Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Toto

When I was a teenager (1987-88) I had a brief period where I loved Toto. I used to bring my boombox (we called them ghettoblasters) to the shower, and become a wet rock star for 10-20 minutes. Happy days.

Toto is probably the band in the world who's had most lead singers, yet they all sound surprisingly alike. They've also accomplished to make a long line of small hits, without ever really blasting the charts. Except maybe the Africa song. But that one is not among my favorites.

These are:

Hold the Line

Rosanna

Stop Loving You

Pamela

What's with all the girl's names? :D

Do you have any favorite Toto song(s)?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Right on!  Gotta love pop music.  Pop rock.  Interestingly, a friend of mine saw them in concert and said they actually play really loud.

I’m listening to Billy Squire right now, but I just finished a Loverboy set lol.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

.......and Rosanna. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Africa. Their polish tour dvd is brilliant. Bass Nathen East. Drummer Simon Philips. And composer John Williams son Joseph on vocals. 

Watch this, bloody awesome. 35 years and can pull this off. Wah. 

Rosanna. 

Drum cover by a lad called Colm. 

Edited by stevewinn
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

Except maybe the Africa song. But that one is not among my favorites.

I rather like Africa (except for the line, "Sure as Kilimanjaro rises like Olympus above the Serengeti", it doesn't scan and it really grates on me every time I hear it).

I liked the song when it was released, but in 2003 I went on a safari and experience the rains down in Africa, now it's a song that brings back good memories.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

Do you have any favorite Toto song(s)?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

I rather like Africa (except for the line, "Sure as Kilimanjaro rises like Olympus above the Serengeti", it doesn't scan and it really grates on me every time I hear it).

I liked the song when it was released, but in 2003 I went on a safari and experience the rains down in Africa, now it's a song that brings back good memories.

I've always been a sucker for the overlooked songs. I was once a huge Led Zeppelin fan, but never considered Stairway to Heaven a great song. It was a song for the masses.
I can probably name 50 Led Zeppelin songs I love and adore, and Stairway isn't among them.

I don't know why I feel that way. Maybe it's because I prefer the unique, or because the big ones are over exposed?

Edited by sci-nerd
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

I've always been a sucker for the overlooked songs. I was once a huge Led Zeppelin fan, but never considered Stairway to Heaven a great song.

I know what you mean. I'm a huge Queen fan but I think Bohemian Rhapsody is far from their best track.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

I know what you mean. I'm a huge Queen fan but I think Bohemian Rhapsody is far from their best track.

Exactly. Love Queen! We Will Rock You is frustratingly short. It just gets started, and then it's over. That song should be at least 3½ minutes long.

• Like 1

Of all of Toto's music, Africa is my favorite.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, I thought that this topic is about Italian comedian Totò. :D

Would recommend him anyway.

• Haha 2

Hold the Line is their best song in my opinion.

Steve Lucather (founding member of Toto and member all the way) played with Ringo Starr's All Star Band.   He was very good and played 4 Toto songs. 

• Like 1