Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Grim reaper-like visitation

UM-Bot

By: Curious33 | Location: Canada

Hoping this is the right place to post this? Looking for any insight or advice to help me make sense of my experience. So, I have always had unusual or unexplainable occurrences happen throughout my life. I apparently told my parents as a young child that there were people sitting on my bed all the time.

More: https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/stories/112393/grim-reaper-like-visitation

• Like 1

I fondly remember a presence as a child all the way through young adulthood, the unique thing about it is that there was this overwhelming sense of calm and something n my head saying, "that's your grandfather making sure you're ok". It could be dark in the room and I'd feel someone sit on the edge of the bed, then they'd get up and leave. I'd immediately feel relieved of anything plaguing my anxious boy thoughts at the time. 

Boy, I sure could use that, these days. 

Writing that made me cry :cry:

Edited by HandsomeGorilla
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

It sounds like you are above the normal in psychic sensitivity. From all the stories and theories I've heard, it seems likely to me that this so-called Grim Reaper type thing is something many have seen and perhaps exists as an archetype in our human collective subconscious. Why you in particular experienced it at this time I have no way of knowing from afar. Just work on keeping your overall mental well-being in trim.

Edited by papageorge1
  • Like 3

If a story takes place while falling asleep or being awakened I have to suggest hypnopompic/hypnagogic hallucinations.

Please google those terms, you may get some answers.

Edited by SecretSanta
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have to agree with SS above,different to seeing grim reaper entities when wide awake as I have.I have a theory that these are a projection of a premonition of doom,maybe only visible to extra sensitive people.

I too am very intuitive about people, whether they are positive or negative, credible or not, my grandmother called it a gift i just see it as being part of my hyper sensitive nervous issues, just perception.

When just falling asleep or waking up the brain can and does do some wild games sometimes,  just last night i was deeply out and nubnub the cat who loves to hop and dart around the room and on us even while sleeping which im used to was up to mischief.

last night i was deeply out and nub jumped on my arm but this time it didnt register it was just my cat, i jumped up screaming very scared asking tina whats wrong, i was sure she had grabbed my arm waking me because something was wrong, it felt like her grabbing me not a cat, but my brain was wrong it was just the cat.

You Could be having hallucinations , the mind. how the brain works cant be trusted, mind and eyes play tricks, it will seem totally real to the person but not be, like mentioned it happens to people just nodding off or waking up,

Since your experences repete perhaps consider setting up a camera while you sleep then you can go back and see what all is going on, im not saying hallucinations can be flimed im not saying if a ghost or reaper exists it can be filmed either but its a start, you can see if you sleep peaceful or restless. 

• 3 weeks later...

1. Teenager = Drama

2. Seeing or hearing things as a child may indicate very mild childhood schizophrenia.Some doctors claim this is most often outgrown and is a form of very mild autism, while other doctors say, you can't outgrow it. However, when I was 5 and we had guests staying with us, I usually slept with my dad in my parents bedroom. It was only in this room that I would hear voices. They would overlap, so I couldn't understand them and they would start and a whisper and get louder and louder until it was almost deafening. Thing was, I thought this was normal at the time and didn't really think much of it. It was annoying and kept me awake, but once it hit 11, it would stop. Never told anyone about it, that's how normal I thought it was. It wasn't until much later that i mentioned it to a family doctor who told me that I had a very mind condition some kids get called childhood schizophrenia. He asked if I experienced anything else, to which I said no and even that stopped within a few months. Told me I outgrew it. Don't know if any of that would hold up in court, because if you google it, finding anything about outgrowing it is not easy, although I did find a couple "experts" who swear it's entirely possible.

3. Teenager = Watching too much paranormal TV and video.

4. Sleep associated events are probably the most common occurrence when a story takes place in a bedroom.

5. Teenager = The coolest pop culture thing you can share with friends and what's more pop culture than this paranormal craze?.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jbondo said:

1. Teenager = Drama

2. Seeing or hearing things as a child may indicate very mild childhood schizophrenia.Some doctors claim this is most often outgrown and is a form of very mild autism, while other doctors say, you can't outgrow it. However, when I was 5 and we had guests staying with us, I usually slept with my dad in my parents bedroom. It was only in this room that I would hear voices. They would overlap, so I couldn't understand them and they would start and a whisper and get louder and louder until it was almost deafening. Thing was, I thought this was normal at the time and didn't really think much of it. It was annoying and kept me awake, but once it hit 11, it would stop. Never told anyone about it, that's how normal I thought it was. It wasn't until much later that i mentioned it to a family doctor who told me that I had a very mind condition some kids get called childhood schizophrenia. He asked if I experienced anything else, to which I said no and even that stopped within a few months. Told me I outgrew it. Don't know if any of that would hold up in court, because if you google it, finding anything about outgrowing it is not easy, although I did find a couple "experts" who swear it's entirely possible.

