Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Still Waters

Woman hatches ducklings from Waitrose eggs

Recommended Posts

Still Waters

A woman has hatched three ducklings called Beep, Peep and Meep from eggs she bought in Waitrose.

Charli Lello, 29, from Hertfordshire, put the Clarence Court eggs in an incubator as an experiment to pass the time after being furloughed.

She said the ducklings would live "a very happy life" with her pet chickens.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-52838747

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Kittens Are Jerks

The ducklings are adorable and I love their names. Great little story, but I don't think I will ever be able to eat eggs again.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Still Waters
7 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

The ducklings are adorable and I love their names. Great little story, but I don't think I will ever be able to eat eggs again.

I've never eaten a duck's egg, I eat a lot of eggs but they're always from hens.

A friend of ours keeps ducks and sends us pictures or videos of them sometimes, the ducklings especially are always nice to see.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
9 hours ago, Still Waters said:

I've never eaten a duck's egg, I eat a lot of eggs but they're always from hens.

Most people use them for fluffy baking.  They are more fattier but healthier with more Omega-3s.

They have bigger yolks too. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Myles

Ducks are extremely messy to keep.   They make chickens seem clean.   They are best kept if you have a pond and do not need to keep them in a coop.    Of course the risk is them getting killed by an animal or just leaving.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lightly
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Myles said:

Ducks are extremely messy to keep.   They make chickens seem clean.   They are best kept if you have a pond and do not need to keep them in a coop.    Of course the risk is them getting killed by an animal or just leaving.

We met a lady at a Cal. State Beach campground once  that we called. " the Duck Lady".  . because she was traveling, in a station wagon, with a small group of ducks..and promoting them to people as being superior to chickens ..and easier to handle.   ?    I remember her saying that ducks will follow you...and chickens won't.    :)

 

 

Edited by lightly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Myles
12 minutes ago, lightly said:

We met a lady at a Cal. State Beach campground once  that we called. " the Duck Lady".  . because she was traveling, in a station wagon, with a small group of ducks..and promoting them to people as being superior to chickens ..and easier to handle.   ?    I remember her saying that ducks will follow you...and chickens won't.    :)

 

 

That is kind of true.   But how often do you really want chickens or ducks following you.   It's neat at first, but not really a good reason.   Chickens lay an egg every other day (on average) where ducks lay 1 every 5 or so days.   So if your family relies on the eggs to eat, you would have to have many more ducks than chickens.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lightly

 

7 minutes ago, Myles said:

That is kind of true.   But how often do you really want chickens or ducks following you.   It's neat at first, but not really a good reason.   Chickens lay an egg every other day (on average) where ducks lay 1 every 5 or so days.   So if your family relies on the eggs to eat, you would have to have many more ducks than chickens.  

Ah !  Thanks Myles.       :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lightly

Actually, her reasoning was...that ducks were easier to herd into shelter for the night...so they would be safe from predators.

....not that she wanted to host duck parades :lol:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Myles
1 hour ago, lightly said:

Actually, her reasoning was...that ducks were easier to herd into shelter for the night...so they would be safe from predators.

....not that she wanted to host duck parades :lol:

I just leave the coop door open and the chickens go in at dusk.   I suppose if you want to put them away earlier that ducks would be easier, although a couple pieces of bread will get ducks and chickens to follow you.   

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lightly

Thanks Myles,  I dunno nuttin about that stuff.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Myles
7 minutes ago, lightly said:

Thanks Myles,  I dunno nuttin about that stuff.   

I'd recommend anyone with any interest in having a couple chickens just do it.  They are very easy.   Even if you only go with 2-3 hens.   Cheap, easy and a good experience.   If you decide it is not for you, there are always people who will take them off your hands.  

My favorite part is hatching eggs.   Put them in the incubator and 21 days later you have chicks.  Easy as that.   I don't know what women complain for, giving birth from an egg is easy.   ;)

I have a polish rooster and some plain white leghorns.   I can't wait to see how they look.

 

image.png.08f1292269a783cd564828d2fdaea7bf.png

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
lightly
Posted (edited)

Nice Myles !   Sounds like fun.

We actually had a few chickens years ago....but not for long, because I put them in a pen ...too far from the house and a fox got under the fence a few times .   Apparently I'm too stupid to be trusted with chickens.

Edited by lightly
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Myles
1 hour ago, lightly said:

Nice Myles !   Sounds like fun.

We actually had a few chickens years ago....but not for long, because I put them in a pen ...too far from the house and a fox got under the fence a few times .   Apparently I'm too stupid to be trusted with chickens.

Yeah, They are easy prey for predators.  

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.