Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

US police most lethal & Chauvin bail $1.25M

zep73

(I decided to make this a double thread, since the topics are closely related.)

The United States has, by far, the most lethal police force in the Western world.

Deaths per 100,000 arrests:

police.thumb.PNG.2951b2fdb0a580a6a4c0e2b2145f645c.PNG

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/08/us/us-police-floyd-protests-country-comparisons-intl/index.html

Chauvin's bail has just been set to $1.25M

https://edition.cne-news/george-floyd-memorial-service-protests/h_3337197260b9e5e154a4ef68d56b18f5

Edited by sci-nerd
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Were the 12 all criminals who were being arrested?

Not that it justifies the police being judge, jury and executioner, just trying to compare the number of criminals in the USA.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

Why is he even got bail? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, freetoroam said:

Why is he even got bail? 

Good question!

2 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

Not that it justifies the police being judge, jury and executioner, just trying to compare the number of criminals in the USA.

I was looking for a source to the Chauvin bail story, when I stumbled upon that article, so I decided to include it in my OP, without having read it.
I will read it when I have more time, but right now I'm running around the house doing chores :innocent:

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

Why is he even got bail? 

Every criminal gets bail. They just jack up the amount depending on the case. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

I just added some graphics, to make it clear how many people we're dealing with.

• Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Every criminal gets bail. They just jack up the amount depending on the case. 

Well thats something they should be protesting about.

I thought if the crime is really bad they do not get bail, 

For serious crimes, or for suspects who are deemed likely to fail to turn up in court, they may be remanded (detained) while awaiting trial.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bail

I doubt Chauvin will jump bail, but he may try to commit suicide. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

It's about money. 

35 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

Ok, I finally read (most of) it.

The numbers are rough estimates, because there are no databases. They are not all deaths in connection with arrests, but of people in police custody.

Edited by sci-nerd

The FBI recorded that 407 people were shot in an act of "justifiable homicide" by a police officer in 2018, a decline on previous years.

If a criminal is armed and have killed here (England), in the past we have see  they do get shot, but its rare,  so it would make sense that in a country where criminals are very likely to be armed, then  it would account for why more get shot.

• Like 4

The following is a recent analysis of different police tactics around the world. According to the article the US is most similar to many Latin American countries in terms of the vast inequalities, localized policing, and highly racialized function and history of policing. In other countries, including Europe, the police tactics that are causing outrage in the US are either banned or far more strictly regulated. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2020/06/06/guns-neck-restraint-how-police-tactics-differ-around-world

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

Laws in the US vary from state to state, but typically no, not all people get bail. Those deemed to be a flight risk, a danger to the community, or accused of capital crimes, for example, often do not.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

It's about money. 

If they appear in court, they get the money back.

https://www.aboutbail.com/pages/will-i-get-my-bail-money-back

But one foot wrong and its lost, which makes it risky for family and friends as they have to trust the person they are bailing out, which is very risky if that person is a criminal who does not care about anyone else but themselves. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, freetoroam said:

https://www.aboutbail.com/pages/will-i-get-my-bail-money-back

But one foot wrong and its lost, which makes it risky for family and friends as they have to trust the person they are bailing out, which is very risky if that person is a criminal who does not care about anyone else but themselves. 

That's why they often set it so high that no one will pay it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

If successful that would reduce the financial burden on the taxpayers. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

I agree. He should have been denied bail. He'll need to come up with the money though.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

Only if your not guilty.

My bail was $50,000. When my charges were dismissed they gave it back. They forgot they gave it back during the next 2 indictments and at the 3rd one the Judge said I forfeited it which gave me a giggle. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

26 minutes ago, susieice said:

I agree. He should have been denied bail. He'll need to come up with the money though.

If he does, I think he may take the opportunity when out to either flee or commit suicide. I say that because he will for sure be going to prison and I just can imagine he will be thinking  his life will not be worth living in there.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

If he does, I think he may take the opportunity when out to either flee or commit suicide. I say that because he will for sure be going to prison and I just can imagine he will be thinking  his life will not be worth living in there.

I doubt his life will be worth living anywhere. The thought just crossed my mind that maybe no one wants the responsibility of him offing himself in their facility after what happened with Epstein.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, susieice said:

Would the bail money be forfeited if Chauvin offs himself? It is escaping justice after all. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, freetoroam said:

Why is he even got bail? 

lucky for us this did not happen in ny, or he would be released without bail, due to idiot's cuomo bail reform

8 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

i think he still believes judge will either acquit him, or give him very light sentence, police union will fight for him, since it happened while he was a cop he has a right to request bench trial aka no jury trial, judge only,

Edited by aztek
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, Jarocal said:

If successful that would reduce the financial burden on the taxpayers. 

Sure will, I say the same thing when a serial criminal who has killed  innocent people or a child molester or rapist is either shot by police or commits suicide. 

But not everyone wants that to happen, the families want justice to be done and suicide could mask that.

Some will want the criminal to stand trial, some may need answers especially if a victim is missing.

Many different scenarios, the saving for the tax payer is not often the solution  the victims families are looking for.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, susieice said:

If he does post bail, then skips bond for his next court appearance by committing suicide, which should forfeit it, would that possibly show as a net profit for the taxpayer?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, susieice said:

I doubt his life will be worth living anywhere. The thought just crossed my mind that maybe no one wants the responsibility of him offing himself in their facility after what happened with Epstein.

In New Jersey they have a special prison for cops and lawyers. 

• Like 2