Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
UM-Bot

Should you hunt ghosts in your own home ?

34 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

acute

I did some minor ghost-hunting in my home recently, and wish I hadn't.

If you are in a building where lots of people have lived (and died) over the years, you can always rustle up something.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jon the frog

A good way to care about your anxiety...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jethrofloyd

post2.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Haha 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Seti42
Posted (edited)

Every odd experience I've ever had has been either in the place I was currently living, or a surprise in a place I visited without the intention to hunt for 'ghosts'.
I've never gone looking for weirdness...It either finds me, or not.  (By far mostly not, thankfully.)

I also think if you go looking for it, you'll prime yourself to find it. 

Edited by Seti42
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
papageorge1
Posted (edited)

I suspect I have a non-physical presence in my home but I enjoy it and welcome it. At a predictable time of day it makes a scraping dragging sound for which I can find no normal source. It has been continuous in the late morning for years now and there is an unexplained stain on the ceiling in an area the sounds often emanate from.

I have no intention of doing further investigation and suspect it is my dad checking up on things. He took family matters seriously when alive. The sounds oddly took a break for a month or two right after my grandson was born. My dad had other interests? My mother died in 2019 and it started up again right at her 2020 birthday.

The noise occurred during the writing of this post. 

 

Edited by papageorge1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kaikou

I think it depends on your circumstances. Going out to places has drawbacks too.
It is possible for things to follow you back. Typically you don't find out that it's happened until it's too late.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
acute
1 hour ago, papageorge1 said:

The noise occurred during the writing of this post.

If the scraping sound happened while you were typing, it could be arthritis in your knuckle joints.

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
'Walt' E. Kurtz
Posted (edited)

No you shouldn't. just banish it If you believe there is something paranormal going on at your own place.  @acute what happened when you went ghost hunting in your own home?. 

Edited by 'Walt' E. Kurtz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
acute
22 minutes ago, 'Walt' E. Kurtz said:

 @acute what happened when you went ghost hunting in your own home?

I heard a lot of noises that I couldn't explain, and saw a man dressed in 1970's clothing.

I spoke to whoever it was, and asked him to tell me his name, then I downloaded an app to record overnight.

He said his name was Stan, but I worked out that he was a 'low level' spirit  (Don't ask how, it's way too complicated to explain)  and he was not to be trusted.

I did more recordings with clear results, then I asked him to leave, and I believe he did.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
'Walt' E. Kurtz
4 minutes ago, acute said:

I heard a lot of noises that I couldn't explain, and saw a man dressed in 1970's clothing.

I spoke to whoever it was, and asked him to tell me his name, then I downloaded an app to record overnight.

He said his name was Stan, but I worked out that he was a 'low level' spirit  (Don't ask how, it's way too complicated to explain)  and he was not to be trusted.

I did more recordings with clear results, then I asked him to leave, and I believe he did.

@acute would never have done the same thing and also i would have shat myself if i would have experienced what you did. Just to be sure I hope you banned whatever was there. I banned what was in my place with an LBRP and it worked just by playing the vid from the tube. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
acute
Posted (edited)

@'Walt' E. Kurtz

I'm not sure what I think about sage, salt, and banning rituals.  Maybe they work if you believe enough, but I don't think they solve the problem.

In my experience, lingering spirits just need talking to.  If you tell them where they are, and where they should be, they usually go.

 

Edited by acute
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kittens Are Jerks
5 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

I suspect I have a non-physical presence in my home but I enjoy it and welcome it. At a predictable time of day it makes a scraping dragging sound for which I can find no normal source. It has been continuous in the late morning for years now and there is an unexplained stain on the ceiling in an area the sounds often emanate from.

Um, not sure why you refuse to investigate. Assuming the noises are coming from your attic, you might have squirrels (or other animals) there which would explain the scraping sounds and stain on your ceiling. It is not unusual for animals who have taken up residence to defecate and urinate in one spot. If animals are not present, you should at the very least investigate the stain in case of a leak. The longer you leave it, the more expensive the repairs will be.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
papageorge1
15 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Um, not sure why you refuse to investigate. Assuming the noises are coming from your attic, you might have squirrels (or other animals) there which would explain the scraping sounds and stain on your ceiling. It is not unusual for animals who have taken up residence to defecate and urinate in one spot. If animals are not present, you should at the very least investigate the stain in case of a leak. The longer you leave it, the more expensive the repairs will be.

