Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Strange something or other in the elevator

Kittens Are Jerks

On 6/15/2020 at 6:13 AM, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Just back from my morning run, I was first in line waiting for an elevator to get back up to my apartment. There were three people behind me. As the doors of the elevator closest to us opened, a roundish dark cloud-like something or other sped out and shot around the corner towards the lobby area. All of us jumped back out of the way. My initial thought was that it might have been a small animal, but I quickly saw that it wasn't. It was about six inches off the ground, about the size of a football. The person at the end of the line tried to follow it, but it vanished as quickly as it apppeared. This is the second time I've seen something like that, and wonder what it could be. Thoughts anyone?

Did it look similar to this?

Peace

dark.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Manwon Lender said:

Did it look similar to this?

Peace

dark.jpg

Not as dense and although mostly circular, it was somewhat mishapen. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mystic_chill said:

Interesting account Kittens. I've been actively browsing these forums since the recent sighting I had with a more broader prospective. You sorta get an appreciation for those who transcribe their experiences for public access despite the probability of ridicule from others. 

Most just dont get that we dont walk around expecting the unexpected and camera ready when something odd occurs. And if what you experienced cant easily be explained away its difficult to accept the theories of others.

Thank you! It's a challenge trying to solve it, but who knows, we probably already have. It will be interesting to see what explanations the various 'experts' come up with.

As a skeptic I typically look for logical explanations, although I am open to any and all possibilities. I would never dream of excluding those members whose beliefs differ from mine. If anything, I appreciate their ideas, as well as the effort they make to help. Don't ever take explanations that run contrary to your beliefs personally. They are not an attack on those beliefs, just an effort to provide you with various explanations. What you decide to take from all that is entirely your choice. So please don't ever hesitate to share your experiences.

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

I am looking through some old information I have, I will see if I am able to help you out here.

Peace 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Something like this?

Also you mentioned that the smoke or cloud was associated with some ones belongings that was now living a nursing home, see if she is still alive if possible.

Peace

demon.jpg

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Manwon Lender said:

Something like this?

Also you mentioned that the smoke or cloud was associated with some ones belongings that was now living a nursing home, see if she is still alive if possible.

Peace

demon.jpg

Not quite. More like this, although not quite so opaque, and about the size of a football.

xjTEWQ2.jpg

I can't see it being smoke off something,it would be hot and heat rises, it doesn't stay in a cluster and move around corners.

• Thanks 1

On 6/14/2020 at 7:40 PM, Kittens Are Jerks said:

The unnerved security guard stayed after his shift was over to review the video. The elevator seemed fine until one of the residents walked in with a bellman's cart full of stuff. She entered the elevator on the eighth floor and got off on the 27th. The bellman's cart faced the door and when she got in front of it and pulled it out, the dark mass was in the bottom right hand corner (just behind where the bellman's cart was). It stayed there pretty much motionless until the elevator came down to the lobby where were were waiting. It zipped out as soon as the doors opened (the wind effect of the door opening may have had something to do with it, I don't know) and disappeared.

I know the woman in the elevator, so knocked on her door, explained what happened and asked what she had on the cart. They were some items she picked up from another tenant who had been moved to a nursing home (the vast majority of people in my building are retired). The items included books, small framed paintings, crystal vases, and (PapaGeorge is going to go mental when he reads this) two antique Art Nouveau lamps. That was it. Nothing to explain the dark mass.

I missed this post, or read it too quickly.  This explains it.  Whether the lady wants to admit it or not, something on her cart spilled onto the floor. It seems it was a powder of some sort, dry enough to be tossed in the wind.  Maybe something she would be embarrassed by or just embarrassed she was so clumsy. It would explain the behavior of the cloud. The pile got picked up as the doors open and the wind was created by the doors in the lobby.  The powder stayed together as a cloud just long enough to turn the corner.  I was thinking earlier things like toner, talc containing products, etc. Do your apartments have fire places, or can people grill on their balconies? Could this lady have been doing something against apt rules, and was removing ashes and spilled them?  If it had been a sinister force, I doubt it would have sat quietly under the cart.  I hate to say it, but the lady is the culprit.  Either that or you missed the person on just before. this is definitely a human at work, probably just an accident conspiring with the drafts of the apt building.

