Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Confirming Einstein’s Most Fortunate Thought

Waspie_Dwarf

An international research team including astronomers from the Max Planck Institute for Radio Astronomy (MPIfR) in Bonn determined with extremely high precision that gravity causes neutron stars and white dwarf stars to fall with equal accelerations. They did this by precisely tracking the motion of pulsar PSR J0337+1715, a neutron star that is a member of an unusual triple star system. Their findings – achieved by a new rigorous method and a combination of radio telescope data with latest insight from gravitational wave detectors – provide the strongest test ever of one of the most fundamental predictions of general relativity: that gravity attracts all objects with the same acceleration, without regard for their composition, density or the strength of their own gravitational field.

Einstein himself called this insight his “most fortunate thought” since it let him eventually to the theory of general relativity

arrow3.gif  Read More: Max Planck Institute for Radio Astronomy

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

I love verification like this. :tu:

Especially with idiotic "contactees" and the even stupider Urantia Papers saying he was wrong. :lol:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Piney said:

I love verification like this. :tu:

Especially with idiotic "contactees" and the even stupider Urantia Papers saying he was wrong. :lol:

History may still prove him wrong, after all Einstein usurped Newton, but it will be as a result of better science, not a result of crackpots.

• Thanks 3

16 minutes ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

History may still prove him wrong, after all Einstein usurped Newton, but it will be as a result of better science, not a result of crackpots.

I'm under the opinion he's spot on a about gravity being an "indentation" made by mass in spacetime and there isn't different "types". :yes:

Edited by Piney
Where's the red paint?
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Piney said:

I'm under the opinion he's spot on a about gravity being an "indentation" made by mass in spacetime and there isn't different "types". :yes:

Yes, but...

There is a huge problem with physics. Relativity and quantum theory are both backed up by experimentation and observation, yet they currently can not be merged into a single, compatible theory. 

Newton, initially seemed to have all the answers, then discrepancies between theory and observation began to creep in (most famously with the orbit of Mercury). Einstein solved these problems and Newton's theories were replaced... yet they remain accurate enough that the trajectories of interplanetary spacecraft are still calculated using Newtonian physics.

Currently there are no such discrepancies between Einstein and observation, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. It is possible that future increased precision and accuracy will discover discrepancies, then a new, better theory maybe needed. Such discrepancies, if thet exist, could lead to a unified theory of quantum relativity. 

This is exactly why science never stops. Why it never accepts a theory as absolutely truth. Scientists will continue to invent new tests and new experiments because it only takes one unexpected result to change our understanding of the universe. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

Yes, but...

There is a huge problem with physics. Relativity and quantum theory are both backed up by experimentation and observation, yet they currently can not be merged into a single, compatible theory. 

Newton, initially seemed to have all the answers, then discrepancies between theory and observation began to creep in (most famously with the orbit of Mercury). Einstein solved these problems and Newton's theories were replaced... yet they remain accurate enough that the trajectories of interplanetary spacecraft are still calculated using Newtonian physics.

Currently there are no such discrepancies between Einstein and observation, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. It is possible that future increased precision and accuracy will discover discrepancies, then a new, better theory maybe needed. Such discrepancies, if thet exist, could lead to a unified theory of quantum relativity. 

This is exactly why science never stops. Why it never accepts a theory as absolutely truth. Scientists will continue to invent new tests and new experiments because it only takes one unexpected result to change our understanding of the universe. 

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants" is a true today as it was when Newton said it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sci-nerd said:

If we could just find that damn graviton!!

I hid it and I'm not telling where it is. :rolleyes:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, sci-nerd said:

If we could just find that damn graviton!!

When did you last have it?

2 minutes ago, ChrLzs said:

When did you last have it?

My uncle Isaac hid it in an apple. It has not been seen since.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

My uncle Isaac hid it in an apple. It has not been seen since.

Oh noooo-oo...  It's well known that malic acid dissolves gravitons.  That's the end of that then - we can't afford another one....

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

I hid it and I'm not telling where it is. :rolleyes:

We know where it is, "uncle Isaac", and you ruined it! Uncle Jesus ChrLzs says it:

7 minutes ago, ChrLzs said:

Oh noooo-oo...  It's well known that malic acid dissolves gravitons.  That's the end of that then - we can't afford another one....

Who's gonna pay for the LHC??? I suggest uncle Higgs, since he's the only one who had any fun from it.

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

Thanks very much for sharing this, but I am not surprised by the results of this experiment. While I believe that Einstein's Special and General theories of Relative are accurate, I also believe that some changes at some point in the future may come as mankind's knowledge grows. Like Newton did in his day, Einstein has taken what he learned from Newton, made changes to some of it and expanded other parts of it. But I think that these theories are similar to a game of Football in this respect, each receiver can only take the ball so far,  based upon the knowledge available in their respective times, combined with their unique insight and their brilliant minds. But in my opinion we still have not made the final touch down, there is so much more we need to understand before that can happen. Please let me be clear, in no way am I taking anything away from the contributions both these men have made, I just am not convinced that Einstein's theories of Special and General Relativity are all there is to discover concerning the application of Physics in deciphering all aspects of our Physical World, our Solar system, and our Universe.  

Peace

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 1