Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Nuclear explosions on Mars

Not Invented Here

"Evidence of largescale nuclear activity on Mars comes from a variety of sources. It has been a long standing paradox that uranium, thorium and potassium, appear hyper-abundant on Mars surface when compared to Mars meteorites, which are believed to sample subsurface rocks.[4] This suggested a thin debris layer on the surface of Mars, enriched in Th, K and U , and dispersed by some impact or explosion"

"This pattern suggested a massive explosion, such as the explosive disassembly of a large natural nuclear reactor, producing a global debris pattern , with a shock wave wrapping around the planet and colliding with itself at the approximate antipode"

"However, the xenon 129 hyper-abundance in the Mars atmosphere is not consistent with the operation of a natural nuclear reactor, which requires moderation and slow neutrons to favor creation of fission on U235 nuclei rather than competing neutron capture processes[6](Fig. 3) . The xenon 129 hyper-abundance is also not consistent with spontaneous fission of U238.(Fig. 3)"

"Other than the decay of large amounts of isolated Iodine 129,-half-life 15.7 million years. Xenon 129 hyper-abundance is caused by fast neutron fission and this is the source of its hyper abundance in the radiogenic component of xenon the Earth’s atmosphere that has appeared since"

Basically this 2015 paper is saying that the amomolies are not caused by reactions found in natural nuclear reactors.

The paper goes on to speculate, but I beleive this is an unexplained mystery?

https://www.hou.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc2015/pdf/2660.pdf

• Like 2

So is this suggesting intelligence may have been involved with mars? Nuclear reactor? The fact that they are saying 'natural' I am thinking not.

Edited by papageorge1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Not Invented Here said:

"Evidence of largescale nuclear activity on Mars comes from a variety of sources. It has been a long standing paradox that uranium, thorium and potassium, appear hyper-abundant on Mars surface when compared to Mars meteorites, which are believed to sample subsurface rocks.[4] This suggested a thin debris layer on the surface of Mars, enriched in Th, K and U , and dispersed by some impact or explosion"

"This pattern suggested a massive explosion, such as the explosive disassembly of a large natural nuclear reactor, producing a global debris pattern , with a shock wave wrapping around the planet and colliding with itself at the approximate antipode"

"However, the xenon 129 hyper-abundance in the Mars atmosphere is not consistent with the operation of a natural nuclear reactor, which requires moderation and slow neutrons to favor creation of fission on U235 nuclei rather than competing neutron capture processes[6](Fig. 3) . The xenon 129 hyper-abundance is also not consistent with spontaneous fission of U238.(Fig. 3)"

"Other than the decay of large amounts of isolated Iodine 129,-half-life 15.7 million years. Xenon 129 hyper-abundance is caused by fast neutron fission and this is the source of its hyper abundance in the radiogenic component of xenon the Earth’s atmosphere that has appeared since"

Basically this 2015 paper is saying that the amomolies are not caused by reactions found in natural nuclear reactors.

https://www.hou.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc2015/pdf/2660.pdf

The problem I have with the paper you presented is that it doesnt explain a method where fissile Materials existing on the Martian surface could have been refined to a point  where they could be combined to reach Critical Mass. Next it also doesnt explain how if the fissile materials were refined to the necessary level where critical mass was possible, what caused the compression needed to start the chain reaction that would create such an explosion as outlined in the paper represented. I simple believe there is another explanation for what occurred because naturally occurring sources of Uranium and other radioactive materials are not even close to a point where they could reach Critical mass without refinement.

I don't know if you believe that state that Mars was once inhabited like Earth and that all life on Mars was destroyed by an Alien Nuclear attack. But I don't believe that is an explanation for why Mars is like it today, however, I do understand that theory has been presented on some websites. If you are alluding to that and you want to discuss it, come out and say that's what you really think. I would be glad to hear your ideas and your opinion on that subject.

