Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

My monster catfish story

UM-Bot

On 6/15/2020 at 4:55 PM, Tatetopa said:

Ought to see some of the sturgeon they pull out of the Colombia.  The big ones have to go back now.  Catfish do take some live prey, maybe a big one could challenge a diver.  It is hard to guess which is the ugliest of those two fish or how either one eating all the stuff off the bottom could taste good.

I caught a 6 foot Sturgeon in the Rogue river. It was actually 1/4 inch short of 6 feet, and to this day I regret not throwing it back. This was around 1990. I have a pic, but this forums picture size is a joke, and it will not post.

Even back than, you can only keep one, and it had to be larger than 48", and smaller than 72" to keep. Everything else goes back. They are prehistoric fish. Live well into their 100's. Not a lot known about them. They do go from the rivers to the oceans, and back in again. They are not sure why, or for how long.

sturgeon.jpg

That's a big  one none the less. Did you  have it mounted, or did you eat it. They can be eaten and in the past people would  smoke them just as they do salmon.Never have seen any monster catfish myself, but have heard the stories.I think I remember the story of the divers at Canyon Lake. We would go fishing mainly as a kid to Blanco State park, north of San Antonio, but mainly we caught perch and sunfish. My dad would take them home, and he'd cook them up for the family.