Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UFO 12 03 2015 at 12 20 pm

johncbdg

Could you please explain what about this 4:19 video suggests it's a UFO and not, say, a plane flying across the sky?

Thank you.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

20 hours ago, Peter B said:

Could you please explain what about this 4:19 video suggests it's a UFO and not, say, a plane flying across the sky?

Thank you.

The reason its a UFO is because its to far away to be identified.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

20 hours ago, Peter B said:

Thank you.

Also a history of posting horrible videos from his own YT channel. Has been told to keep it to other threads in the past.

Edited by Timothy
Reported.
  • Thanks 2

Hey john,

If you want a serious analysis of your videos i suggest you invest in a tripod of some variety and a better camera.

45 minutes ago, Hazzard said:

The reason its a UFO is because its to far away to be identified.

^^^^

It's hard to identify anything, even what i assume are clouds. I'm open minded but such poor quality videos/pictures just muddy the water and don't help the cause.

Good luck :tsu:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Any readers who, after reading the above, still think this is worth their time... should read the poster's previous 'work'.  He's been told numerous times to upgrade his equipment, and to use some very simple methods to improve the dreck he posts.  Doesn't listen, doesn't care.

And using IR?  Daft - unless of course you want to further obscure the item you are filming...

• Thanks 4

• 2 months later...
On 6/4/2020 at 2:35 PM, Peter B said:

Thank you.

Look this is how it is done, every thing was looked in to wind, direction of flight and any man made crafts flight paths that where in the skies at time and date what was left was and get this a UFO..

John again, just in with vid #14547. Into "UFO research" for, at least, 14 years now but still using a 0,0004MP potato, still rejecting a tripod,  FlightRadar24 and STELLARIUM.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Why can't people hold a camera steady when Bigfoot, cryptids, UFO, ghost etc.. are involved? Is there some unwritten rule I am missing here?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, South Alabam said:

Why can't people hold a camera steady when Bigfoot, cryptids, UFO, ghost etc.. are involved? Is there some unwritten rule I am missing here?

No, you aren't missing anything at all.  As I have stated numerous times to this 'true believer', and HE WILL NOT LISTEN, there are some incredibly simple ways to improve this sort of rubbish imagery (of an aircraft..).

Even with the worst quality phone, you can easily lean against something..  And that's just one of many things - I won't waste my time listing them here as he clearly *wants* bad imagery so that there's a 'mystery' and it can't be easily identified...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, johncbdg said:

Look this is how it is done, every thing was looked in to wind, direction of flight and any man made crafts flight paths that where in the skies at time and date what was left was and get this a UFO..

Cool. Where is this information? Can we check it for ourselves? What was the camera's location? What direction was it facing? What was the elevation above the horizon?

Cheers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, South Alabam said:

Fear

• Like 1

14 hours ago, johncbdg said:

I think it's time for you to put up, John.  So, on the topics that you say you checked, please provide the details.  Being a 'pro' at UFOlogy, you would have kept diary notes - alternatively, you can elaborate below...  Show your work, please John.

1. Wind
What aspects of the wind were you looking at, and why?  How did you get this info?  At what altitudes?  And how did you know/estimate the altitude of the object?

2. Direction of Flight
How did you determine this, and what was your error range?  As Peter said, where was the camera (a 1mile or 1.6km radius would be near enough, so feel free to give a slightly false address)

3. 'Man Made Crafts Flight Plans'
What source of information did you use, and how did you use it?  What delay time applies (if you've done this before you will know what I mean)?  Are the dates and times on the video correct?

and finally and perhaps most importantly.....

4. What does the term UFO mean to you, John?
Is it simply something in the sky you didn't manage to identify?  I see lots of those as I drive home each evening - can't be bothered looking them up.  And that's even in the time of Covid restrictions - there is still plenty air traffic.

So, do elaborate John.  If you don't, I will ... and besides, people will learn stuff - better if it comes from your 'pro' standpoint than my lousy amateur attempts, right?  And you'll prove your expertise if you beat me to it...............

• Thanks 3

On 8/10/2020 at 5:27 PM, South Alabam said:

It is really quite simple, there are clear, non-shaky pictures and videos out here, it's just that the flying objects then become known, and the cryptids are no longer unexplained. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gaden said:

It is really quite simple, there are clear, non-shaky pictures and videos out here, it's just that the flying objects then become known, and the cryptids are no longer unexplained. 

Good answer. It is just in my experience it isn't that hard to hold a camera steady even on moving objects far away.

55 minutes ago, South Alabam said:

Good answer. It is just in my experience it isn't that hard to hold a camera steady even on moving objects far away.

You are an exceptional human in that regard

4 hours ago, South Alabam said:

you need wobble & bad quality if you don't want folk to see what it really is

• Like 5

On 8/11/2020 at 1:42 PM, Peter B said:

Cool. Where is this information? Can we check it for ourselves? What was the camera's location? What direction was it facing? What was the elevation above the horizon?

Cheers.

Some bloke proposed a Golden Duck Standard using mobile apps to give vector information in this very forum.

Edited by Golden Duck

On 8/11/2020 at 4:59 PM, ChrLzs said:
On 8/11/2020 at 2:03 AM, johncbdg said:

I think it's time for you to put up, John.  So, on the topics that you say you checked, please provide the details.  Being a 'pro' at UFOlogy, you would have kept diary notes - alternatively, you can elaborate below...  Show your work, please John.

