Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mass Stabbing in Reading

Setton

38 minutes ago, Hugh Mungus said:

I'd say picking on unarmed park goers makes you a coward and not a hero. But each to their own

You show me one time I said his actions were anything less than reprehensible.

5 minutes ago, Setton said:

It takes some kind of courage to put your life on the line for any cause, however twisted. And there is no denying that terrorism is an efficient way to harm an enemy

Recognising those facts doesn't mean you support their cause.

It takes some courage to say it takes some courage to kill innocent old people in a park.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Setton said:

You did imply courageous i.e. brave.......just sayin'.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Hugh Mungus said:

It takes some courage to say it takes some courage to kill innocent old people in a park.

Which is not what that post said.

But you know that perfectly well. Why let reality get in the way now?

3 minutes ago, itsnotoutthere said:

I wouldn't go so far as to say brave but if you think courage is automatically good, you're either a toddler or an idiot.

Edited by Setton

6 hours ago, Gromdor said:

Just the shooting charge was dropped- and possibly only temporarily: https://www.kob.com/albuquerque-news/attorney-files-motion-to-release-steven-baca/5765067/

"But, I want to make it absolutely clear: the reason he is not facing that charge right now is because the investigation is not complete," Torrez said.- from the article.

He is still facing three charges-  aggravated battery and two counts of battery against three women at the protest.   Start beating up on women and people will come after you with knives and skateboards whether you have a gun or not.

They sure will. He was supposed to appear in court today and the only link I can find is from the Albuquerque Journal which I can't post because I don't subscribe and most of us probably don't either. I did manage to see that he was released on his own recognizance. That was posted 5 hrs ago.

1 hour ago, itsnotoutthere said:

You skipped over the "however twisted" in the same sentence.

Imperial British soldiers were courageous as they built an empire that the sun never set on. It is only in a post colonial era that such actions may appear less honorable to some. That does not denigrate their lives, nor their actions in service of God and King at the time. Some of the places that became British colonies were at the same time trying to expand their territory through imperialism. Not on the scale Y'all managed but simplifying it to Europeans taking over non white skin areas is a bit disingenuous. 

Edited by Jarocal
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hugh Mungus said:

Are you saying this man put his life on the line by stabbing innocent people having a picnic in the park?

Of course, he didn't.  Until they know they WILL be endangering their own lives in such acts, they'll carry on unhindered.  When citizens begin to kill them during the act or in its aftermath, fewer will try these atrocities.  Look at Israel and watch the frequency of such attacks.  It is uncommon for them to be arrested.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Setton said:

Except they do work to find out what motivates Islamist extremists. But because it's been around for a while, that can be as simple as finding a black flag and a copy of Dabiq.

Right wing terrorism is a new phenomenon people are still working to understand. We don't know what the common themes are yet.

Well, I think the reason they don't probe into the motivation behind Islamist terrorist attacks in the UK - at least publicly - is that it would call into question the underlying assumption that Islam is a Religion Of PeaceTM, and that would open a can of worms. 

There was an article in Dabiq magazine - the propaganda publication for ISIS, issue 15. It was called "why we hate you". Here is one key section.. 

"...The fact is, even if you were to stop bombing us, imprisoning us, torturing us, vilifying us, and usurping our lands, we would continue to hate you because our primary reason for hating you will not cease to exist until you embrace Islam. Even if you were to pay jizyah and live under the authority of Islam in humiliation, we would continue to hate you. No doubt, we would stop fighting you then as we would stop fighting any disbelievers who enter into a covenant with us, but we would not stop hating you.."

You can't find this on google, as they have censored it out. However, you can find it on DuckDuckGo. 

http://clarionproject.org/wp-content/uploads/islamic-state-magazine-dabiq-fifteen-breaking-the-cross.pdf

• Thanks 5

11 hours ago, Setton said:

I wouldn't go so far as to say brave but if you think courage is automatically good, you're either a toddler or an idiot.

Or I look up the dictionary definition.

courage:- bravery · braveness · courageousness · pluck · pluckiness · valour · fearlessness · intrepidity · intrepidness · nerve · daring · audacity · boldness.

