Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bipartisan Conservation bill passed

spartan max2

A bipartisan Conservation bill passed without alot of media hoopla. 

Passed with 72 votes and expected to pass the house quickly.

Some good things.

The Great American Outdoors Act, which would next need to be taken up in the House before it could go to the President for his signature, passed the Senate by a vote of 73 to 25.

The legislation would fully and permanently fund a conservation program known as the Land and Water Conservation Fund, which was set up by Congress in the 1960s and has been chronically underfunded. The measure will require mandatory funding of the program at a level of $900 million annually.

The legislation would also dedicate funding for backlogged maintenance projects on federal lands run by the National Park Service, the Forest Service and other agencies.

https://amp-cnn-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/06/17/politics/conservation-legislation-senate/index.html?amp_js_v=a3&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA%3D#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2F2020%2F06%2F17%2Fpolitics%2Fconservation-legislation-senate%2Findex.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Sounds good.  It does strike me as odd timing given the current financial crisis we are having- unless it is supposed to spur jobs and the economy somehow?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Gromdor said:

Sounds good.  It does strike me as odd timing given the current financial crisis we are having- unless it is supposed to spur jobs and the economy somehow?

Yeah seems odd. From skimming it I think the timing is just because it was something that has been in the works for a while and just now got finished up.

Legislation moves slow.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

Based on emails I get from Martin Heinrich, this has been in the works for a long time.  It was scheduled before any virus issues came up.  I may have posted at least on of those emails in my Letters From Martin Heinrich thread.

• Thanks 2

I wish they'd follow through on hammering those companies that endlessly call cell phone numbers with sales pitches.  They've been talking about it for over a year.  I guess we know who gives them money...

20 minutes ago, and then said:

I wish they'd follow through on hammering those companies that endlessly call cell phone numbers with sales pitches.  They've been talking about it for over a year.  I guess we know who gives them money...

Most of those companies operate outside the U.S.

• Like 2