Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hi all.

Leon G

Welcome Leon!
I'm a writer as well, and I can definitely confirm that there are a lot of very knowledgeable people in these forums who have a vast amount of wisdom on many topics :)

• Like 6

Welcome to the forum @Leon G

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Orphalesion said:

Welcome Leon!
I'm a writer as well, and I can definitely confirm that there are a lot of very knowledgeable people in these forums who have a vast amount of wisdom on many topics :)

Good to hear :D

I know a bit of some things but not enough to make it credible and realistic. Doing lots of research, mostly that raises even more questions. :D

What genre you write in? 

Edited by Leon G
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, Leon G said:

Good to hear :D

I know a bit of some things but not enough to make it credible and realistic. Doing lots of research, mostly that raises even more questions. :D

What genre you write in? 

Well I don't need to tell you that research is a huge part of any form of writing ;-)

As for genres I mostly write in various sub-genres of fantasy as well, sci-fi is harder for me, because I'm not very interested in technology, but on occasion I dabble in it.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

Well I don't need to tell you that research is a huge part of any form of writing ;-)

As for genres I mostly write in various sub-genres of fantasy as well, sci-fi is harder for me, because I'm not very interested in technology, but on occasion I dabble in it.

Fantasy is a bit easyer than Sci-fi indeed, certainly because you can invent things yourself which does not even have to excist. Sci-fi and certainly when you want a certain realism in it is more difficult. 

The set up I'm working on know has Sci¨fi and fantasy in it. Although I try to avoid the handwaving magic stuff as much as possible :D

Then to think I actualy started writing thrillers at one time. :D

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Leon G said:

Fantasy is a bit easyer than Sci-fi indeed, certainly because you can invent things yourself which does not even have to excist. Sci-fi and certainly when you want a certain realism in it is more difficult. 

The set up I'm working on know has Sci¨fi and fantasy in it. Although I try to avoid the handwaving magic stuff as much as possible :D

Then to think I actualy started writing thrillers at one time. :D

I mean, in fantasy you don't want to go "a wizard did it!" "it's magic" all the time and you still have to ground it in reality so that the reader isn't lost. But yeah it's sometimes easier to have fanciful things in Fantasy, as long as you manage to have them make sense within the world you created, than in Sci-Fi. If you don't ground the fantasy you run into the danger of the story becoming a random events plot because anything can happen at any time.
With SciFi it depends on the genre even more, like Cyberpunk is fairly easy to write, imho, or stuff like the Expanse or Dune where it's less about the science per se than it is about people and society and culture. But I could never write the type of really hard scifi that really delves into scientific theory. 
And well, there's no law against writing scifi/fantasy thrillers, is there? Ever thought about that? ;-)

• Like 4

Welcome to UM Leon G :st 

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

I mean, in fantasy you don't want to go "a wizard did it!" "it's magic" all the time and you still have to ground it in reality so that the reader isn't lost. But yeah it's sometimes easier to have fanciful things in Fantasy, as long as you manage to have them make sense within the world you created, than in Sci-Fi. If you don't ground the fantasy you run into the danger of the story becoming a random events plot because anything can happen at any time.
With SciFi it depends on the genre even more, like Cyberpunk is fairly easy to write, imho, or stuff like the Expanse or Dune where it's less about the science per se than it is about people and society and culture. But I could never write the type of really hard scifi that really delves into scientific theory. 
And well, there's no law against writing scifi/fantasy thrillers, is there? Ever thought about that? ;-)

Thouhgt about it yes. But when creating a world even an exicsisting one and reform it (for instance earth but 1.000 years in to the future) you need to tred very carefully in making it. The science available (mostly derived from already excisting yet only in theory stuff) they dystopia (which politics are in place and who is in control and the fact how they got towards that system) and the fantasy part like other species or how did humans evolve. Than the thriller effect implementing. Not an easy task. And so far as I know not done very often. :D

• Like 2

Welcome Leon I’m looking forward to reading some of stories... 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, JVG said:

Welcome Leon I’m looking forward to reading some of stories... 

Most of my work is in Dutch. But I am working on an English one as well at this moment. Will take some time tho since I am still working on the set up and research.

• Like 2

Welcome.

Let me know if you need feedback in scientific matters.

• Like 3

Hello! :st

• Like 2