huawei, supplies the 5G for South Korea and Japan, check things out before you post comments like those bolded below::td:

Peace

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

Below is about the most foolish comment I have heard all day, but let me help you out here Huawei, supplies the 5G for South Korea and Japan, check things out before you post comments like those bolded below::td:

Peace

Looks like the U.K is trying to use companies from South Korea or Japan as alternatives to Huawei for 5G networks.

British officials have discussed supplies of 5G networking equipment with companies in South Korea and Japan as part of a bid to develop alternatives to China's Huawei Technologies Co Ltd, a person with knowledge of the matter told Reuters.

https://mobile-reuters-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN23A3CY?amp_js_v=a3&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA%3D#aoh=15912810850906&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.reuters.com%2Farticle%2Fus-britain-huawei-tech-idUSKBN23A3CY

Also what is wrong with not wanting to use Huawei? If other nations want to use them then that's their propagative. But I do not see why we should.

It would be a security risk when we could easily give the business to companies in nation's that have the same values. 

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 4