Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UK PM offers refuge to 3 million East Asians

Eldorado

Boris said we will take 3 million Hong Kong Chinese knowing that China wouldnt allow it.

To collect the immigrant vote.

33 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

Boris said we will take 3 million Hong Kong Chinese knowing that China wouldnt allow it.

30,000 have applied I believe. 

17 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

Its not many, and I think China will still block them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cookie Monster said:

Or it's because of the UKs history with Hong Kong. 

1 hour ago, stevewinn said:

Pretty contrary to Cookies earlier fear mongering.:whistle:

His statement on page one 

If we take in 3 million immigrants I will resign my Tory membership.

I want anti-immigration polices, no more than 50,000 year, not open the floodgates.

2 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Pretty contrary to Cookies earlier fear mongering.:whistle:

His statement on page one 

Yes, my view is mass immigration is going to far.

I believe in a points based system keeping it down to 50,000 per year. The only time it should go above that is when there is a major war happening on our doorstep generating large numbers of refugees.

I have a friend from Hong Kong. His fathers is English, his mother is Chinese, and we went back when Hong Kong was handed over to China. He is a very intelligent guy with a degree to his name (which he got here). If he wanted to come back, thats the sort of immigrant which benefits our country. A high skilled one. And as he is half English he already has citizenship of both countries.

What I dont agree with is working class immigrants, the ones that belong to the Upper Echelons of society are great. They have skills we actually need, rather than just becoming another shelf stacker, stamp licker, or customer services drone. The figure of 3,000,000 people includes all walks of life. In practice half of them probably want to stay because whether we like it or not they are Chinese. Then from the remaining 1,500,000 most of them will be working class. Maybe 250,000 have decent skills, but we dont have all skill gaps in this country. So we should pick and choose.

• Like 1

Mass exodus could shape futures of both Hong Kong and U.K.

The U.K. expects some 322,000 Hong Kong residents who hold special passports created before the city’s return to Chinese rule in 1997 to take advantage of the new pathway to citizenship over the next five years.

The departure could result in a capital outflow(to the UK) of HK$280 billion ($36 billion), according to a Bank of America report published earlier this month. The projected number of immigrants would be almost as large as the population of Belfast.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-01-29/why-enough-hong-kongers-to-fill-belfast-may-flee-to-the-u-k

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

I believe in a points based system keeping it down to 50,000 per year. The only time it should go above that is when there is a major war happening on our doorstep generating large numbers of refugees.

I have a friend from Hong Kong. His fathers is English, his mother is Chinese, and we went back when Hong Kong was handed over to China. He is a very intelligent guy with a degree to his name (which he got here). If he wanted to come back, thats the sort of immigrant which benefits our country. A high skilled one. And as he is half English he already has citizenship of both countries.

What I dont agree with is working class immigrants, the ones that belong to the Upper Echelons of society are great. They have skills we actually need, rather than just becoming another shelf stacker, stamp licker, or customer services drone. The figure of 3,000,000 people includes all walks of life. In practice half of them probably want to stay because whether we like it or not they are Chinese. Then from the remaining 1,500,000 most of them will be working class. Maybe 250,000 have decent skills, but we dont have all skill gaps in this country. So we should pick and choose.

50,000 immigration figure was last seen in the UK in 1998. 

The population of the United Kingdom has increased by almost a quarter (23.6%) since 1968.

3 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

Sure but the people coming from Hong Kong are pretty educated with strong democratic beliefs. So why would you be against them coming?

• 3 weeks later...

Hong Kong citizens arriving in the UK under the British National Overseas (BNO) Passport scheme will receive a £43m support package to help them settle, Communities Secretary Robert Jenrick has said.

https://news.sky.com/story/hong-kong-citizens-to-be-given-43m-package-to-help-settle-in-uk-12268948

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-04-07/hong-kong-families-moving-to-uk-to-benefit-from-43m-support-package