Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Trying to identify a song

Golden Duck

After @acute's show at trying to identify a movie - I'd thought why not give this a go.

I regularly get parts of a this particular song stuck in my head. 

I've tried searching the lyrics.  But I only know two lines and they are obviously mondegreens - misheard lyrics.

So the misheard lyrics go something like

Try to sleep (oo-oo-ooh)
Try to sleep (Yeah) 
[deep bass voice]

I've tried searching "drive asleep"; but I get nothing..

There's a, perhaps overdriven, guitar riff that goes up three notes up a scale threes notes, then drops the starting note goes up three notes, the last three note sort of sound like a pull-off then a hammer on.

There also this synthesised slide-whistle sounding beat that happens happens in threes.

I've tried humming the riff into Soundhound; but, mere mention of that act is as public as that will EVER get.

16 minutes ago, HandsomeGorilla said:

Try to Sleep by Attic Abasement? 

No it's  70's rock. (I think)

The guitar riff I would describe as the opposite of George Harrison's What Is a Life.  In stead of going down like in WIAL it goes up; and, instead of four notes, it's three.  But it sounds like the same guitar effect.

Edited by Golden Duck

Van Morrison had a song Try for Sleep but it doesn't sound like you described. Perhaps you heard a cover? Is it a slow song?

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, micahc said:

Van Morrison had a song Try for Sleep but it doesn't sound like you described. Perhaps you heard a cover? Is it a slow song?

It's not slow. 

It's one of those songs from somewhere in your childhood, so I'm sure the lyrics in my head are definitely misheard.

4 minutes ago, jules99 said:

Couldnt be Drivers seat?? Sounds a bit like trying for sleep;

I was just going to post this same song :) Good Job !

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, jules99 said:

Couldnt be Drivers seat?? Sounds a bit like trying for sleep;

THAT IS IT!

Thanks.

Edited by Golden Duck
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Golden Duck said:

I regularly get parts of a this particular song stuck in my head. 

Here!!! This one will get it out!!!! :)

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Piney said:

Here!!! This one will get it out!!!! :)

Thankfully to @Harte's wonderful reimagining of Coleridge's Kubla Khan in limerick form is somewhat of an inoculation against your dastardly plan.

Can Harte dance?

Edited by Golden Duck
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Golden Duck said:

Thankfully to @Harte's wonderful reimagining of Coleridge's Kubla Khan in limerick form is somewhat of an inoculation against your dastardly plan.

:huh:

Prepare to be carpet bombed with Bucks Fizz! :o

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Piney said:

:huh:

Prepare to be carpet bombed with Bucks Fizz! :o

Here's a preemptive strike - where I don't give a Buck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Golden Duck said:

Here's a preemptive strike - where I don't give a Buck.

God bless Felix Silla. :nw:

Even if Twiki's head did look like a penis. :unsure2:

• Haha 1

Well, im both surprized and pleased that it was found so quickly :tu:

I have one, duck would you mind if i share it here?

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Golden Duck said:

THAT IS IT!

Thanks.

Here's another one from the same era.  They both got a huge amount of radio airtime:

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, the13bats said:

Well, im both surprized and pleased that it was found so quickly :tu:

I have one, duck would you mind if i share it here?

1 hour ago, Oniomancer said:

Can we co-opt one of these into a general "what's that song" thread?

Using this thread to find other songs is sort of the idea I had in mind.

Hopefully, it can be managed.  It's an inherently funny thing so the ride might be a bit bumpy. 

• Thanks 1

Cool ty. :tu:

I have 2 for now, first one might be easy and just not my genre, its urban hip hop-ish but not down and hard more light funning like fresh prince or digital underground, it was playing in a halloween store, it had fellows talking about mad scientist or witch doctor type story idea, great back beat like will smiths nightmare on my street, feel and while it was being played as a halloween song i dont know that it was just for halloween, the worker said she knew it couldnt recall the name, this was about 6 years ago and if i were to guess the song wouldnt be older than about 1990.

The next is harder, its dreamy vauge in my brain the line is something like "i dont know where she comes from,.... thats why i say.. blah blah, blah blah,.???? " those very well may not be correct words, the feel was like "hey man nice shot" by filter but not as gritty sounding,  but that type of grungy rock, or even pop goth like love and rockets "so alive" Synth pop Hallucination generation, has a line "where did she come from?" But thats not it and GG Allin "bite it you scum", words wise flows and sounds like the one line but the song im thinking of isnt nasty dirty low quailty punk noise.

Ive tried lyrics searches no luck.

1 hour ago, the13bats said:

Cool ty. :tu:

I have 2 for now, first one might be easy and just not my genre, its urban hip hop-ish but not down and hard more light funning like fresh prince or digital underground, it was playing in a halloween store, it had fellows talking about mad scientist or witch doctor type story idea, great back beat like will smiths nightmare on my street, feel and while it was being played as a halloween song i dont know that it was just for halloween, the worker said she knew it couldnt recall the name, this was about 6 years ago and if i were to guess the song wouldnt be older than about 1990.

The Monster Rap?

Also, the second one sounds vaguely familiar. I kinda want to say something by The Offspring?

10 minutes ago, Oniomancer said:

The Monster Rap?

I had forgotten monster mash sister song,

Its like that, but newer and more urban less rockobilly campy.

1 minute ago, Oniomancer said:

Also, the second one sounds vaguely familiar. I kinda want to say something by The Offspring?

Yeah, like one of those type bands, when i played my format is odd, like rock at bike fests but the club stuff was goth, industrial, synth, wave, alternative,  punk,

It wasnt uncommon to hear, lady gaga then a few songs later motorhead, ministry and have a mosh pit slamming, but im pretty much under a rock when it comes to top 40 pop or stuff i didnt play.

And i believe the song wasnt anything i played or at least didnt play much,

It has a weird feel in my head cross filter nice shot with the residents constantinople

2 hours ago, the13bats said:

first one might be easy and just not my genre, its urban hip hop-ish but not down and hard more light funning like fresh prince or digital underground, it was playing in a halloween store, it had fellows talking about mad scientist or witch doctor type story idea, great back beat like will smiths nightmare on my street, feel and while it was being played as a halloween song i dont know that it was just for halloween, the worker said she knew it couldnt recall the name, this was about 6 years ago and if i were to guess the song wouldnt be older than about 1990.

First thought was a horror vibe?

But, maybe this one?  It mentions Halloween in the last first and sample Isacc Hayes' Hung Up On My Baby.