Edited by micahc
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, micahc said:

...Whether the lady wants to admit it or not, something on her cart spilled onto the floor. It seems it was a powder of some sort, dry enough to be tossed in the wind.  Maybe something she would be embarrassed by or just embarrassed she was so clumsy. It would explain the behavior of the cloud. The pile got picked up as the doors open and the wind was created by the doors in the lobby.  The powder stayed together as a cloud....

Just my two cents worth, maybe the cloud was vacuum cleaner dust..?  OK, it's a long shot, but maybe there was some reason why it was emptied into an open container that fell off the cart and a cloud of dust flew up and out.   That would explain the darkness of the cloud...

Added PS... KAJ, your description of the stuff on the cart also created another suggestion in my twisted mind.  Maybe amongst those trinkets was an urn..... ok, you probably didn't want to hear that potential source for the cloud of dust.. sorry... but it would certainly explain the embarrassment and a potential cover-up..

Edited by ChrLzs
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@ChrLzs @micahc  While both of your ideas certainly seem possible, the OP clearly says that when the elevator doors opened what ever it was speed out and made a 90 Degree turn around a corner, now dust, smoke, or anything else I have hear could not do that at the rate of speed it apparently happened at. In addition, according to the OP  when the video was reviewed, whatever it was could be seen on the floor near the maids cart, then she exited and it remained in the elevator until it reached the OP's floor and rushed out.

Peace           

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This isnt what this likely was but worth sharing...i hope. :hmm:  i had forgotten about it but micahcs reply reminded me, one nite in the early 80s i went with a buddy to pick up his gf at a GED school, we were early and the only ones in the hall, now these were outside covered halls, you know doors to classes down one side, its still out, queit but where 4 halls came together a tiny little dirt devil forumed, mostly an odd orange red color from the clay dust, it moved around at us then back and did turn around a corner and dissipated, it only lasted a few seconds, and john remarked, you know it acted alive like fire does sometimes.

In this threads case we might maybe figure out and even prove what it is if its a logical explanation, but otherwise it could go unexplaned, bummer.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ChrLzs said:

Just my two cents worth, maybe the cloud was vacuum cleaner dust..?  OK, it's a long shot, but maybe there was some reason why it was emptied into an open container that fell off the cart and a cloud of dust flew up and out.   That would explain the darkness of the cloud...

Added PS... KAJ, your description of the stuff on the cart also created another suggestion in my twisted mind.  Maybe amongst those trinkets was an urn..... ok, you probably didn't want to hear that potential source for the cloud of dust.. sorry... but it would certainly explain the embarrassment and a potential cover-up..

That's kind of what I think it is. I thought of an urn too..but I think those ashes are lighter but maybe not..LOL.  I am thinking, someone had collected something powdery to discard and it fell out.  Since it completely dissipated in seconds, I am thinking more powder like and homogenous than typical vacuum dust.  Perhaps the lady, or some earlier resident had spilled it, and didn't want to clean it up. It would be hard to admit to your neighbors was a slob you are, so just play dumb.  LOL.   

7 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

In addition, according to the OP  when the video was reviewed, whatever it was could be seen on the floor near the maids cart, then she exited and it remained in the elevator until it reached the OP's floor and rushed out.

I'm sure it's too late to know now but I was wondering if something had dripped on the floor, if it's a swarm of tiny bugs you only need a few drops of soda or something sweet to make them swarm around it.  I keep confusing where this is happening also; I read 'bellman's cart' and 'maid's cart' that you mentioned and keep thinking this is a hotel but it's an apartment, and the person with the cart was a resident.  If it was a maid who had a job cleaning rooms in a hotel then I'd lean more towards this bug explanation, most people have probably seen the mess that is usually left when someone orders room service, I'm sure some of that ends up spilled on the cart.  Also I wonder where this cart came from, was it the woman's or was it a common building cart for use by residents that maybe is kept in a basement or storage area and either is not cleaned regularly, and thus provides a place for bugs to hang out and nest temporarily.

3 minutes ago, Liquid Gardens said:

I'm sure it's too late to know now but I was wondering if something had dripped on the floor, if it's a swarm of tiny bugs you only need a few drops of soda or something sweet to make them swarm around it.  I keep confusing where this is happening also; I read 'bellman's cart' and 'maid's cart' that you mentioned and keep thinking this is a hotel but it's an apartment, and the person with the cart was a resident.  If it was a maid who had a job cleaning rooms in a hotel then I'd lean more towards this bug explanation, most people have probably seen the mess that is usually left when someone orders room service, I'm sure some of that ends up spilled on the cart.  Also I wonder where this cart came from, was it the woman's or was it a common building cart for use by residents that maybe is kept in a basement or storage area and either is not cleaned regularly, and thus provides a place for bugs to hang out and nest temporarily.

