Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Thousands turn out for UK anti-racism protest

itsnotoutthere

I bet Dominic Cummings is laughing because his minor breach of the lockdown rules and the media onslaught that followed really pales in comparison with the mass outdoor protests across the UK which basically give the two finger salute to the rules and the NHS especially as black citizens are twice more likely to die from it.  They have put more people at risk because of their mass gatherings.  Remember when Pierce Corybn was arrested in Hyde Park for breaching the rules.  They should overturn his conviction because it means nothing if mass protests are allowed without mass arrests.  I can understand the need to protest, but why pick the worst possible time to do it?  The sad irony is that George Floyd was not exactly a good guy because of his criminal record and I read that he even pointed a gun at a pregnant woman and robbed her.  Turning him into a heroic martyre is really not the correct way to protest for civil rights because not many people are going to sympathise and when they see people chanting 'black lives matter' they are going to subconsciously think of his criminal record and have second thoughts about being associated with a group that honours criminals.  His death was tragic and the officers who were asked to use extreme caution had mishandled the situation and should be held to account with better training provided, but blaming his death on a systemic racial prejudice across the UK during a time of crisis is not exactly the right move.

Edited by Aaron2017
  • Like 7

8 minutes ago, Aaron2017 said:

I bet Dominic Cummings is laughing because his minor breach of the lockdown rules and the media onslaught that followed really pales in comparison with the mass outdoor protests across the UK which basically give the two finger salute to the rules and the NHS especially as black citizens are twice more likely to die from it.  They have put more people at risk because of their mass gatherings.  Remember when Pierce Corybn was arrested in Hyde Park for breaching the rules.  They should overturn his conviction because it means nothing if mass protests are allowed without mass arrests.  I can understand the need to protest, but why pick the worst possible time to do it?  The sad irony is that George Floyd was not exactly a good guy because of his criminal record and I read that he even pointed a gun at a pregnant woman and robbed her.  Turning him into a heroic martyre is really not the correct way to protest for civil rights because not many people are going to sympathise and when they see people chanting 'black lives matter' they are going to subconsciously think of his criminal record and have second thoughts about being associated with a group that honours criminals.  His death was tragic and the officers who were asked to use extreme caution had mishandled the situation and should be held to account with better training provided, but blaming his death on a systemic racial prejudice across the UK during a time of crisis is not exactly the right move.

You mention a good point there actually. I wonder if this will be taken into account when they investigate why BAME people are more susceptible to Covid.?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Aaron2017 said:

Remember when Pierce Corybn was arrested in Hyde Park for breaching the rules.  They should overturn his conviction because it means nothing if mass protests are allowed without mass arrests.

good point

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Aaron2017 said:

The media would have you believe he was St George, he broke into that pregnant woman house and held a gun to her belly, i no longer give a 5hit about George.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Aaron2017 said:

but blaming his death on a systemic racial prejudice across the UK during a time of crisis is not exactly the right move.

I agree with all you put, but what systemic racial prejudice do we have in the UK which is relevant to black lives matter only? 

A problem we have in the uk are black on black gangs and blacks against other cultures and Visa versa, the real racism is amongt other cultures within our ever growing multicultural society,. We have a long way to go before we see this multicultural society living together in harmony.

This is turning into a criminals paradise, if they can use the racist card to get off with a crime, they will, the last thing we want is the public to encourage this and these protests here in the UK are doing just that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Aaron2017 said:

The sad irony is that George Floyd was not exactly a good guy because of his criminal record and I read that he even pointed a gun at a pregnant woman and robbed her.

If true this is shocking. Suppose she did not matter as she was a woman, was she black too?

Does it make it ok in the eyes of black people for a black man to rob a defenceless pregnant woman, seems so? And we have people protesting and making this guy to be some kind of legend!!

He should not have died the way he did, but like the ex-cop who should not have been allowed back on the streets with all those complaints against him, George Floyd should have been in prison for years for that crime.

Our justice system is too soft and ALL police officers should wear a camera in future. The camera should be the evidence needed if a complaint is made and to show the world what really hapoened. Wonder how many police will think twice about being brutal if they have a camera on them?

If the camera evidence goes missing, then the officer should be instantly suspended or sacked.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, hetrodoxly said:

What do black people in the UK want?

I don't really know, but I suspect if they got it, they'd want something else tomorrow.

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 4

I wonder what the media reaction will be when shops are looted and burnt? Think it's bound to happen.

• Like 2

When it comes to crime statistics in the US then black people make up 12% of the population but commit about half of the murders: https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck/factcheck-black-americans-commit-crime

Here in the UK two thirds of our knife crimes are committed by ethnic youth https://fullfact.org/crime/are-majority-youth-knife-offenders-minority-ethnic/. About 10% of our population are ethnic minorities.

So when black people complain about being stopped and searched more then what do they expect? It isn't racism at all, its just he police doing their jobs. As for Mr George Floyd while his death is tragic, lets not forget if he wasn't out committing crime he would never have had police trying to detain him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

When it comes to crime statistics in the US then black people make up 12% of the population but commit about half of the murders: https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck/factcheck-black-americans-commit-crime

Here in the UK two thirds of our knife crimes are committed by ethnic youth https://fullfact.org/crime/are-majority-youth-knife-offenders-minority-ethnic/. About 10% of our population are ethnic minorities.

So when black people complain about being stopped and searched more then what do they expect? It isn't racism at all, its just he police doing their jobs. As for Mr George Floyd while his death is tragic, lets not forget if he wasn't out committing crime he would never have had police trying to detain him.

Similar to the troubles here in Northern Ireland.  The police searched Catholic homes because they lived in a community that was densely populated by members of the IRA.  Just as gang communities in Chicago are treated with extreme caution by American police.  Yet the myth that the police are targeting specific religious and racial groups because of alleged systemic prejudice is being continually pushed and promoted by the media.

Edited by Aaron2017
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

36846.jpeg.619408a8c72122de6a1d9d0e8c7027a6.jpeg

• Like 4

21 hours ago, hetrodoxly said:

What do black people in the UK want?

Same thing as everyone else?

20 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

Same thing as everyone else?

What don't they get in the UK that white people do?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, hetrodoxly said:

What don't they get in the UK that white people do?

I suppose you didn't listen to the song?

:hmm:

12 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

I suppose you didn't listen to the song?

:hmm:

I might be able to do a few but not all of them.

Most are there to cause trouble regardless. Police are frightened to act. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Aaron2017 said:

120 year old statue of slave trader pulled down by protesters in Bristol.

Moment BLM protesters in Bristol, UK pull down a statue of slave ...

….and dumped into the sea.

Bristol | Template - News, Current Affairs and Sport Website

https://news.sky.com/story/george-floyd-protests-toppling-of-bristol-slave-trader-statue-disgraceful-says-home-secretary-12002492

Many of their faces can be clearly seen and it should be easy to identify them, they should be made to pay for the statue to be rescued from the dock and repaired or a new one cast, i hope it bankrupts them.

• Like 5

Foreign video that probably won't make it to the UK MSM, many here can clearly be identified.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, fran123 said:

I wonder what the media reaction will be when shops are looted and burnt? Think it's bound to happen.

It's usually some variation on: We need to understand their pain and anger and allow them to validate their feelings.  Then, there are the troglodytes who guard their property with armed force :tu:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, acidhead said:

Diversity is our strength myth

Firearms proficiency is our strength.  Violent thugs respect it, or they are taught better.

Edited by and then