Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

HBO Max pulls Gone With The Wind

WVK

Are books next? Thankfully modern green technology would allow them to burned with minimal environmental impact

"Gone With The Wind has been temporarily removed by HBO Max from its streaming platform after it was criticized for romanticizing slavery, amid a nationwide re-evaluation of cultural values."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8405071/HBO-Max-temporarily-pulls-Gone-Wind-accusations-glorifies-antebellum-south.html

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

I mean the movie does glorify the Antebellum South and slavery as well.The movie's opening crawl reads like this:

There was a land of Cavaliers and Cotton Fields called the Old South... Here in this pretty world Gallantry took its last bow.. Here was the last ever to be seen of Knights and their Ladies Fair, of Master and Slave... Look for it only in books, for it is no more than a dream remembered. A Civilization gone with the wind...

So I can see the movie being problematic.
But rather than outright removing the movie, it would probably be better to do what they did with those racially insensitive Loony Tune cartoons and add a short prologue where the events and POV of the move are discussed from a modern perspective.

Edited by Orphalesion
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It was indicative of life and attitudes of the time. 

• Like 3

for virtue-signalling PC gestures. 

• Like 2

as long as you recognize that it's fiction and not a documentary  I think its ok.  remember they once attacked Huckleberry Finn for the language used but when I was a kid I enjoyed it.  I didn't grow up to be a klansman.  it does romanticize that period in American history making southerners out to be chivalrous and honorable while they owned human beings.  It's not as blatant as birth of nations, but it is propaganda.  Not sure  Margaret Mitchell intentionally wrote propaganda or was just in a state of denial and wanted to believe the old south was the last bastion of civility instead of the cruel, greedy, feudal system it was. 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, micahc said:

as long as you recognize that it's fiction and not a documentary  I think its ok.  remember they once attacked Huckleberry Finn for the language used but when I was a kid I enjoyed it.  I didn't grow up to be a klansman.  it does romanticize that period in American history making southerners out to be chivalrous and honorable while they owned human beings.  It's not as blatant as birth of nations, but it is propaganda.  Not sure  Margaret Mitchell intentionally wrote propaganda or was just in a state of denial and wanted to believe the old south was the last bastion of civility instead of the cruel, greedy, feudal system it was. 

I know a bit about Margaret Mitchell and she wrote the books after listening to older family members discuss the war, and the life everyone lived during that time. So I think she was writing a romanticized version of what she grew up hearing about.

• Like 5

Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.

– George Orwell

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

The book does an excellent job of portraying the southerners as Hypocrites who hide their nastier nature’s behind a veil of gentility and charm. The land owners have a hierarchy that explicitly excludes those who don’t follow their rules and expectations (Ashley is considered by EVERYONE to be weird because he likes to and is able to read for example), Butler is considered to be untrustworthy because of the sun of not owning land, everyone thinks of slaves as furniture INCLUDING OTHER SLAVES. Read with a critical eye it’s not so much as a lauding of rhe south but rather a pagentry of what the South thought itself to be warts and all. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

The book does an excellent job of portraying the southerners as Hypocrites who hide their nastier nature’s behind a veil of gentility and charm. The land owners have a hierarchy that explicitly excludes those who don’t follow their rules and expectations (Ashley is considered by EVERYONE to be weird because he likes to and is able to read for example), Butler is considered to be untrustworthy because of the sun of not owning land, everyone thinks of slaves as furniture INCLUDING OTHER SLAVES. Read with a critical eye it’s not so much as a lauding of rhe south but rather a pagentry of what the South thought itself to be warts and all. 

The book, yes, and it also depicts 19th century Gerogia as a rather rough, vulgar and backwards place. And the society she grew up in and their opinion of women is shown to be the main reason of why Scarlett is so messed up. 