3. Teenager = Watching too much paranormal TV and video.

4. Sleep associated events are probably the most common occurrence when a story takes place in a bedroom.

5. Teenager = The coolest pop culture thing you can share with friends and what's more pop culture than this paranormal craze?.

Doctors, like puting labels on anything that is beyond their understanding and prescribing drugs for it.Most are just salesmen for pharmaceutical companies.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are two things that caught my attention: One, you said you turned on the lights and TV. If television has been a source of comfort for you in the past, well, I think those days may be over. For the last six months, television has been a steady flow of pandemic fears, civil unrest, and uncivil politics. Likewise, your  ‘paranormal’ experiences were never fearful or unsettling before, but now they are. I think your mind may be transferring your daytime fears into your nighttime dreams. That’s completely normal, considering what the world has been experiencing since January.

There’s another thread that talks about Broken Heart Syndrome occurring more frequently as stress levels rise. Perhaps your stress is manifesting as a threatening, paranormal, Grim Reaper figure because your mind has been on that track since childhood.

You also said: “I have a very strong ability to read negative vibes from a person almost automatic”. I don’t think you should label this as ‘paranormal’. The spectrum for reading social cues stretches from sociopaths’ abilities to spot weaknesses in their human prey, to certain autistic people’s inability to read any social cues at all. I’d guess you’re a emotionally sensitive person with an above average IQ who can easily spot social cues.
Just speculation. I wish you the best.

children and teens are more susceptible to visions of paranormal. This is reported in too many cases through our history.  

Jbondo = just here on this site to call BS flags on everyone’s posts.  Enjoys talking down to anything he/she can’t explain and wants to be super negative.  Why are you on a site like this???  Did YouTube commenters kicked you out for hate baiting?

Reaper sighting or visions are typically connected with death (yes, it’s that simple).  It doesn’t mean yours or a friends or even a family member.  The death stigma can be attached to other things such as pets/animals or a way of life. Sometimes a deathly visage can be an indication of massive change in your own life, the death of a habit or way of living which is about to end. Shadowy figures that disappear are fairly common in many stories and incidents.   From your description, it doesn’t seem to want to harm you, only let you know that something is coming and soon.  It isn’t necessarily negative, just a major change. The next time it happens, if it does, try to keep yourself calm and ask it to “explain its purpose for visiting  You?”.   Most paranormal entities are able to react to vocal tones and/or words.  Acknowledging it’s presence may also end its visits if it knows you are aware of it. 

be safe, good luck. 

Edited by Darkmattermonkey

8 hours ago, Darkmattermonkey said:

Jbondo = just here on this site to call BS flags on everyone’s posts.  Enjoys talking down to anything he/she can’t explain and wants to be super negative.  Why are you on a site like this???  Did YouTube commenters kicked you out for hate baiting?

Well, I do have an extensive record of investigation and analysis of many things paranormal. In fact, city ghost hunting groups used to come to us when they wanted to verify something. Not everything is explainable, but there are usually red flags that show up. I've heard more of these stories than I can count and usually from people who are terrified. The majority end up having zero to do with the paranormal and frankly, once I do the leg work and explain their situation, the problem goes away and they can finally sleep at night. No, I'm not special. It's from mere repetition that I find what I find in these stories.

By the way, I've never called anyone a liar because many truly believe that what is happening is paranormal. However, again, in almost every case, it's not. Out of every case I investigated, there is less than a handful which were beyond understanding. One of which was a girl who contacted me about a shadow man. I never found a rational explanation for her and believe what happened to her (and her friend), was real. By the way, I followed up with her over a period of time and not once did her story change. So, as you can see, there is more to me than "calling BS flags".

What would you have me do, ignore the obvious and jump right in with both feet? Sorry, not going to happen. If something is truly legitimate, I'll have no problem saying so. There are things that mystify me in what I term "alternative media". They just happen to be very rare.

I have a right to my opinion, just like you.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Interesting story.  I know this is older, but I'd like to ask, assuming you can recall, is whether or not you can recall a color for this figure.  As in, clothing.  Many state that a grim reaper figure is robed in black, and I'd love to hear whether or not you agree with that.  Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/16/2020 at 8:23 PM, UM-Bot said:

Death is our eternal companion. It is always to our left, an arm's length behind us. Death is the only wise adviser that a warrior has. Whenever he feels that everything is going wrong and he's about to be annihilated, he can turn to his death and ask if that is so. His death will tell him that he is wrong, that nothing really matters outside its touch. His death will tell him, I haven't touched you yet.'

Carlos Castaneda

Maybe stop reading anything written by Castaneda.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3