Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Tribute to a English Rock Band Pink Floyd

Grim Reaper 6

Harte

Edited by Harte
  • Like 2

Been spending a lot of time with this From The under mentioned Album...

"The endless River "

[00.06:37]

Louder than words 

~

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, third_eye said:

Been spending a lot of time with this From The under mentioned Album...

"The endless River "

Louder than words 

~

That is a great album and also a very good song man, I also certainly enjoy listening to it. Here is on of my favorite Songs by Pink Floyd - Shine On You Crazy Diamond.

Peace

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

Here is on of my favorite Songs by Pink Floyd - Shine On You Crazy Diamond.

It's one of many that is always mentioned consistently over the decades, even here on UM... 

We knows our Pink Floyd here, we do... 

~

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, third_eye said:

It's one of many that is always mentioned consistently over the decades, even here on UM... 

We knows our Pink Floyd here, we do... 

~

Yes I can certainly tell that you do, I personally saw them in concert 2 times during the 1970's when I was living in St. Louis, Missouri. So I also have been following their music for a very long time, and one thing I can say it never gets old. 

Peace

• Thanks 1

Dame Vera Margaret Lynn CH DBE OStJ (née Welch; born 20 March 1917)[1] is a British singer of traditional popular music, songwriter and actress, whose musical recordings and performances were enormously popular during the Second World War.

She is widely known as "the Forces' Sweetheart", and gave outdoor concerts for the troops in Egypt, India, and Burma during the war as part of Entertainments National Service Association (ENSA). The songs most associated with her are "We'll Meet Again", "The White Cliffs of Dover", "A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square" and "There'll Always Be an England".

She remained popular after the war, appearing on radio and television in the UK and the US and recording such hits as "Auf Wiederseh'n Sweetheart" and her UK number one single "My Son, My Son". Her last single, "I Love This Land", was released to mark the end of the Falklands War. In 2009, at the age of 92, she became the oldest living artist to top the UK Albums Chart with the compilation album We'll Meet Again: The Very Best of Vera Lynn.[2] In 2014 she released the collection Vera Lynn: National Treasure, and in 2017 she released Vera Lynn 100, a compilation album of hits to commemorate her centennial year—it was a number 3 hit, making her the first centenarian performer to have a Top 10 album in the charts.[3]

Lynn has devoted much time and energy to charity work connected with ex-servicemen, disabled children and breast cancer. She is held in great affection by veterans of the Second World War and in 2000 was named the Briton who best exemplified the spirit of the 20th century.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/13/2020 at 1:15 AM, Myles said:

Dame Vera Margaret Lynn CH DBE OStJ (née Welch; born 20 March 1917)[1] is a British singer of traditional popular music, songwriter and actress, whose musical recordings and performances were enormously popular during the Second World War.

She is widely known as "the Forces' Sweetheart", and gave outdoor concerts for the troops in Egypt, India, and Burma during the war as part of Entertainments National Service Association (ENSA). The songs most associated with her are "We'll Meet Again", "The White Cliffs of Dover", "A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square" and "There'll Always Be an England".

She remained popular after the war, appearing on radio and television in the UK and the US and recording such hits as "Auf Wiederseh'n Sweetheart" and her UK number one single "My Son, My Son". Her last single, "I Love This Land", was released to mark the end of the Falklands War. In 2009, at the age of 92, she became the oldest living artist to top the UK Albums Chart with the compilation album We'll Meet Again: The Very Best of Vera Lynn.[2] In 2014 she released the collection Vera Lynn: National Treasure, and in 2017 she released Vera Lynn 100, a compilation album of hits to commemorate her centennial year—it was a number 3 hit, making her the first centenarian performer to have a Top 10 album in the charts.[3]

Lynn has devoted much time and energy to charity work connected with ex-servicemen, disabled children and breast cancer. She is held in great affection by veterans of the Second World War and in 2000 was named the Briton who best exemplified the spirit of the 20th century.

That's some great music you posted, thanks very much for posting to my thread.

Peace

• Like 1

Here is a fantastic live version of Shine On You Crazy Diamond, the video is perfect, the sound is perfect, it is really great.

Peace and enjoy

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 1

The first album I ever owned as a kid was The Wall. 

I'm proud of that.

• Thanks 1

On 6/12/2020 at 12:15 PM, Myles said:

I had no idea that she was still alive (until today).

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/wwii-forces-singer-vera-lynn-dead-103

Vera Lynn, the British singer whose songs provided hope for Allied troops during World War II, died Thursday at 103.

“The family are deeply saddened to announce the passing of one of Britain’s best-loved entertainers at the age of 103," the singer's family said in a statement. "Dame Vera Lynn, who lived in Ditchling, East Sussex, passed away earlier today, 18 June 2020, surrounded by her close family.”

Lynn was most known for her songs "The White Cliffs of Dover" and "We'll Meet Again," the latter serving as the melody in the ending montage of Stanley Kubrick's famed movie, "Dr. Strangelove."