Peace   

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Not Invented Here said:

I found the rest of the paper where it is claimed Mar's atmosphere was destroyed by a impact. Which is completely wrong.

https://www.hou.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc2015/eposter/2660.pdf

Then the only other referenceS was in these idiotic pieces of crap, the Epoch Times and Fox.

https://www.theepochtimes.com/evidence-of-ancient-nuclear-explosions-on-mars-says-scientist_1924819.html

https://www.foxnews.com/science/was-there-a-natural-nuclear-blast-on-mars

Edited by Piney
Jarocal beats his stones
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Manwon Lender said:

I don't know if you believe that state that Mars was once inhabited like Earth and that all life on Mars was destroyed by an Alien Nuclear attack. But I don't believe that is an explanation for why Mars is like it today, however, I do understand that theory has been presented on some websites. If you are alluding to that and you want to discuss it, come out and say that's what you really think. I would be glad to hear your ideas and your opinion on that subject.

The rest of the paper is in the link I posted. It makes a false statement. 

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

So is this suggesting intelligence may have been involved with mars? Nuclear reactor?

There is a Theory that has been proposed by some websites and certain individuals that Mars was once inhabited like earth is today, except this occurred Millions of years ago in Mars past. Then there was a War, and Mars was attacked by some Alien Life with Nuclear weapons that were exploded in the Martian Atmosphere with totally wipe out all life and structures on the Martian surface, leave Mars as we see it today. Now, I don't believe this ever happened, but is possible that the threads OP is a believer in that scenario, I can't say for certain.

Here is a link to one of the sites that claim that a Nuclear attack was responsible for the destruction of the Martian Civilization and the planet as a whole, like I said I don't believe this occurred.

https://www.ancient-code.com/scientists-say-that-martians-were-wiped-out-by-nuclear-bombs/ 

Peace

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

In this nonsensical rag Brandenburg claims it was a nuclear war.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/weird/745738/Life-on-Mars-wiped-out-nuclear-war-Dr-John-Brandenburg

and  here's his entry in the woocrap hall of fame.

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/John_Brandenburg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

There is a Theory that has been proposed by some websites and certain individuals that Mars was once inhabited like earth is today, except this occurred Millions of years ago in Mars past. Then there was a War, and Mars was attacked by some Alien Life with Nuclear weapons that were exploded in the Martian Atmosphere with totally wipe out all life and structures on the Martian surface, leave Mars as we see it today. Now, I don't believe this ever happened, but is possible that the threads OP is a believer in that scenario, I can't say for certain.

Here is a link to one of the sites that claim that a Nuclear attack was responsible for the destruction of the Martian Civilization and the planet as a whole, like I said I don't believe this occurred.

https://www.ancient-code.com/scientists-say-that-martians-were-wiped-out-by-nuclear-bombs/ 

Peace

I am tending to believe a lot more than I used to nowadays! This universe is so beyond our understanding.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

I am tending to believe a lot more than I used to nowadays! This universe is so beyond our understanding.

I can certainly agree with you on that subject, but Alien attacks on Mars, Nah!!!!!:D I will not go that far.

Peace Papa

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

I can certainly agree with you on that subject, but Alien attacks on Mars, Nah!!!!!:D I will not go that far.

Peace Papa

No big stretch for me. I already believe earth. And universal life is  connected including humans.

• Like 1

Just now, papageorge1 said:

No big stretch for me. I already believe earth. And universal life is  connected including humans.

I don't really know if I believe that or not, honestly I have never really given it much thought, I will say though that I guess anything is possible!!:)

Peace Dude

When you look into Brandenburg and his idea you see him go from a possibility into loony town. In other words he sees some data tries to find a fit and then just goes off the deep end and  quits looking at the data.

https://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2014/11/22/the-two-faces-of-je-brandenburg

"Artifacts"? "Archeological objects"? What "artifacts"? He's talking about the Face on Mars. Seriously, it's 2014, and a physicist is still accepting that bit of pareidolia. There's no more talk of natural reactors. Instead, he's claiming the Face on Mars was targeted by an alien galactic civilization for nuking. Just the fact that he's still arguing that a lumpy eroded hill looks kinda facelike at low resolution (it doesn't in any of the subsequent clearer photos) as evidence of a humanoid civilization on Mars tells you he's a kook.