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

Well, I think the reason they don't probe into the motivation behind Islamist terrorist attacks in the UK - at least publicly - is that it would call into question the underlying assumption that Islam is a Religion Of PeaceTM, and that would open a can of worms. 

There was an article in Dabiq magazine - the propaganda publication for ISIS, issue 15. It was called "why we hate you". Here is one key section.. 

"...The fact is, even if you were to stop bombing us, imprisoning us, torturing us, vilifying us, and usurping our lands, we would continue to hate you because our primary reason for hating you will not cease to exist until you embrace Islam. Even if you were to pay jizyah and live under the authority of Islam in humiliation, we would continue to hate you. No doubt, we would stop fighting you then as we would stop fighting any disbelievers who enter into a covenant with us, but we would not stop hating you.."

You can't find this on google, as they have censored it out. However, you can find it on DuckDuckGo. 

http://clarionproject.org/wp-content/uploads/islamic-state-magazine-dabiq-fifteen-breaking-the-cross.pdf

"the underlying assumption that Islam is a Religion Of Peace"   How the hell did that ever become a thing?  Saatchi & Saatchi perhaps.

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, bee said:

nice bit of side stepping after what looked like an unguarded moment resulting in inadvertent revelation... ^_^

:ph34r:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2255581637_a59a956bfe_b.thumb.jpg.2e5fbb9f94459357af69896429197cd1.jpg

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, quillius said:

:ph34r:

And as usual @bee disappears at the first sign he's in danger of learning something.

Edited by Setton

52 minutes ago, Setton said:

And as usual @bee disappears at the first sign he's in danger of learning something.

:whistle:

• Haha 3

17 hours ago, Setton said:

It takes some kind of courage to put your life on the line for any cause, however twisted. And there is no denying that terrorism is an efficient way to harm an enemy. 

Recognising those facts doesn't mean you support their cause.

forgive me if I am wrong but is it not common belief that being a martyr (putting your life on the line) guarantees a fast track to heaven with lots of virgins etc etc?

if so, assuming they have total belief in what they are doing and where they will end up - I don't see the courage you speak of?

• Thanks 2

Saw this on the BBC news website, & frankly i'm a bit confused.  :- https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53152212

Am I right in thinking this means that in the wake of the death of a black man 4000 miles away, it's fine to say 'Black lives matter'  But in the wake of the deaths of three innocent white men by an Islamistic terrorist it is offensive & an offence to say 'White lives matter'

Is that the gist of this story??

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, itsnotoutthere said:

Saw this on the BBC news website, & frankly i'm a bit confused.  :- https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53152212

Am I right in thinking this means that in the wake of the death of a black man 4000 miles away, it's fine to say 'Black lives matter'  But in the wake of the deaths of three innocent white men by an Islamistic terrorist it is offensive & an offence to say 'White lives matter'

Is that the gist of this story??

you should know how this all works by now!

• Like 4

37473.jpg.050e4581498f01972d9f79e267392dc9.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

4 hours ago, itsnotoutthere said:

"the underlying assumption that Islam is a Religion Of Peace"   How the hell did that ever become a thing?  Saatchi & Saatchi perhaps.

George Bush, I believe, in the immediate aftermath of 9/11 ?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

And they've run with it ever since.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, quillius said:

:whistle:

As @bee goes to great pains to point out, there's nothing wrong with misgendering someone so I doubt he has any problem with it.

Thank you for walking into that one.

Edited by Setton

3 hours ago, quillius said:

forgive me if I am wrong but is it not common belief that being a martyr (putting your life on the line) guarantees a fast track to heaven with lots of virgins etc etc?

if so, assuming they have total belief in what they are doing and where they will end up - I don't see the courage you speak of?

That's a valid point and certainly diminishes the 'courage' required.

Although I'd like to point out again that courage was not my choice of words. I simply said right wing terrorists are still scared. So is suppose it's still true to say Islamist terrorists are not scared as they don't believe they have anything to fear from death.

1 hour ago, RoofGardener said:

Quite the opposite. Most of the world thought of Islam as a religion of peace until 9/11.

The US has done a very thorough propaganda campaign since then.

I recommend Islam: A Short History by Karen Armstrong if you want to become more informed.

• Like 1