Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Minneapolis to disband police force.

Hankenhunter

7 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

I read a great article about a surveillance practice we developed in Iraq.  Airplanes were in constant flight over several cities taking frequent pictures.  They were trying to solve the IED problem.  When an IED exploded, they looked at all the pictures of the area  prior to and after the explosion.  Often they were able to see the perps, their vehicle if any and trace where it went.

After withdrawal, people who had been associated with the project started a company and offered a free month of service to a medium sized city in the US and one in Mexico. to try to sell the concept for law enforcement in the US., 

In the US, after a burglary, they reviewed pictures and saw a white moving truck pull up to the house that was robbed.  They were able to trace the path of the truck by sequential photos and find it.

In Mexico, they had pictures of a police woman whose car was surrounded at an intersection and she was assassinated right there on the street.  They followed the cars and also backtracked to see where they came from.  They saw them at several other crime scenes and  parked at a house which turned out to be a cartel safe house.

The US city could not convince the citizens to go for it, because they were concerned about the invasion of privacy.  Kinda like the result you described, people got irate and did not want police or anybody else to be able to track their  travels.

I don't know about Mexico.

The more our cities resemble war zones the more likely citizens are to accept war time tactics.  That may even be somebody's plan.

In Cincinnati they use something called Shot Spotter.  It's a series of microphones placed throughout primarily Black neighborhoods that can triangulate the position of shots fired.  The police can show up before anyone even calls.  I don't know how well it's working, every once in a while it gets mentioned on the news.  I don't live there but I'm within broadcast range of their TV and radio stations.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

If you add funding does crime decrease?  Is it worth the cost?  Might depend on the city.

It would also depend what they spend it on.  Better training in some skills should produce benefits, but increased training in PC nonsense might lower morale and reduce effectiveness even if there are more cops.  Since the cities having these problems are mostly Democrat run I don't expect them to spend money wisely.  That's how they came to be in the mess they're in.

• Like 2

NYC mayor Deblasio earlier today before painting another BLM on the street in the Bronx.

"We have fewer people in jail than any time in our history since WW2 and we are safer and better for it"

Acidhead checks notes: crime is skyrocketing in NYC 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, acidhead said:

“We have fewer people in jail than any time in our history since WW2 and we are safer and better for it"

I had to laugh at the Mayor’s statement. New York has released thousands of inmates due to Covid-19 fears. So, I guess it would follow that fewer people are incarcerated. Lol

This article is about two months old. I wonder what the statistics are now?

https://www.syracuse.com/state/2020/05/report-over-100-ny-prisoners-freed-due-to-coronavirus-re-arrested-for-crimes.html

• Like 3