I'd also like to  point out a correction to the OP. You wrote " Basically this 2015 paper is saying that the amomolies are not caused by reactions found in natural nuclear reactors. "

Sorry, but this is not a paper. It is a presentation. It was a talk at a conference. No publication and no peer review. It's a way of of the author to share ideas with others and to get feedback.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

And of course, the Daily Mail is happy to promote this crap. It's hard to sink much lower than that. But he's going to. He has announced that he'll be publishing his story in the Journal of Cosmology. That's right, this Journal of Cosmology. I don't think you can dredge any deeper into the muck.

It's depressing. He was a smart guy, now he's just a screwball fruitbat.

And that is the rest of the story.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, stereologist said:

And that is the rest of the story.

Not quite! This is hilarious!!!

Brandenburg did an interview for Supreme Master TV (yeah, it's some weird cult). It just gets crazier.

It is possible the Fermi Paradox means that our interstellar neighborhood contains forces hostile to young, noisy, civilizations such as ourselves, he added. Such hostile forces could range from things as alien as AI (Artificial Intelligence) ‘with a grudge’ against flesh and blood, as in the movie Terminator, all the way to things as sadly familiar to us as a mindless humanoid bureaucrat like Governor Tarkin in Star Wars, eager to destroy planet Alderann as an example to other worlds.

There. You know he's not competent because he can't even spell "Alderaan".

:lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

38 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Hey Papa in the 1970's it was believed that we actually had Aliens living among us, here is one of the people who was suspected of being an Alien Visitor. His name was Ziggy Star dust, and here is song that he performed at that time, let me know what you think of it, I actually liked Ziggies Music and still do.

Peace

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

Hey Papa in the 1970's it was believed that we actually had Aliens living among us, here is one of the people who was suspected of being an Alien Visitor. His name was Ziggy Star dust, and here is song that he performed at that time, let me know what you think of it, I actually liked Ziggies Music and still do.

Peace

Papa loves Bowie. Wore his greatest hits album flat!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, papageorge1 said:

Papa loves Bowie. Wore his greatest hits album flat!!

Me too Papa, I was a teenager in the 1970's, and I was then and still am a big Bowie Fan.

Peace and thanks for your response man.

6 hours ago, Piney said:

I found the rest of the paper where it is claimed Mar's atmosphere was destroyed by a impact. Which is completely wrong.

https://www.hou.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc2015/eposter/2660.pdf

Then the only other referenceS was in these idiotic pieces of crap, the Epoch Times and Fox.

https://www.theepochtimes.com/evidence-of-ancient-nuclear-explosions-on-mars-says-scientist_1924819.html

https://www.foxnews.com/science/was-there-a-natural-nuclear-blast-on-mars

Yeah, ok I hadn’t spotted the presentation there and would have thought twice about posting if I’d seen the ‘face on mars’ stuff.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, stereologist said:

Sorry, but this is not a paper. It is a presentation. It was a talk at a conference. No publication and no peer review. It's a way of of the author to share ideas with others and to get feedback.

True. My mistake.

• Like 3

We're still able to get to Mars for a weekend someday though, yeah? 

~

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Hankenhunter said:

It would explain the radiation. Like this.

Nope, Charles explained the radiation.

If that were the case the Gulf of Mexico and the bottom of Africa would be radioactive. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ChrLzs said:

As usual, it's best to go back to the folks who actually study this stuff...

https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=6631

Summary:
Processes in Mars' surface material can explain why particular xenon (Xe) and krypton (Kr) isotopes are more abundant in the Martian atmosphere than expected, as measured by NASA's Curiosity rover. Cosmic rays striking barium (Ba) or bromine (Br) atoms can alter isotopic ratios of xenon and krypton.

Nice explanation ! We did found a natural nuclear reactor in Gabon. The supposition that some exist on Mars is not far fetched but it's normally the less complicated process that are the culprit, lol !

https://www.iaea.org/newscenter/news/meet-oklo-the-earths-two-billion-year-old-only-known-natural-nuclear-reactor

• The topic was locked