Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Study: Narcassist are more politically active

spartan max2

Saw this study pop up conducted in U.S and Denmark.

All I can conclude from this is that UM is full of narcassist :rofl: lol (like me apparently). 

Relying on three studies in the United States and Denmark, two nationally representative, we find that those scoring higher in narcissism, as measured by the Narcissistic Personality Inventory–40 (NPI-40), participate more in politics, including contacting politicians, signing petitions, joining demonstrations, donating money, and voting in midterm elections

Apparently the higher you score on self sufficiency the less you participate lol 

Superiority and Authority/Leadership were positively related to participation, while Self Sufficiency was negatively related to participation. In addition, the combined Entitlement/Exploitativeness factor was negatively related to turnout, but only in midterm elections.

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0146167220919212?journalCode=pspc&

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, XenoFish said:

That explains a lot of what I've seen around here.

The narcassism didn't surprise me but the correlation with self sufficiency did.

I guess it just goes to show that most people just want to live their lives.

• Like 3

Just now, spartan max2 said:

I know I do. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, spartan max2 said:

All I can conclude from this is that UM is full of narcassist :rofl: lol (like me apparently). 

I'm not sure that discussing/arguing politics is the same as being politically active.  It's the people that run for office, work on a campaign, are out there getting signatures on the street that are actually politically active.  Personally I'll argue about anything because that's how I figure out what I really think.  Don't get me wrong, I'm also a little narcissistic B) 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, OverSword said:

I'm not sure that discussing/arguing politics is the same as being politically active.  It's the people that run for office, work on a campaign, are out there getting signatures on the street that are actually politically active.  Personally I'll argue about anything because that's how I figure out what I really think.  Don't get me wrong, I'm also a little narcissistic B) 

I think everyone is to a degree. But reading some of the post in the politics section. I swear that some of it looks like propaganda. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, OverSword said:

I personally think arguing is a great way to learn things.

It's ashame so many people have their egos attached to their arguments so they take things personal.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 3

Just now, spartan max2 said:

It's ashame so many people have their egos attached to arguments so they take things personal.

That's because your wrong, I know you're wrong, you can't see how wrong you are. So you need to accept just how right I am. You got that!!!!!:lol:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

It's ashame so many people have their egos attached to their arguments so they take things personal.

Yeah.  I can't think of anyone on UM like that :rolleyes:

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, 19_Kilo said:

File this news flash under "D" for "Duh."

I mean, really: would you ever think that political and public figure types would score LOWER on the Narcissist test than the average? How in the world would that make sense? Narcissism is just a couple clicks past egocentric and arrogant, and those two traits are pretty much required in politics.

So you're saying those who are politically active, including the general public are in fact a bunch of narcissist?!?

29 minutes ago, 19_Kilo said:

No I'm not. Just that those types are likely gonna score a bit higher on the test than a sampling from the general public. But I will say that it's likely that we might find a higher percentage of clinical NPD among politicos,  lawyers, cops, actors, and military officers than in most other occupations.

I will also say that I have always felt NPD to be an egregiously over-diagnosed mental disease. Right up there with bipolar disorder and ADD. (If memory serves we had a thread on all that last month.)

I think you misunderstand the OP.

This study is of the general public lol.

It's says the more politically active a person is the higher they scored on narcassism. 

So I've been joking that explains UM's politics section :lol: lol

Edited by spartan max2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

The narcassism didn't surprise me but the correlation with self sufficiency did.

A Narcissistic Defence Against Affects and the Illusion of Self-Sufficiency

@spartan max2  This precocious sense of self leading to an illusion of self-sufficiency may also be found in other disorders, including the borderline patient, but the borderline patient, in contrast, suffers from a failure of internalization which leads to object hunger in contrast to the denial of object need of the narcissistic disorder. It appears that environmental trauma may contribute to narcissistic disorders is less severe as compared to the borderline states which may consist of the mother's failure to accept the child's separateness and autonomy, resulting in a fear of the mother's intrusiveness. The fear of the maternal object's intrusiveness contributes to the relative inability to form a therapeutic alliance in the psychoanalysis of narcissistic character disorders. The analyst's interpretations are experienced as dangerous, not necessarily because of their content but due to the fear of the analyst's intrusive influence. 

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/1236838/

Peace

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, 19_Kilo said:

No I'm not. Just that those types are likely gonna score a bit higher on the test than a sampling from the general public. But I will say that it's likely that we might find a higher percentage of clinical NPD among politicos,  lawyers, cops, actors, and military officers than in most other occupations.

I will also say that I have always felt NPD to be an egregiously over-diagnosed mental disease. Right up there with bipolar disorder and ADD. (If memory serves we had a thread on all that last month.)

NPD is 5% of the population unless you live in the US/UK/Germany where due to our cultural values there is also `cultural narcissism` taking it up to 15%. Its an identity disorder where the person cannot cope unless they are perfect, and you can spot it fairly accurately from someone`s appearance.

Is their appearance immaculate? Do they spend a lot of energy on their appearance? Do they need to be good looking? Do they need to maintain a perfect physique? Barbie and Ken could be considered to have a classic narcissistic appearance.

The narc can also take different routes to perfection when they arent that good looking. From being intellectually gifted, to becoming a notorious criminal, to being a pillar of society, to becoming a leader.

Tell me something I don't know? Obviously, many presidents are narcissistic, including our current one. I don't mind in the least and am a believer that it helps. In fact, if Trump weren't such a major narcissist, he'd be a basket case, considering all the attacks he's endured from Democrats and MSM.

14 minutes ago, jbondo said:

Tell me something I don't know? Obviously, many presidents are narcissistic, including our current one. I don't mind in the least and am a believer that it helps. In fact, if Trump weren't such a major narcissist, he'd be a basket case, considering all the attacks he's endured from Democrats and MSM.

This study is about the general population and being politically active. 

The study isn't off politicans. 

That's why it's interesting, to me at least.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 1

On 6/11/2020 at 10:46 AM, spartan max2 said:

This study is about the general population and being politically active. 

The study isn't off politicans. 

That's why it's interesting, to me at least.

I realize that, but I know most can see narcissism clearly defined by watching a national leader/president. That's why I made reference to our US presidents and also that in some cases it's actually beneficial. Having a clear example is often better than a study, article, or definition.