Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NonlocalConsciousness and the Burden of Proof

OverSword

4 minutes ago, OverSword said:

I suppose that nothing as grand as a hive mind is formed. It showed that the participant musicians mind synced up I think. 

Do you play an instrument? Have you ever played with a band? I have and that aspect just seems very incorrect is all. Stuff ups happen, which I honestly think a sync would overcome. There's a certain pleasure in finishing a song well and without any incident but I would think that is more dopamine related?

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Do you play an instrument? Have you ever played with a band? I have and that aspect just seems very incorrect is all. Stuff ups happen, which I honestly think a sync would overcome. There's a certain pleasure in finishing a song well and without any incident but I would think that is more dopamine related?

Yes. I was in a popular band from 87 to 2k. After years we could write songs on the fly that people couldn’t believe we had never played before.

edit: not write but ad-lib

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, OverSword said:

I suppose that nothing as grand as a hive mind is formed. It showed that the participant musicians mind synced up I think. 

Hi Oversword

I don't see it much different than working with someone or even dancing any time humans work in a coordinated harmony to achieve and end is part of our common day. I have gone canoeing with people that were amazing at how they could work with me and the river.

Edited by jmccr8
not sure but did it anyway
  • Like 5

10 hours ago, psyche101 said:

Isn't that the Higgs?

I don't know...I suppose I should do some reading on it... But it's extremely interesting to me that there is now some scientific interest in some non- physical/pre-physical aspect of reality.

• Like 2

Here's an example of a little non local consciousness. These musicians are improvising together in perfect sync eventhough they're many miles apart. Playing together with spirit and soul.

Go to 2:01 to see how it all works.

21 hours ago, OverSword said:

On 9-11, months after swearing off all cable news channels and holding to that, I woke up more than an hour before I normally would have (unemployed at the time) turned on the TV and for some reason purposefully dialed in the number for CNN and five seconds later the second plane hit the WTC and our lives all changed forever. 

Did you though? Because I swear that the day before 9-11 I had a dream about two giant (as in giant) horses collapsing and tiny people falling off them, and thinking on 9-11 - "**** - that's just like my dream" - but memory is not infallible by a long long way, and false memories are common.

So how do we know the experience we had was real and not a hiccup in our very very flawed memories?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

24 minutes ago, Emma_Acid said:

Did you though? Because I swear that the day before 9-11 I had a dream about two giant (as in giant) horses collapsing and tiny people falling off them, and thinking on 9-11 - "**** - that's just like my dream" - but memory is not infallible by a long long way, and false memories are common.

So how do we know the experience we had was real and not a hiccup in our very very flawed memories?

I came across a very negative person with a hunchback and couldn't resist having a pop back saying `the bells, the bells` from the Hunchback of Notre Dame film. Followed by `oh yeah, you just crashed and burned`. The next day when I put the news on the Notre Dame Cathedral was on fire and the roof was crashing in. That one creeped me out.

It seems to be organic thoughts that arise into my mind out of no where, they then have a habit of occurring in some form.

• Like 1

I read it and I guess I really don't understand what they mean by "synchronized". Like are the same patterns of neurons firing?

And if so I don't understand how that is significant.

Like if me and another person are playing the same song I would imagine our neuron patterns would look pretty similar?

Or like a synchronized dance, you would have to be aware of everyone else part in order to do your part so I can imagine the neuron pattern would look pretty similar in your brain as well as the other person's because you are also aware of their part as you do your part. 

I can't grasp what the significance is.

Edited by spartan max2

15 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Oversword

I don't see it much different than working with someone or even dancing any time humans work in a coordinated harmony to achieve and end is part of our common day. I have gone canoeing with people that were amazing at how they could work with me and the river.