Well it might be best to go back to the first post, because my comments may have been confusing. But, from what I gathered from the OP is that what ever it was moved very fast and that it made a 90 degree left turn moving to the lobby, Kittens also said it was about the size of a foot ball or basket ball. Now none of that sounds like a group of bugs moving from an elevator past them down the hall way.

Peace

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

But, from what I gathered from the OP is that what ever it was moved very fast and that it made a 90 degree left turn moving to the lobby, Kittens also said it was about the size of a foot ball or basket ball. Now none of that sounds like a group of bugs moving from an elevator past them down the hall way.

Right, my thought as an open-minded skeptic here is that if it was a swarm of bugs then the people involved would have likely recognized it as a swarm of bugs at the time too. 

Edited by papageorge1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/15/2020 at 1:48 AM, Hankenhunter said:

Any wind would have tore a vapor ball apart and sent streamers. I also trust your judgement.  I've read too many of your posts to think otherwise. To bad you couldn't have snapped a pic. But, it probably would have come out blurred and fuzzy according to Murphy's law. The speed of it is really creepy. Perhaps this is what you saw? Only a black version? Just kidding, Kittens. Please keep us informed. I'm absolutely fascinated by this phenomenon. 

bullet_cat.jpg

No visible means of propulsion? Well I'm not saying it's aliens but... 

• Haha 2

A ball of dust or whatever could easily be pulled out quickly and in a certain direction when the elevator door opens, due to air pressure/drafts. Elevator shafts can be sealed pretty tight until the door opens and air rushes out. I've never seen it happen exactly as described but I have seen it happen with smoke, the door opens and there's a vacuum effect with a WHOOSH. The elevator going up and down exacerbates it and acts like an air piston.

The elevator car itself probably isn't sealed that great, the ones at my work have small gaps around the walls and floor that you can actually see through and into the shaft if you are looking at the correct angle, so airflow can easily travel through the car and out the door.

Edited by moonman
  • Thanks 1

Any chance it could be  a remote controlled drone?  I have seen the articles about the military and DARPA ones that fly like birds and dragonflies.    Going around corners and going fast would be hard for a gas cloud to do and remain coherent.    Somebody in your building worthy of surveillance maybe?  Rich geeky computer kid operating his new toy and freaking out the neighbors?

• Thanks 1

On 6/15/2020 at 10:55 PM, openozy said:

I can't see it being smoke off something,it would be hot and heat rises, it doesn't stay in a cluster and move around corners.

I agree. I've never seem smoke behave that way.

• Like 1

On 6/15/2020 at 10:59 PM, micahc said:

I missed this post, or read it too quickly.  This explains it.  Whether the lady wants to admit it or not, something on her cart spilled onto the floor. It seems it was a powder of some sort, dry enough to be tossed in the wind.  Maybe something she would be embarrassed by or just embarrassed she was so clumsy. It would explain the behavior of the cloud. The pile got picked up as the doors open and the wind was created by the doors in the lobby.  The powder stayed together as a cloud just long enough to turn the corner.  I was thinking earlier things like toner, talc containing products, etc. Do your apartments have fire places, or can people grill on their balconies? Could this lady have been doing something against apt rules, and was removing ashes and spilled them?  If it had been a sinister force, I doubt it would have sat quietly under the cart.  I hate to say it, but the lady is the culprit.  Either that or you missed the person on just before. this is definitely a human at work, probably just an accident conspiring with the drafts of the apt building.

There did not appear to be anything there before the woman with the cart got on, so it's highly probably that she is indeed the culprit. She itemised the contents of the cart (which I listed earlier). She wasn't transporting anything illegal, just some items from another resident who was moving into a retirement home. One thing I forgot to mention (and it might be key) is that she also had a fiddle leaf fig plant. I did not see the plant in the video, but it's possible that some of the soil spilled over onto the floor. Assuming it was really dry, it would probably be light enough to gather and move as it did.