1. Wind
What aspects of the wind were you looking at, and why?

Johncbdg, where did you go?

It's already a couple of days - surely you want your opportunity to be first to explain your technique and choices of equipment?  It would embarrassing if I have to do it, and of course I'll probably make some hideous errors... :D .... although ... I will actually be doing a couple of new videos to demonstrate how someone who is serious about photographing UFO's can use their mobile phones as best as can be, and also what can be done with a relatively inexpensive decent camera, and some really basic techniques... 

BTW, I confess I'm still puzzled about why John thinks that Wind should be listed first in the things he 'analysed'...  I'm really looking forward to learning why it was important in this case, and also how he got the altitude of the wind at the level of the UFO...  That really takes a lot of talent and I'm sooooo eager to learn...

Ah well, I'll be patient, I'll give him a coupla more days...

(apologies to Con the Fruiterer..)

Edited by ChrLzs
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/13/2020 at 10:42 PM, ChrLzs said:

Johncbdg, where did you go?

Oh well, johncbdg has obviously decided not to share all his tips and techniques (despite claiming to be an avid and experienced photographer of UFO's..)  That claim is, of course, completely belied and utterly refuted by the garbage videos he posts - just check the one he posted here, and his history (or YT channel)...

OK, so how can you get decent video/images of things in the sky?

First up, it's fair to say that the better (and bigger) is your equipment, the better the results will be.  Typical phone cameras are not very good at distant and/or poorly lit things, which is most UFO's...

But if that's all you have, then here is what you can do (important bits bolded):

1. Keep the thing steady!!! There will almost always be something nearby, eg a fence or wall, a post or pole or tree, your car..  If not, then sit down and use your knees as a support.  Hold the camera firmly either against the steadying object, or your hand while it is pressed against that object.
2. Know your equipment.  Play with your camera and its settings and test it on passing aircraft.  Specifically, read on..
3. If your camera has digital zoom, TURN IT OFF.  Digital zoom may make things bigger, but in doing so it reduces real detail by adding faked detail.  For detailed work, OPTICAL zoom is the only type you should use.
4. If your camera has 'Infinity focus" - turn it ON. Sometimes cameras have a 'landscape' mode that does exactly that.  Autofocus is generally a bad thing as it needs a reasonable sized object to 'lock'.
5. If your camera has "Image Stabilising" or IS, turn it ON.  That will help steadiness.  Exception - if you are using a tripod, IS may actually not help - check your manual.
6. Keep filming!!!  Don't stop before it disappears, as that will suggest you didn't want to show how it landed at the airport...
7. If you have time, slowly pan across or zoom back to include background objects, eg the horizon, trees, mountains, buildings, then slowly zoom/pan back to the object.  (That's OPTICAL zoom only, remember!)
8. Don't use 'gimmicks' unless you have a good reason.  In this example, why on earth use IR mode?  Optical mode is far better for getting a true to life, true colour and detailed image.  IR is usually black and white, and is really only useful to track warm/hot objects in darkness.  Plus, it gives a weird look to your images - I guess that's great if you want to impress the gullible..

Which leads me to the topic of using better equipment...
Why the hell would you buy an IR or nightvision camera, instead of simply getting a better (and probably cheaper) normal optical camera?  For a pittance these days you can pick up a really good compact zoom camera, like the outstanding Sony DSC-W830 with its 8x optical zoom, 20Mp sensor, IS - it's only about US$220..

Or if you are old-school like me, a DSLR will set you back a few hundred bucks, but will allow you to have access to a large range of interchangable lenses including long telephotos, plus it will have a big sensor - big sensors mean much better low-light performance.

Anyway, that's all I have time for right now, later I'll try to get back and add in a few videos to show some examples and comparisons, between good and bad techniques and equipment...

Perhaps johncbdg might like to return for comment, and explain why he doesn't use any of the above techniques...

• Thanks 1

Haven't had time for those videos yet (and dang, there's not a lot of aircraft around..) but in the meantime...

Here's a shot from an old, small compact camera, in video mode, at about 10x (optical) zoom.  The shape of the plane was not really obvious to the naked eye:
1069878627_00050aircraft.jpg.86e9f5957b5d1fdd0e40a2cfd864dd57.jpg
My working title for that shot is "God About to Eat a Plane".

In contrast, here's a very wide angle shot of the night sky using a low-cost 'Samyang' 8mm fisheye lens on my Sony a57 DSLR:
180degreeviewtesta.jpg.e969c33efbddac5f9eeea6b9b2da80c4.jpg
If you look closely you'll see a short straight streak at left of centre, up a bit near the very bright star trail.  That streak is my successful capture of a passing Iridium satellite, flaring.  At the time my camera was resting on the roof of my car.... 

I'll show some more imagery later, using a very different (but still quite low cost) telephoto zoom lens on my a57.  There are lots of examples of this kinda work, from equally keen photographers and astronomers.  People who KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING, and who very rarely see stuff they can't identify quite easily, simply by virtue of the fact that they know their equipment and how to use it, and also know what kind of things may be found in the sky... 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1