Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hey guys, check this one out

preacherman76

Welcome to yet another episode of strange things that happen at preachman’s house. Seems like once a year or so something odd, and seemingly unexplainable happens at my house. Well last night was a good one. 

I gotta skip ahead a little for the dramatic effect lol. This morning my 15 year old son tells that last night he found himself in a situation where he wakes up to see this small black blob like thing is floating right next to him. Oh, gotta back up a sec. He has one of those tent type things that you put underneath the mattress on his bed. So this blob, suddenly flys behind his head on the outside of the tent, and starts shaking the tent violently. He even reaches up and grabs the tent to try and stop it from shaking. 

Now I know what you are thinking. Some type of sleep paralysis experience. Here is the thing though, now I gotta tell you the same story from my POV. 

Its 3 am. I wake up to use the bathroom and to get a drink. So I’m in the kitchen when suddenly I hear this crazy ruckus coming from his room. Like this violent thrashing around. In the middle of it I hear my son call out for his mother. I start walking towards his room, sound still going. Then just before the sound stops I hear him really yell out for his mom. 

I open the door. I see him holding on to the edges of his tent, with a look of terror on his face. We sat talking about it for the next hour or so, till he felt comfortable enough to go back to sleep. 

Here is what’s bothering me. I heard the tent thrash. Hard. He didn’t dream or hallucinate it. That happened. 

Not saying this is paranormal, but definitely intrigued, and wanted to make a record of it in case anything else happens. Thanks for stopping in. Questions and comments welcome. 

Edited by preacherman76
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

What’s to say he didn’t thrash the tent around himself while hysterical?

And that blob from @Kittens Are Jerks elevator may be on the loose again!

• Haha 4

Interesting one.  I'm not sure what kinda of tent you are referring to that is under a mattress but I think I get the general picture.  The most obvious thing that stands out from a skeptical point of view is the sleep/waking up part, and possibly that he's right in the adolescence/teenage years where hormones are crazy and sleep is needed more than ever. 

I used to, I think right around the same age as your son in fact, sleep over at my dad's in a bedroom in the basement which had no clock or anything and was pitch-black when the door was closed and the lights were out.  Several times I woke up with me standing with my hands against the wall I think looking for how to get out because I couldn't see anything; I don't recall all the specifics of what I thought but I do know that part of a dream was still in my head and causing me to be afraid or stressed about it.  Once I fully woke up I knew what was going on and the fear/stress disappeared and I could find the door, but I'm pretty sure at least once my dad had mentioned he heard something knocking or pounding on the walls in the basement, which was me doing this not fully awake.  I know some people get the 'night terrors' but these episodes of mine like your son's I'd guess didn't appear to be because of that, I had never had this kind of experience before or since.

Can't explain the black blob of course.  Just curious, your son's bedroom is light enough at 3 am for him to be able to see a black blob?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

One doesn't always wake up all at once from a dream. Movements like shaking the tent would be inhibited during sleep, but not necessarily when halfway awake. The black blob could have been a dream, the reaction to which was to begin waking, calling out and shaking the tent.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

I gotta skip ahead a little for the dramatic effect lol. This morning my 15 year old son tells that last night he found himself in a situation where he wakes up to see this small black blob like thing is floating right next to him. Oh, gotta back up a sec. He has one of those tent type things that you put underneath the mattress on his bed. So this blob, suddenly flys behind his head on the outside of the tent, and starts shaking the tent violently. He even reaches up and grabs the tent to try and stop it from shaking. 

Don't know if you've seen it, but I, too, posted a story about a black blob thing a couple of days ago. Your son's experience, however, is quite different. I'm really sorry he had such a terrifying night and hope that he's now got over it. As for an explanation, I'm inclined to agree with what some of the other members here have suggested: the blob was part of a nightmare, the rest, including the shaking of the tent, was your son's reaction to it. Much the same way a person might thrash about whilst waking up from a bad dream.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, papageorge1 said:

What’s to say he didn’t thrash the tent around himself while hysterical?

