Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Flushing toilets create clouds of virus

Still Waters

Researchers used a computer simulation to show how a flushing toilet can create a cloud of virus-containing aerosol droplets that is large and widespread and lasts long enough that the droplets could be breathed in by others.

With recent studies showing the novel coronavirus that causes COVID-19 can survive in the human digestive tract and show up in feces of the infected, this raises the possibility the disease could be transmitted with the use of toilets.

Toilet flushing creates a great deal of turbulence, and qualitative evidence suggests this can spread both bacteria and viruses. The public, however, remains largely unaware of this infection pathway, since few quantitative studies have been carried out to investigate this possible mechanism.

https://phys.org/news/2020-06-flushing-toilets-clouds-virus-containing-particles.html

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I just can’t understand those who flush with the lid up.  Madness.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/17/2020 at 11:36 AM, Susanc241 said:

yea, however bathroom in commercial buildings, and offices almost never have covers, like your house toilet does, any public\commercial bathroom 99% will not have covers, and i agree they should,  and those are the bathrooms most people go to during the day, 

Edited by aztek
  • Like 4

Up to 12 feet with each flush.  Way before covid, I would tell people to not take their water bottles into the bathroom, ick

• Like 1

On 6/17/2020 at 10:36 AM, Susanc241 said:

My wife doesn't and she also keeps toothbrushes covered so the flushed vapors cannot settle onto them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, aztek said:

yea, however bathroom in commercial buildings, and offices almost never have covers, like your house toilet does, any public\commercial bathroom 99% will not have covers, and i agree they should,  and those are the bathrooms most people go to during the day, 

Yes, you are quite right and I think they should have covers/lids.  I always flush while holdIng my breath until I am out of the stall in toilets that don’t have lids.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, and then said:

My wife doesn't and she also keeps toothbrushes covered so the flushed vapors cannot settle onto them.

I have always kept ours in drawers.  Just to be safe.  And rinse them with hot water