It is an attached condominium. I have looked in the attic and found nothing amiss. It is the weird sounds that have me convinced that whatever it is, it is not small animals. Can I prove my claims to a skeptic 'no' and that was not my intent in this thread. It would be extremely difficult to say the least to get to the spot of the stain and frankly I am not that motivated. I acknowledge the sounds and the stain can be unrelated. It is the sounds that are most mysterious to me like someone dragging heavy furniture along a hard floor for about three to four seconds at a burst. I've heard this type of sound described in other paranormal cases for what it is worth.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kismit

Here are a couple of interesting rules.

3d. Trolling: We have zero tolerance for trolling on the forums. We define 'trolling' as the act of posting intentionally false, controversial or offensive comments designed to start arguments or to provoke, bait or annoy other members.

And

3j. Thread derailment: Do not derail or 'hijack' threads with posts that are either off-topic or designed to draw attention away from what is being discussed.

Thread cleaned.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
razman
58 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

It is an attached condominium. I have looked in the attic and found nothing amiss. It is the weird sounds that have me convinced that whatever it is, it is not small animals. Can I prove my claims to a skeptic 'no' and that was not my intent in this thread. It would be extremely difficult to say the least to get to the spot of the stain and frankly I am not that motivated. I acknowledge the sounds and the stain can be unrelated. It is the sounds that are most mysterious to me like someone dragging heavy furniture along a hard floor for about three to four seconds at a burst. I've heard this type of sound described in other paranormal cases for what it is worth.

Maybe there was a murder in the house and it's the sound of someone dragging the body.B)

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
razman

When they hid it in the attic.:o

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kittens Are Jerks
1 hour ago, papageorge1 said:

It is an attached condominium. I have looked in the attic and found nothing amiss. It is the weird sounds that have me convinced that whatever it is, it is not small animals. Can I prove my claims to a skeptic 'no' and that was not my intent in this thread. It would be extremely difficult to say the least to get to the spot of the stain and frankly I am not that motivated. I acknowledge the sounds and the stain can be unrelated. It is the sounds that are most mysterious to me like someone dragging heavy furniture along a hard floor for about three to four seconds at a burst. I've heard this type of sound described in other paranormal cases for what it is worth.

As long as you're confident you're safe. That's the primary concern.

 

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
acute
1 hour ago, razman said:

they hid it in the attic.:o

Oh, come on.....

It's always in the basement. :yes:

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
the13bats

Why is the picture of the old sofa in the run down room the go to pic for haunted?

Well i metal detect in my own yard why not hunt spookies here too, not to brag as this is a fixer upper over 100 year old but with full 2000sqft attic and basement its 4 floors and does have cool history, a B&B and speak easy, also other businesses,

While i havent put in much dirt pirate time i have found a lot of cool yard junk,  even though seller and some neighbors said this joint is haunted i solved all their big claims within a month of moving in and we have had zero experences, but any time i take a pic in basement or attic its got orbs ;)

Like i always say if a person is pestered by spookies just be a skeptic, we never have any issues...:sleepy:

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
'Walt' E. Kurtz
Posted (edited)

@acute

I felt a presence and odd smells like from fresh Roses in the middle of the winter and perfume. "If you tell them where they are and where they should be they usually leave" Oh thats what women tend to do with me :)

Edited by 'Walt' E. Kurtz
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish

Hunt ghost to your hearts content, just be sure not to let your imagination get the best of you. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
moonman
Posted (edited)
On 6/22/2020 at 3:20 PM, XenoFish said:

Hunt ghost to your hearts content, just be sure not to let your imagination get the best of you. 

When people go looking for something they almost always find it, whether it exists or not.

I would not recommend ghost hunting in your own house to anyone that isn't FIRMLY grounded in reality.

Edited by moonman
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XenoFish
Just now, moonman said:

When people go looking for something they almost always find it, whether it exists or not.

I would not recommend ghost hunting in your own house to anyone that isn't firmly based in reality.

I don't care what people do really. If they want to ghost hunt so be it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
moonman
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I don't care what people do really. If they want to ghost hunt so be it.

But then we get a hundred garbage threads with titles like "OMG BEST EVP EVER" and blurry photos of nothing, along with requests for "help" because they think their house is haunted.

IMO, keep your (and my) sanity intact - don't bring that crap into your house. Go snipe hunting somewhere else - don't **** where you eat.

Edited by moonman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.