Agreed. Does not explain the experiment with healers apparently having an effect on a people’s mri scans who don’t know the healer is working on them from the next room. Hit the link and check out my source. Keep in mind it’s not an article it’s a peer reviewed paper.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Emma_Acid said:

I’m certain. I also remember going to the bank to cash my unemployment check and seeing ignorant people giving  siekh taxi drivers the evil eye.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, OverSword said:

Does not explain the experiment with healers apparently having an effect on a people’s mri scans who don’t know the healer is working on them from the next room. Hit the link and check out my source. Keep in mind it’s not an article it’s a peer reviewed paper.

Now that is interesting! Anecdotally I know healings are claimed but the skeptics always called such things psychosomatic. 

57 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Now that is interesting! Anecdotally I know healings are claimed but the skeptics always called such things psychosomatic. 

I don’t think there was healing here. They had subjects isolated from alleged healers and scanned their brains with MRI while instructing the healers to concentrate on the subject at specific intervals. During those times there was a measurable change in specific parts of the subject brains, demonstrating that there was a good probability that they actually did have some kind of effect 

Unfortunately I don’t have a computer at home at this time and the pdf is too hard to read on my phone so I haven’t gotten very far into the paper yet.

1 minute ago, OverSword said:

I don’t think there was healing here. They had subjects isolated from alleged healers and scanned their brains with MRI while instructing the healers to concentrate on the subject at specific intervals. During those times there was a measurable change in specific parts of the subject brains, demonstrating that there was a good probability that they actually did have some kind of effect 

I kind of understood that as healing can be considered subjective and the experiment wants objective evidence. This would be an experiment to test the hypothesis that nothing at all should occur differently with the introduction of remote healers. This first stage is still monumental to our understanding of reality so I am sure it is not accepted by so-called skeptics.

• Like 1

Just now, XenoFish said:

Placebo effect?!?

Possibly, but the effect was measured only during the intervals when the healer was instructed to concentrate on the subject. They were in different places so the subject had no way to know when that was and I’m not sure the subject even knew what experiment they were participating in.

• Thanks 2

Just now, OverSword said:

Possibly, but the effect was measured only during the intervals when the healer was instructed to concentrate on the subject. They were in different places so the subject had no way to know when that was and I’m not sure the subject even knew what experiment they were participating in.

Too iffy for my liking. 

4 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Placebo effect?!?

Sounds like the experiment was designed to rule out the placebo effect. From OverSword's post: having an effect on a people’s mri scans who don’t know the healer is working on them from the next room.

19 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Unfortunately I don’t have a computer at home at this time and the pdf is too hard to read on my phone so I haven’t gotten very far into the paper yet.

The OP link only references that study, it dosen't go in to it in detail (unless I am looking at things wrong).

I would be interested to see the full study.

(If anyone finds it feel free to post for us all lol). 

• Like 1

On 6/19/2020 at 5:40 PM, OverSword said:

There is a part about healers that seems to have some proof.

what do you mean = seems?? there either is proof or there is not! there is no grey area.

humans lock onto the bleeding obvious.. I'm a professional musician & I can tell you, without doubt, there is no subconscious brain connection

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

what do you mean = seems?? there either is proof or there is not! there is no grey area.

humans lock onto the bleeding obvious.. I'm a professional musician & I can tell you, without doubt, there is no subconscious brain connection

Edit:

No I take that back. Nevermind.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, spartan max2 said:

Science is all grey area lol.

yeah, until it's not.. are you making a point?

13 hours ago, Will do said:

Here's an example of a little non local consciousness. These musicians are improvising together in perfect sync eventhough they're many miles apart. Playing together with spirit and soul.

there is nothing amazing here= this is what humans do- it's innate, not phenomenal....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/20/2020 at 11:24 AM, OverSword said:

Yes. I was in a popular band from 87 to 2k. After years we could write songs on the fly that people couldn’t believe we had never played before.

edit: not write but ad-lib

Then surely you see what I mean. That's the result of knowing each other and working with that. It's familiarity rather than networking.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Then surely you see what I mean. That's the result of knowing each other and working with that. It's familiarity rather than networking.

yep

• Like 1