To answer your other questions, no fire places and no grilling allowed on balconies. But if anyone was doing something illegal, it would probably be her. She is in her 70s, and a real character. She's the first to break the rules, but also the first to snitch on anyone else who does. Bless her. And was it you who asked if the security video was continuous? The answer is yes. Some of the cameras are activated by motion detectors, but not sure if the ones in the elevator are among them.

On 6/16/2020 at 12:52 AM, ChrLzs said:

My mind is just as twisted as yours. I thought of that possibility also as she did have some 'vases' on the cart. And yes, knowing Francis, that is indeed something she would cover up. But imagine her shock going home and discovering that one of the vases she had purchased came with an added bonus. The woman the items originally belonged to is now in the retirement home. Her grand daughters are the ones cleaning out her apartment, so it's a mistake they could easily have made.

On 6/16/2020 at 1:29 AM, Manwon Lender said:

@ChrLzs @micahc  While both of your ideas certainly seem possible, the OP clearly says that when the elevator doors opened what ever it was speed out and made a 90 Degree turn around a corner, now dust, smoke, or anything else I have hear could not do that at the rate of speed it apparently happened at. In addition, according to the OP  when the video was reviewed, whatever it was could be seen on the floor near the maids cart, then she exited and it remained in the elevator until it reached the OP's floor and rushed out.

Peace           

I'm no scientist, but perhaps the woman and the cart 'buffered' the air circulation and perhaps more of a 'vortex' or whatever the right term is was created when the elevator stood empty? The other possibility is that the wind in the elevator shafts fluctuates, and perhaps the perfect storm was created when the doors opened the second time. I don't know, but do agree that it was really strange how it shot out of the elevator the way it did. We really did not have an opportunity to see it with in any detail. As mentioned earlier, my initial thought was that it was a small animal, although it was clear a second later that it wasn't. It's unfortunate that the flooring and bottom half of the elevator walls are black marble. The lobby and adjoining areas all have black marble flooring as well, and the walls are dark. All that, coupled with the speed of it, made it really difficult to make out any of its details.

• Thanks 1

On 6/16/2020 at 9:12 AM, Manwon Lender said:

Well it might be best to go back to the first post, because my comments may have been confusing. But, from what I gathered from the OP is that what ever it was moved very fast and that it made a 90 degree left turn moving to the lobby, Kittens also said it was about the size of a foot ball or basket ball. Now none of that sounds like a group of bugs moving from an elevator past them down the hall way.

Peace

On 6/16/2020 at 12:03 PM, papageorge1 said:

Right, my thought as an open-minded skeptic here is that if it was a swarm of bugs then the people involved would have likely recognized it as a swarm of bugs at the time too. 

It was definitely denser than the usual swarm of bugs I've run into. The other thing that occurred to me is that the bugs would have been attracted to the lights in the ceiling. They would not have hovered near the floor.

21 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

Any chance it could be  a remote controlled drone?  I have seen the articles about the military and DARPA ones that fly like birds and dragonflies.    Going around corners and going fast would be hard for a gas cloud to do and remain coherent.    Somebody in your building worthy of surveillance maybe?  Rich geeky computer kid operating his new toy and freaking out the neighbors?

The rich geeky computer kids in my building are adorable and extremely polite. It's alway's "good morning/afternoon miss", followed with an equally polite and pleasant chat about school, summer holidays and stuff. Come to think of it, they're too polite. Eddie Haskell polite. I shouldn't rule them out that quickly LOL. But no, they would never do anything like that. Besides, if they do have such a drone, it's one that's capable of disappearing, and in that case, I want one too!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, moonman said:

A ball of dust or whatever could easily be pulled out quickly and in a certain direction when the elevator door opens, due to air pressure/drafts. Elevator shafts can be sealed pretty tight until the door opens and air rushes out. I've never seen it happen exactly as described but I have seen it happen with smoke, the door opens and there's a vacuum effect with a WHOOSH. The elevator going up and down exacerbates it and acts like an air piston.

The elevator car itself probably isn't sealed that great, the ones at my work have small gaps around the walls and floor that you can actually see through and into the shaft if you are looking at the correct angle, so airflow can easily travel through the car and out the door.

That makes a great deal of sense. It gets extremely windy where I'm at, and you should hear that wind in the elevator shafts. It sometimes makes you feel as though you're being transported into a Victorian horror movie. But the elevator itself is well sealed for the most part, but there's only so much you can seal around the doors. The pressure is felt every time they open or close.