Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

CERN set to back Hadron Collider successor

UM-Bot

"On some level I find it irresponsible," said theoretical physicist Sabine Hossenfelder. "Why don't we put the money into an international center for climate models or pandemic models ?"

I totally agree. we need to secure the future, and then (in the future) worry about things like a new super collider, moon bases, etc. Right now, climate change, renewable energy, education, jobs, health care, housing, and pandemic study are far more important...And will also cost trillions to fix up globally. Once the future is secured, then we will have more scientists, more resources, and people willing to do the work/spend the money on a much greater level. But first things first. You don't build a fancy deck, gazebo, or pool when you have no roof or functioning plumbing and wiring.

• Like 2

It is not really so much a lack of money as a lack of desire that keeps some projects from being funded.

I wager people spend more on lip gloss, eye liner, hair color and "manscaping"  than on education, jobs, or climate change.

Resources are there if people can be convinced to change their priorities.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, UM-Bot said:

Plans are in motion to replace the gargantuan atom smasher with a new accelerator that is four times larger.

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/337716/cern-set-to-back-hadron-collider-successor

Why not say sod it and build a giant one around the equator or as the decades pass bigger and bigger ones will need to be built.

11 minutes ago, Dracolley said:

And then the world ends.

Why would that happen?

11 minutes ago, Dracolley said:

Why do we have to investigate everything?

You obviously don't.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Seti42 said:

"On some level I find it irresponsible," said theoretical physicist Sabine Hossenfelder. "Why don't we put the money into an international center for climate models or pandemic models ?"

I totally agree. we need to secure the future, and then (in the future) worry about things like a new super collider, moon bases, etc. Right now, climate change, renewable energy, education, jobs, health care, housing, and pandemic study are far more important...And will also cost trillions to fix up globally. Once the future is secured, then we will have more scientists, more resources, and people willing to do the work/spend the money on a much greater level. But first things first. You don't build a fancy deck, gazebo, or pool when you have no roof or functioning plumbing and wiring.

I think we have enough money to do both, it just requires willingness, also there is talent pool for both the sciences, if we close something entirely that talent pool will be under utilized, and one cannot just shift from physics to climate or something else. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/21/2020 at 1:13 PM, Dracolley said:

And then the world ends.

I distinctly remember that the World didn't end when the LHC was turned on despite all the doomsday predictions. They didn't even make a small dent to Geneva. Why should this time be different ? 

On 6/21/2020 at 1:13 PM, Dracolley said:

Why do we have to investigate everything?

Investigating the world around us is human nature.I couldn't imagine not wanting to know how the world works. 

• Like 1

On 6/21/2020 at 12:13 PM, Dracolley said:

And then the world ends. Why do we have to investigate everything?

No, it will not "end the world". And we "investigate everything" because that's what humans do. It literally sets us apart from other animals.

• Like 1