Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Woman hatches ducklings from Waitrose eggs

Still Waters

A woman has hatched three ducklings called Beep, Peep and Meep from eggs she bought in Waitrose.

Charli Lello, 29, from Hertfordshire, put the Clarence Court eggs in an incubator as an experiment to pass the time after being furloughed.

She said the ducklings would live "a very happy life" with her pet chickens.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-52838747

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Woman hatches ducklings from Waitrose eggs

The ducklings are adorable and I love their names. Great little story, but I don't think I will ever be able to eat eggs again.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

The ducklings are adorable and I love their names. Great little story, but I don't think I will ever be able to eat eggs again.

I've never eaten a duck's egg, I eat a lot of eggs but they're always from hens.

A friend of ours keeps ducks and sends us pictures or videos of them sometimes, the ducklings especially are always nice to see.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Still Waters said:

I've never eaten a duck's egg, I eat a lot of eggs but they're always from hens.

Most people use them for fluffy baking.  They are more fattier but healthier with more Omega-3s.

They have bigger yolks too. 

• Like 4

Ducks are extremely messy to keep.   They make chickens seem clean.   They are best kept if you have a pond and do not need to keep them in a coop.    Of course the risk is them getting killed by an animal or just leaving.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Myles said:

Ducks are extremely messy to keep.   They make chickens seem clean.   They are best kept if you have a pond and do not need to keep them in a coop.    Of course the risk is them getting killed by an animal or just leaving.

We met a lady at a Cal. State Beach campground once  that we called. " the Duck Lady".  . because she was traveling, in a station wagon, with a small group of ducks..and promoting them to people as being superior to chickens ..and easier to handle.   ?    I remember her saying that ducks will follow you...and chickens won't.    :)

Edited by lightly

12 minutes ago, lightly said:

We met a lady at a Cal. State Beach campground once  that we called. " the Duck Lady".  . because she was traveling, in a station wagon, with a small group of ducks..and promoting them to people as being superior to chickens ..and easier to handle.   ?    I remember her saying that ducks will follow you...and chickens won't.    :)

That is kind of true.   But how often do you really want chickens or ducks following you.   It's neat at first, but not really a good reason.   Chickens lay an egg every other day (on average) where ducks lay 1 every 5 or so days.   So if your family relies on the eggs to eat, you would have to have many more ducks than chickens.  

7 minutes ago, Myles said:

That is kind of true.   But how often do you really want chickens or ducks following you.   It's neat at first, but not really a good reason.   Chickens lay an egg every other day (on average) where ducks lay 1 every 5 or so days.   So if your family relies on the eggs to eat, you would have to have many more ducks than chickens.  

Ah !  Thanks Myles.       :lol:

Actually, her reasoning was...that ducks were easier to herd into shelter for the night...so they would be safe from predators.

....not that she wanted to host duck parades :lol:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, lightly said:

Actually, her reasoning was...that ducks were easier to herd into shelter for the night...so they would be safe from predators.

....not that she wanted to host duck parades :lol:

I just leave the coop door open and the chickens go in at dusk.   I suppose if you want to put them away earlier that ducks would be easier, although a couple pieces of bread will get ducks and chickens to follow you.   

• Thanks 1

Thanks Myles,  I dunno nuttin about that stuff.   

7 minutes ago, lightly said:

Thanks Myles,  I dunno nuttin about that stuff.   

I'd recommend anyone with any interest in having a couple chickens just do it.  They are very easy.   Even if you only go with 2-3 hens.   Cheap, easy and a good experience.   If you decide it is not for you, there are always people who will take them off your hands.  

My favorite part is hatching eggs.   Put them in the incubator and 21 days later you have chicks.  Easy as that.   I don't know what women complain for, giving birth from an egg is easy.   ;)

I have a polish rooster and some plain white leghorns.   I can't wait to see how they look.

image.png.08f1292269a783cd564828d2fdaea7bf.png

• Like 1

Nice Myles !   Sounds like fun.

We actually had a few chickens years ago....but not for long, because I put them in a pen ...too far from the house and a fox got under the fence a few times .   Apparently I'm too stupid to be trusted with chickens.

Edited by lightly
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, lightly said:

Nice Myles !   Sounds like fun.

We actually had a few chickens years ago....but not for long, because I put them in a pen ...too far from the house and a fox got under the fence a few times .   Apparently I'm too stupid to be trusted with chickens.

Yeah, They are easy prey for predators.  

• Confused 1