Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The illusion of Matter

zep73

On 1/18/2021 at 3:25 PM, Desertrat56 said:

I think I said this before - counting is not the same as knowing how many something is.  Counting is just repeating words in sequence.  Knowing how many something is  is a different kind of understanding.

But you can build a framework with it to understand the universe. The fact that it works shows demonstrably that "numbers" represent reality.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Emma_Acid said:

But you can build a framework with it to understand the universe. The fact that it works shows demonstrably that "numbers" represent reality.

What works, counting or knowing how many something is?

On 1/17/2021 at 11:29 PM, Emma_Acid said:

It literally makes no difference.

If context makes no difference to you then you must, by definition, be a nihilist.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2021 at 3:11 AM, Harte said:

It doesn't matter what you're counting, not mathematically anyway. Because mathematics isn't defined by reality. It just describes it.

Harte

It's all about context actually.  I agree that the maths will work the same regardless of what you are counting, but if you don't know or care why you are counting, why count?  It just becomes a meaningless exercise if it has no context.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alchopwn said:

It's all about context actually.  I agree that the maths will work the same regardless of what you are counting, but if you don't know or care why you are counting, why count?  It just becomes a meaningless exercise if it has no context.

Hi Alchopwn

Yes I can understand what you are saying because when I buy material for a job I have to know how many of each dimension and I do sort for the best they have so they are as similar as possible. If I am hired to go count trees in the forest do I need to have a checklist before I determine a tree is a tree because it's only 6" tall or bent a certain  way if it looks like a duck and walks like a duck and quacks like a duck it's usually a duck. it just depends on what the numbers needed are to be interpreted in the way the data is intended. I don't do math while sitting around in and office or restaurant if I am there for more than 15 minute I do start counting and calculating tale/chairs/light fixtures/windows just to pass the time.

jmccr8

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/20/2021 at 8:54 PM, Desertrat56 said:

What works, counting or knowing how many something is?

Both. Its the same thing.

On 1/21/2021 at 5:55 AM, Alchopwn said:

If context makes no difference to you then you must, by definition, be a nihilist.

Nonsense. What you are counting makes no different to the fact that counting is a thing.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2021 at 5:58 AM, Alchopwn said:

No one is saying this. You're inventing an argument.

• Like 1

In my other lifes, i've been photons, spacerock, dinosaur pee and some supernova gases.

Edited by Jon the frog
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Emma_Acid said:

Both. Its the same thing.

It is when you are an adult, it is not when you are a child.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/6/2021 at 12:26 AM, Emma_Acid said:

Nonsense. What you are counting makes no different to the fact that counting is a thing.

Counting is an act, not a thing btw.  You cannot point to counting as a thing, you can only point to the act of counting.  And as to engaging with what I actually meant, your answer doesn't suggest that you understand the point I was making.

6 hours ago, Alchopwn said:

Counting is an act, not a thing btw.  You cannot point to counting as a thing, you can only point to the act of counting.  And as to engaging with what I actually meant, your answer doesn't suggest that you understand the point I was making.

---------------------------> https://youtu.be/By2hmo323xM?t=25

Harte

I was pointing at it while it was counting. :D

Harte

44 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Holy Hell, this argument is so ridiculous. 

Nah. It's just funny.

It can't be ridiculous. Ridiculous isn't a thing. You can't point at ridiculous. :D

Harte

• Like 1

Just now, Harte said:

Nah. It's just funny.

It can't be ridiculous. Ridiculous isn't a thing. You can't point at ridiculous. :D

Harte

But I can count how many times the word ridiculous is used in the above sentience.:tu:

• Haha 2