But the movie tends à lot more towards romanticising the Antebellum South as a fairytale countrynof knights and ladies. (Though on the other hand in the book the KKK is portrayed in a heoric light, while the film ommits them) 

Both the movie and the book have their problems when viewed from a modern perspective, but I still figure it could be lessened with an additional prologue/foreword that puts everything into a proper context and at least addresses the horrible racism.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

The book, yes, and it also depicts 19th century Gerogia as a rather rough, vulgar and backwards place. And the society she grew up in and their opinion of women is shown to be the main reason of why Scarlett is so messed up. 

But the movie tends à lot more towards romanticising the Antebellum South as a fairytale countrynof knights and ladies. (Though on the other hand in the book the KKK is portrayed in a heoric light, while the film ommits them) 

Both the movie and the book have their problems when viewed from a modern perspective, but I still figure it could be lessened with an additional prologue/foreword that puts everything into a proper context and at least addresses the horrible racism.

I gave up on the book after a chapter of the dip**** twins mooching about trying to work out who to get a free meal off of and their “body servant” slagging off other slaves, and a chapter explaining that old man O’Hara made his money by being a hard working Irish stereotype.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Poisoned chalice... 

[00.02:48]

~

• Like 4

15 hours ago, WVK said:

Are books next? Thankfully modern green technology would allow them to burned with minimal environmental impact

"Gone With The Wind has been temporarily removed by HBO Max from its streaming platform after it was criticized for romanticizing slavery, amid a nationwide re-evaluation of cultural values."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8405071/HBO-Max-temporarily-pulls-Gone-Wind-accusations-glorifies-antebellum-south.html

"Where they have burned books, they will end in burning human beings." ― Heinrich Heine

• Like 4

9 hours ago, and then said:

"Where they have burned books, they will end in burning human beings." ― Heinrich Heine

Soon the mob demands that all  "Objectable Literature"  be removed form public libraries. Fahrenheit 451

Can't happen?
[www.realclearpolitics.com]

• Like 4

Getting pretty stupid.   How does the left support this type of censorship.  

Soon they will be removing songs, video's and other stuff that "offends" them.   Time to burn the books I guess.  

• Like 3

On 6/10/2020 at 8:05 AM, keithisco said:

"Revisionism"  springs to mind.

Cultural Revolution!  Destroy our history.  Destroy our culture.  Make room for the new order.

• Like 1

If we destroy our history, then we are doomed to repeat it.  If this liberal education system would actually teach our children American history, then there would be no need for prologue or forwards to our culture.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, WVK said:

Could The New Order mimic South Africa post-apartheid?

I would say more like apartheid South Africa, antebellum South with just the rolls reversed.  Or more like Maoist China.

32 minutes ago, WVK said:

If they want South Africa to turn into another Venezuela, go for it.

On 6/10/2020 at 7:05 AM, keithisco said:

"Revisionism"  springs to mind.

The movie itself might be called revisionist or romantizing that era, but not showing it is not strictly speaking not revisionist.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WVK said:

Soon the mob demands that all  "Objectable Literature"  be removed form public libraries. Fahrenheit 451

Can't happen?

You mean like the conservative crusade to remove Harry Potter from library shelves.  Climb down of the high horse pardner.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.

– George Orwell

This is an apt statement of conservatism too.  Both sides do it.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RavenHawk said:

Cultural Revolution!  Destroy our history.  Destroy our culture.  Make room for the new order.

Have you ever read the book?  It is not history it is a work of fiction told from the author's perspective.   That is cool, read it as such if you bother to read it. You can still learn a lot from it if you do know history. Just don't take it as some "true history".  

Times and people change. You do not need to erase history or to cling to it.  What we do ourselves in this world  is what determines our fate, not what our ancestors did.

Or else me and my Scandinavian descendant friends could meet every year and salute the Land Waster  banner of Norwegian kings  and talk about how we stomped the puny Anglo Saxons into the mud, gutted them, stole their women and children to sell into slavery   That is part of history too, but we don't glorify it much these days, especially the Viking slave trade.  It is not forgotten, just not a standard for modern behavior.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Tatetopa said:

You mean like the conservative crusade to remove Harry Potter from library shelves.  Climb down of the high horse pardner.  

Did they engage in arson, iootings assault murder?

• Confused 1