Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Hankenhunter

Minneapolis to disband police force.

133 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hankenhunter
Hankenhunter

 

  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kittens Are Jerks

The idea is to correct the imbalance in emphasis between law enforcement and crime prevention. 

I think it's a step in the right direction as the enforcement-dominant policing model hasn't been working too well there lateley.

  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hugh Mungus

This is what the beginning of the end looks like. 

Who are you gonna call when someone is holding a gun to a pregnant woman's belly?

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
papageorge1
Posted (edited)

On Sunday afternoon, a veto-proof majority of Minneapolis City Council members will announce their commitment to disbanding the city’s embattled police department

 

My guess (although you will never understand a thing from that article) is that this doesn't exactly do anything now in reality. It is a stated 'commitment'. It looks like the liberal city council giving their audience a show at this time!

I am one who thinks all this anti-police stuff has gone too far. But at this moment there is no sentiment that says 'too far'. I am waiting for the blow-over and on to the next overblown subject. Police basically do a good job that is very stressful but there are problems to address.

 

Edited by papageorge1
  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spartan max2

I'm curious to see what this looks like when it's all said and done.

How much of it will be just words.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hankenhunter
3 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

On Sunday afternoon, a veto-proof majority of Minneapolis City Council members will announce their commitment to disbanding the city’s embattled police department

 

My guess (although you will never understand a thing from that article) is that this doesn't exactly do anything now in reality. It is a stated 'commitment'. It looks like the liberal city council giving their audience a show at this time!

I am one who thinks all this anti-police stuff has gone too far. But at this moment there is no sentiment that says 'too far'. I am waiting for the blow-over and on to the next overblown subject. Police basically do a great job but there are problems to address,

 

They have a veto proof majority. Its a done deal when they vote. At the very least, its going to start making cops think twice about indiscriminately busting black heads for pure sadistic pleasure. Especially if it starts to snowball around the country.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Golden Duck
5 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

I'm curious to see what this looks like when it's all said and done.

How much of it will be just words.

Disband the Minneapolis Police Department and replace it with the Community Office of Protection.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
papageorge1
1 minute ago, Hankenhunter said:

They have a veto proof majority. Its a done deal when they vote. At the very least, its going to start making cops think twice about indiscriminately busting black heads for pure sadistic pleasure. Especially if it starts to snowball around the country.

So what does one do when someone is breaking into your house or holding up a store?

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bison

Radical commitments  like this acknowledge a history of police brutality that has not been dealt with adequately, and the realization that much more must be done, without further delay. If this resolve causes widespread, thorough reforms in police officer screenings, supervision, and police unions, it will have served a very good purpose, and is long overdue.   

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Golden Duck
1 minute ago, papageorge1 said:

So what does one do when someone is breaking into your house or holding up a store?

We're told by all the people with bear arms that the cops don't anything anyway.  So what's the difference?

Justine Damond called the MPD about a possible assault and got shot!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hankenhunter
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

So what does one do when someone is breaking into your house or holding up a store?

I dunno Papa. This is uncharted territory for me. Perhaps this is just a bargaining chip to be used to get the police back under control. Minneapolis's mayor was almost strung up when he said he supported the police force to protesters. Something had to be done. This is a tentative first step, I guess.  I'm really curious as to whether this will snowball.

Edited by Hankenhunter
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
papageorge1
2 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

We're told by all the people with bear arms that the cops don't anything anyway.  So what's the difference?

Justine Damond called the MPD about a possible assault and got shot!

So you have no sensible answer to my question: So what does one do when someone is breaking into your house or holding up a store?

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
papageorge1
2 minutes ago, Hankenhunter said:

I dunno Papa. This is uncharted territory for me. Perhaps this is just a bargaining chip to be used to get the police back under control. Minneapolis's mayor was almost strung up when he said he supported the police force to protesters. Something had to be done. This is a tentative first step, I guess.

BS. There will have to be police by whatever name! DO I HAVE TO SAY SOMETHING THAT OBVIOUS!

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Golden Duck
Just now, papageorge1 said:

So you have no sensible answer to my question: So what does one do when someone is breaking into your house or holding up a store?

We are told that the cops don't do anything anyway!  Whatever they do is too late!  That's the narrative, is it wrong?

  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hankenhunter

What about busting up the big cop unions and only have a small union for each precinct. Independent of each other? Just spit balling for ideas.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kittens Are Jerks
2 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

So what does one do when someone is breaking into your house or holding up a store?

You call the police.

Their intent is to disband the current problematic police force and replace it with a new one. They've not been too specific about what the community-based model will look like, but I suspect they might look to what was done in places like Compton, CA and Camden, NJ.

  • Thanks 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hankenhunter
1 minute ago, papageorge1 said:

BS. There will have to be police by whatever name! DO I HAVE TO SAY SOMETHING THAT OBVIOUS!

Hey buddy, I didnt make the news. Take your misplaced anger out on the people that did. Sounds like someone just crapped their drawers.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
papageorge1
1 minute ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

You call the police.

Their intent is to disband the current problematic police force and replace it with a new one. They've not been too specific about what the community-based model will look like, but I suspect they might look to what was done in places like Compton, CA and Camden, NJ.

Ahh, still police by whatever name. Thank you.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
papageorge1

 

1 minute ago, Hankenhunter said:

Hey buddy, I didnt make the news. Take your misplaced anger out on the people that did. Sounds like someone just crapped their drawers.

Just shocked you could even think there could be no police-like organization.

  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hankenhunter

Judge Dredd, anybody? 

*sarcasm*

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hankenhunter
3 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

 

Just shocked you could even think there could be no police-like organization.

I'm not saying that. The Minneapolis city council did. Stop shooting the messenger. I think that eventually a balance will be achieved with many concessions made by the MPD. Things like getting rid of all the paramilitary equipment, removal of police immunity rules, that sort of thing. Things are definitely going to change though. For the better I hope.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Captain Risky
47 minutes ago, Hugh Mungus said:

This is what the beginning of the end looks like. 

Who are you gonna call when someone is holding a gun to a pregnant woman's belly?

An extreme example but I get your drift. Trump land has become a country of extremism. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Captain Risky
5 minutes ago, Hankenhunter said:

I'm not saying that. The Minneapolis city council did. Stop shooting the messenger. I think that eventually a balance will be achieved with many concessions made by the MPD. Things like getting rid of all the paramilitary equipment, removal of police immunity rules, that sort of thing. Things are definitely going to change though. For the better I hope.

Great point about the evolution of a police force to a paramilitary outfit. Even my mum has commented on how unapproachable police have become with this zero tolerance robcop persona.

  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kittens Are Jerks
25 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Ahh, still police by whatever name. Thank you.

Yes, still police, although some of their current responsibilities (such as dealing with various social problems, for example) might be shifted to entities better equipped to handle them.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.