Singer Vera Lynn poses outside Buckingham Palace after being invested a Dame Commander of the British Empire on Dec. 2, 1975. The family of World War II forces sweetheart Vera Lynn says she has died. Her passing was reported on Thursday, June 18, 2020. She was 103. (PA via AP, File)

Singer Vera Lynn poses outside Buckingham Palace after being invested a Dame Commander of the British Empire on Dec. 2, 1975. The family of World War II forces sweetheart Vera Lynn says she has died. Her passing was reported on Thursday, June 18, 2020. She was 103. (PA via AP, File)

She was described as the "forces sweetheart" as her songs reached millions while echoing messages of optimism to both troops and civilians back at home during the war.

Lynn spent her years during the war entertaining the troops, performing in hospitals and army camps, even traveling as far as India and Burma.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

On 6/14/2020 at 5:28 PM, GlitterRose said:

The first album I ever owned as a kid was The Wall. 

I'm proud of that.

I recently watched the PF docu "Which one is Pink?", and as I understood it, Roger Waters taking over as the creative leader in the band was what eventually drove them apart. The Wall was his project, and soon after finishing it, Mason left, and soon after that, Wright and Gilmour. In other words it was The Wall that destroyed Pink Floyd.

That puts The Wall in a whole other perspective, if you ask me. Namely making it a Waters' album and a band killer.

Any thoughts about this @Manwon Lender?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, zep73 said:

I recently watched the PF docu "Which one is Pink?", and as I understood it, Roger Waters taking over as the creative leader in the band was what eventually drove them apart. The Wall was his project, and soon after finishing it, Mason left, and soon after that, Wright and Gilmour. In other words it was The Wall that destroyed Pink Floyd.

That puts The Wall in a whole other perspective, if you ask me. Namely making it a Waters' album and a band killer.

Any thoughts about this @Manwon Lender?

Well I am uncertain that the Wall was the complete cause of the breakup of Pink Floyd, I think the cracks that caused the division started 1977 with the album Animals. It appears the division of royalties was a source of conflict between band members, who earned royalties on a per-song basis. Although Gilmour was largely responsible for "Dogs", which took up almost the entire first side of the album, he received less than Waters, who contributed the much shorter two-part. Wright commented: "It was partly my fault because I didn't push my material, but Dave did have something to offer, and only managed to get a couple of things on there.  Mason recalled: "Roger was in full flow with the ideas, but he was really keeping Dave down, and frustrating him deliberately. Gilmour, distracted by the birth of his first child, contributed little else toward the album. Similarly, neither Mason nor Wright contributed much toward Animals; Wright had marital problems, and his relationship with Waters was also suffering. Animals was the first Pink Floyd album with no writing credit for Wright, who said: "This was when Roger really started to believe that he was the sole writer for the band and that it was only because of him that [we] were still going this also when he started to develop his ego trips, and the person he would have his conflicts with would be me. 

I took the above information from wikipedia, however, it appears this where the problems began. Oh and by the way, wright was effectively forced out of the band, he really had no choice in it at all, he left after the completion of the album the wall, it appears this occurred because he was no longer contributing to the work at hand.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

but Dave did have something to offer, and only managed to get a couple of things on there.  Mason recalled: "Roger was in full flow with the ideas, but he was really keeping Dave down, and frustrating him deliberately.

Ah, so it started before The Wall, but culminated by its completion. Never the less it was Waters' ego who drove it over the edge.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

Well I am uncertain that the Wall was the complete cause of the breakup of Pink Floyd, I think the cracks that caused the division started 1977 with the album Animals.conflicts with would be me. 

Actually, the cracks that caused the division started already at the 1975, with the album Wish You Were Here. The band  had a big problems how to follow a huge success of The Dark Side Of The Moon.The 'WYWH' recording sessions were very difficult. As Roger Waters put it once:''The fact that no one was really looking each other in the eye, and that it was all very mechanical."

Here is very interesing article: Pink Floyd's Wish Yoy Were Here. Inside the album that nearly ended it all

https://www.loudersound.com/features/how-wish-you-were-here-was-the-beginning-of-the-end-for-pink-floyd

'Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here was the product of unfinished sessions, shambolic live shows and band alienation. Here, the band recall the protracted birth of the album that nearly ended it all'

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, jethrofloyd said:

Actually, the cracks that caused the division started already at the 1975, with the album Wish You Were Here. The band  had a big problems how to follow a huge success of The Dark Side Of The Moon.The 'WYWH' recording sessions were very difficult. As Roger Waters put it once:''The fact that no one was really looking each other in the eye, and that it was all very mechanical."

Here is very interesing article: Pink Floyd's Wish Yoy Were Here. Inside the album that nearly ended it all

https://www.loudersound.com/features/how-wish-you-were-here-was-the-beginning-of-the-end-for-pink-floyd

'Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here was the product of unfinished sessions, shambolic live shows and band alienation. Here, the band recall the protracted birth of the album that nearly ended it all'

thanks for the information, I appreciate it.

• Like 2

Just now, Manwon Lender said:

thanks for the information, I appreciate it.

@zep73  Hey partner another member just posted additional information you may be interested in.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...