Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Massive coal burning linked to 'Great Dying'

Still Waters

The most severe extinction in Earth's history looks to have been preceded and enabled by a colossal coal fire lit by volcanism over 250 million years ago, according to new research.

The Permian-Triassic extinction, also known as the 'Great Dying', constitutes the deadliest of all our planet's mass extinction events. When it took place, approximately 252 million years ago, an estimated 96 percent of marine species were wiped out, alongside 70 percent of terrestrial vertebrates.

What could cause such a sweeping die-off across so many of Earth's creatures? The chief culprit is a giant volcanic event that occurred in the lead-up to the Great Dying; it produced a gargantuan region of volcanic rock in Russia called the Siberian Traps.

https://www.sciencealert.com/massive-coal-burning-linked-to-great-dying-the-worst-extinction-in-earth-s-history

https://pubs.geoscienceworld.org/gsa/geology/article/doi/10.1130/G47365.1/587319/Field-evidence-for-coal-combustion-links-the-252

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Siberia was it's own volcanic island when that flood basalt event occurred. It was probably located where Iceland is right now was created by the same mantle plume so I have a problem with this theory. I think it was just the gases from eruption itself which was massive and lasted thousands of years. 

• Like 1

I am beginning to have a real phobia about geological events.  It manages to hit a note of timescale cosmicism, and shocking natural disasters that makes me very uneasy.  Don't get me started on supervolcanoes.

• Like 1