And that blob from @Kittens Are Jerks elevator may be on the loose again!

Well, as you could imagine, I had him go over this experience with a fine tooth comb. The thing that caused him to become hysterical, was the thrashing of the tent. That went on for a few seconds, as I was making my way towards his room, before he tried to stop the thrashing by grabbing the tent. According to him, he watched it happen for several seconds before he even tried to stop it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Liquid Gardens said:

Interesting one.  I'm not sure what kinda of tent you are referring to that is under a mattress but I think I get the general picture.  The most obvious thing that stands out from a skeptical point of view is the sleep/waking up part, and possibly that he's right in the adolescence/teenage years where hormones are crazy and sleep is needed more than ever. 

I used to, I think right around the same age as your son in fact, sleep over at my dad's in a bedroom in the basement which had no clock or anything and was pitch-black when the door was closed and the lights were out.  Several times I woke up with me standing with my hands against the wall I think looking for how to get out because I couldn't see anything; I don't recall all the specifics of what I thought but I do know that part of a dream was still in my head and causing me to be afraid or stressed about it.  Once I fully woke up I knew what was going on and the fear/stress disappeared and I could find the door, but I'm pretty sure at least once my dad had mentioned he heard something knocking or pounding on the walls in the basement, which was me doing this not fully awake.  I know some people get the 'night terrors' but these episodes of mine like your son's I'd guess didn't appear to be because of that, I had never had this kind of experience before or since.

Can't explain the black blob of course.  Just curious, your son's bedroom is light enough at 3 am for him to be able to see a black blob?

Oh man, something similar used to happen to me when Id sleep in a pitch black room. Difference was Id freak out really bad till I found the door. Then I'd laugh at myself once I realized I was ok.

There is a storage unit business right next door to me. They have the whole place lit up at night. Some light comes through the window when the blinds are open, so yeah theoretically he could have seen something there if it was darker than the room.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

Are questions and comments actually welcome? 

Of course. I'm not making any claims.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bison said:

One doesn't always wake up all at once from a dream. Movements like shaking the tent would be inhibited during sleep, but not necessarily when halfway awake. The black blob could have been a dream, the reaction to which was to begin waking, calling out and shaking the tent.

Of course that's the obvious answer, and certainly possible. If he seemed uncertain of what happened, I wouldn't have even brought this here. Again, not to say this wasn't the case, but he seemed to tell the story like he really had a grasp of how it went down. If he is right, well, I just don't know.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Don't know if you've seen it, but I, too, posted a story about a black blob thing a couple of days ago. Your son's experience, however, is quite different. I'm really sorry he had such a terrifying night and hope that he's now got over it. As for an explanation, I'm inclined to agree with what some of the other members here have suggested: the blob was part of a nightmare, the rest, including the shaking of the tent, was your son's reaction to it. Much the same way a person might thrash about whilst waking up from a bad dream.

I'm gonna go read your story now.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

Of course that's the obvious answer, and certainly possible. If he seemed uncertain of what happened, I wouldn't have even brought this here. Again, not to say this wasn't the case, but he seemed to tell the story like he really had a grasp of how it went down. If he is right, well, I just don't know.

The obvious answer is also the easist one in this instance. Would you find it helpful if we also approached this from the assumption that your son was indeed awake when everything took place? I'd have to give it some thought, but think it might be a useful exercise.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

The obvious answer is also the easist one in this instance. Would you find it helpful if we also approached this from the assumption that your son was indeed awake when everything took place? I'd have to give it some thought, but think it might be a useful exercise.

No no, not at all. Like I said, I'm not saying this is paranormal. I mostly just wanted to keep record of it, and make sure I told the story the way it was conveyed to me. People are certainly free to see it the way they wish.

BTW that was a hell of a story you had. I haven't read all 5 pages yet. Did you ever get a copy of that video?  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

No no, not at all. Like I said, I'm not saying this is paranormal. I mostly just wanted to keep record of it, and make sure I told the story the way it was conveyed to me. People are certainly free to see it the way they wish.

