Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Still Waters

Uganda's rare silverback killed by hunters

Dustyrose33

That's a shame.   In the next 50 years or so many wild animals will gone.

• Like 4

Myles
On 6/12/2020 at 9:57 AM, Still Waters said:

One of Uganda's best known mountain gorillas, Rafiki, has been killed.

Four men have been arrested, who face a life sentence or a fine of $5.4m (£4.3m) if found guilty of killing an endangered species.

Investigations showed that Rafiki was killed by a sharp object that penetrated his internal organs.

There are just over 1,000 mountain gorillas in existence and the Uganda Wildlife Authority (UWA) described Rafiki's death as a "very big blow".

The silverback, believed to be around 25 years old when he died in the Bwindi Impenetrable National Park, was the leader of a group of 17 mountain gorillas.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-53024073

Pretty vague on what killed him.   "Sharp object"?     You would think after "investigations" they would be able to say it was a bullet or an arrowhead or a knife.   

• Like 2

and then
6 hours ago, Myles said:

Pretty vague on what killed him.   "Sharp object"?     You would think after "investigations" they would be able to say it was a bullet or an arrowhead or a knife.   

I hope the poor thing didn't linger and suffer from a gut shot.  Killing animals without need is nothing I've ever done.  I hunted small game in my teens and twenties but it was always eaten.  To intentionally snuff out the life of one of those magnificent animals is disgusting.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Still Waters
15 hours ago, Myles said:

The great ape, a favourite of tourists, died after a poacher thrust a spear into his belly, penetrating as deep as his internal organs, according to a post-mortem report. 

https://www.nationalgeographic.co.uk/animals/2020/06/beloved-silverback-gorilla-killed-by-poachers-in-uganda

• Thanks 1

Myles
21 minutes ago, Still Waters said:

So he claims it was self defense.    Since they didn't harvest any parts of Rafiki, he could be telling the truth.   I thought I'd hear that they removed the hands and other parts.   

openozy
On 6/12/2020 at 11:57 PM, Still Waters said:

Four men have been arrested, who face a life sentence or a fine of $5.4m (£4.3m) if found guilty of killing an endangered species.

It looks like a life sentence.Idi Amin used to eat human,so what does anyone expect?

Still Waters

Update:

The killer of one of Uganda's best known mountain gorillas, Rafiki, has been jailed for 11 years.

Felix Byamukama pleaded guilty to illegally entering a protected area and killing a gorilla.

Three others denied the charges and have been remanded in jail, awaiting trial.

Byamukama will serve several sentences concurrently, leading to 11 years in jail which falls far short of the life sentence it was predicted he could have been given.

This was because he was not tried in a special wildlife court, a UWA spokesperson told the BBC.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-53592216

• Thanks 2

khol

Life sentence would have been more justified IMO..set precedents.

• Like 1

khol
On 6/16/2020 at 4:21 AM, Myles said:

So he claims it was self defense.    Since they didn't harvest any parts of Rafiki, he could be telling the truth.   I thought I'd hear that they removed the hands and other parts.   

He shouldnt be hunting in a national park to begin with. Had he been following the law Rafiki would still be alive

• Like 1