BTW that was a hell of a story you had. I haven't read all 5 pages yet. Did you ever get a copy of that video?  

I have submitted a formal request for it and am waiting on management's reply. We've still not got to the bottom of it.

In your son's case, the only other thought I have is that (assuming a window was open) a bird or bat may have got into his tent, creating a ruckus before flying out again. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

Well, as you could imagine, I had him go over this experience with a fine tooth comb. The thing that caused him to become hysterical, was the thrashing of the tent. That went on for a few seconds, as I was making my way towards his room, before he tried to stop the thrashing by grabbing the tent. According to him, he watched it happen for several seconds before he even tried to stop it.

Of course the possibility that it was all his imagination and thrashing from the start is still out there.

As you know I am a serious skeptic on this forum.

The Papameter does give the paranormal about a 50/50 chance here. A consideration is the past weirdnesses at the Preacher’s residence.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

I have submitted a formal request for it and am waiting on management's reply. We've still not got to the bottom of it.

In your son's case, the only other thought I have is that (assuming a window was open) a bird or bat may have got into his tent, creating a ruckus before flying out again. 

The window was open, but there is a screen.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, preacherman76 said:

Its 3 am. I wake up to use the bathroom and to get a drink. So I’m in the kitchen when suddenly I hear this crazy ruckus coming from his room. Like this violent thrashing around. In the middle of it I hear my son call out for his mother. I start walking towards his room, sound still going. Then just before the sound stops I hear him really yell out for his mom. 

I open the door. I see him holding on to the edges of his tent, with a look of terror on his face. We sat talking about it for the next hour or so, till he felt comfortable enough to go back to sleep. 

Here is what’s bothering me. I heard the tent thrash. Hard. He didn’t dream or hallucinate it. That happened. 

Sounds like a night terror. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Of course the possibility that it was all his imagination and thrashing from the start is still out there.

As you know I am a serious skeptic on this forum.

The Papameter does give the paranormal about a 50/50 chance here. A consideration is the past weirdnesses at the Preacher’s residence.

You know, that's what really has me curious. If you knew this kid, you might feel the same. He has never once called out to us in the middle of the night, not once in 15 years. He has told me of a few common scary imagination type experiences when he was younger, and when I asked why he didn't call for me, he said he just got over it. Really sound sleeper too. And I've never had to tell him to go to bed on time. He's often makes his way to the bedroom before Id expect him to. This was really odd for him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

You know, that's what really has me curious. If you knew this kid, you might feel the same. He has never once called out to us in the middle of the night, not once in 15 years. He has told me of a few common scary imagination type experiences when he was younger, and when I asked why he didn't call for me, he said he just got over it. Really sound sleeper too. And I've never had to tell him to go to bed on time. He's often makes his way to the bedroom before Id expect him to. This was really odd for him.

Alright, 52/48 then. (From 50/50)

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Sounds like a night terror. 

How dare you??B)

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

Could be stress induced. With the corona virus and all the other insanity going one, it might have just bubbled up from his subconscious. 

• Like 2

What is this tent thing you speak of ? Like is the purpose to feel like you are camping?

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

What is this tent thing you speak of ? Like is the purpose to feel like you are camping?

I guess. It was a last minute Christmas gift my wife came up with. Both my boys have it. You lay your mattress in it, and it sits on the box spring. 

Couple of times I’ve slept with my younger son in it while he was sick. I wake up in a panic for a couple seconds when I’m in it not knowing where I am lol. 

Edited by preacherman76
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

32 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

I guess. It was a last minute Christmas gift my wife came up with. Both my boys have it. You lay your mattress in it, and it sits on the box spring. 

Couple of times I’ve slept with my younger son in it while he was sick. I wake up in a panic for a couple seconds when I’m in it not knowing where I am lol. 

I think you just answered yourself.

• Thanks 1